Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've been talking to a lot of people on the forum and have played until after becoming a dragon. Going to be removing the game until the English comes out as there are some bugged npc's and if I'd patch it, probably will really screw it up even more.

Reviewing as if Divinity didn't exist (will be comparing further down).

Grading system A+ for best, D+ is failing, but close to being improved while F would mean best to just remove it from the game.

Story, it is a nice ride. Damian is evil, he is as bad as Sauromon from Lord of the Rings. Things he'll do will make you think "Oh man, that sucks!" Not in a negative way, but in a story sense of the result of certain events. So far I'd have to give this an "A+", Larian knows what their doing when it comes to this part. This is a game that involves a lot of reading, it is one thing that I expected of Larian and there isn't anything I can "nit pick" at either!

Character/Environment Interaction - This is a solid "A+" though I do miss npc's not having you arrest for stealing items off them or killing livestock. They all got something to say and you don't walk around talking to 20 npc's that just say "Hello" or "It's nice out" like in so many games where they are just dull filler to make a town look populated. Each one feels like they are there for a reason other than to make a town look populated.
Example (minor spoiler - you'll come across this in the first 20min of gameplay)

In the tavern. After solving a quest to remove a bunch of drunks. NPC's that were sitting outside will actually walk in the tavern, up the corridor and sit down at their table.

Graphics - I'm gonna hold this with a "A-" as I don't have the best of hardware. The shadows are blocky when talking to npc's and the camera is zoomed in. When swimming in the Fjord, I'm unable to tell if my character is really in the water or ontop of it. This really looks screwed up. The rest of the game really looks nice and those are the only 2 things that really bothered me.

Level Design - This will be a "B+" as some of it looks repetitive. Fortunately there is a nice variation between what you see. There are some nice puzzles and looking for some switches on walls, levers, and there are even more books to fill you in on the background. They may look repetative, but are not dull. You can expect interacting with npc's to do a quest as well as the usual finding keys, pushing switches and levers.

One level, I expected to find a boss chamber and it was a room filled with chickens. I still don't know what the point is, but there was quest material was found in there

Combat - "C" not going to spend a lot of time on the controls here, it is a learning curve and Larian has work to improve range/made targeting. How and what your character can do in each class is upgradeable in their skill charts. You can make cross breeds instead of a pure warrior, have some mage (heal) ranger (evade) and even summon stuff if you want. It is however best to be at very strong in at least one field. Warrior is the easiest to get used to at the moment.

Monster AI (artifical intelligence) This is really good, probably too good in some cases. It is hard to lure monsters away from their mages and ranger friends and they like to dog pile you (get EVADE). I also got polymorphed by a boss, so they can have all the skills you can learn. Believe it or not, a monster 1 or 2 levels above you really does make a huge difference.

Dragon: it flies as I'd expect it to. The skills you get are nice. I really can't see how to even suggest improving dragon flight. Though like mage and archer, cannot manual target (yet), though it isn't hard to hit your opponent once it is targeted.

You get a taste of dragon flight early on before you have to conquer the battle tower. You don't even expect it when you become the dragon knight, it is when you...ok that be too much of a spoiler!

Skills/Stats/Menus: This is an "A" it is simple, yet vast. Firstly, you don't spent a lot of time in menus doing stuff or changing equipment. You get hot keys to set spells, skills, and food. Also can press enter for the "tactical pause" and change a set of weapons. I have 1-handed weapon and shield, Bow, and 2-handed Sword. This is really nice to have! Also can manually use food/drink instead of hot keying 8 different kinds of foods. Actually you spend more time in the inventory window in Divinity 1 than in this game.

Stats: you get the following
Vitality - Everyone needs to invest in this one. I try to have it just a little less than my main stat. Each point gives you +7
Spirit - This is for how many mana points you get. Each point gives +7
(main stats)
Strength - Effects weapon damage, HP recovery , melee defense and Conditioned body (weakens poison spells).
Dexterity - Improves range damage, critical hit bonus, and range defense.
Intelligence - Improves spell damage (including mage attack for melee/range weapons!), Indomiant Will (weakens curse spells) and mana regen rate.

Character setup, spoiler tag if you really don't want to know. There isn't anything story wise in here.

For my warrior.
Vit - about close to what Str would be.
Spirit - points as needed, you get a nice skill that lowest the cost of spells by up to 50%. I think this stat is too weak or useless, normally int raises mana points.
Str - majority of the points in here, I have like 5-10 more here than in vit, at first it was even.
Dex - as needed for bows. It is nice to use a bow to pluck off mages if you don't want to fight them like a man...(a.k.a. avoid dog piles from warriors). Archers and mages are cowards, they like to run and this saves time and hp!
Int - I have a total of 8 for a level 24 warrior. I avoid armor that requires this stat as stuff that doesn't will offer the same protection, if not better, but is rarer. I try to get jewlery that has magic resist.

I guess at looking at everything, the game is a high B. Matches those of the other reviews, didn't realize this until I had a log run (marathon training) and really thought about it. I guess to say it isn't as good as Divinity: Sword of Lies would be an utter lie. There is some work for improvement but that game wasn't perfect either, as much as we'd all like to say it was. Nothing ever is, there is always a flaw in everything. This isn't just a game, it is a masterpiece and well done. Since there are enough threads on the negative, here is what I really did like.

Improvements I wish where in Divinity: Sword of Lies. And stuff I really liked in general.
+ pushing and knocking stuff over. I don't know why, but I find it funny having crates and barrels laying all over after a fight, like a real brawl took place.
+ Tactacle pause, basically a stripped down version of your inventory to use food/items and change weapon sets (Sword Shield, Bow, 2 hand sword, for example)
+ NPC's saying stuff without you needing to click them and can read at the bottom of the screen. This is either from NPC's that are not significant in the game or holding a conversation with another npc. A shop merchant will use this feature to advertise his stuff for example.
+ Rewards system. I love being able to chose your rewards instead of getting the same thing all the time.
+ Tabbed shop, nice to not have everything mixed up when buying and a quick "buy back" if you clicked wrong item.
+ "Take all" from chests/corpse instead of clicking each item.
+ "inventory bag" hovers in air, instead of junk all over the ground when monster dies. Same thing if a barrel or crate smashes.
+ busted barrels/crates are removed from the game, helps to ensure I looted them all smile
+ Summon class, nice to separate mage from a summoner.
+ NPC voice over. Even though I cannot understand a word of German, they do sound really nice. What ever you invested in them, it was well done and I really hope it pays off so you can do it again in Divinity 3.
+ weapon/armor enchant. Unlike Charms, these can be removed and upgraded later on!

+ Nice that the dragon gets armor and skill points, didn't expect that and is well liked!
+ Can use your trainer in the battle tower to train some skills without using skill points.
+ Pet (though I really don't use it, kinda fun to have)
+ Item runners, really nice to have. Of course the one must be sick of gathering Ginseng by now and is about to jump off the tower.
+ Quick send item to Battle Tower storage
+ Mindreading, often very interesting. It has made me change my mind, especially choosing an enchanter. Radcliff went back to Hogwarts...

Stuff that did carry over that I love! (might be more that I've missed).
+ right click still exits shops, inventory, and menus.
+ can close doors
+ food heals (drinks restore mana)
+ tables and desks are loaded with stuff, the environments never look empty or dull.
+ shops and quest rewards are randomly generated. You can save/load until you get something you'd really like!
+ Graves still have a little (often humorous) story when read.
+ All graphics are in high detail, nothing was done "cheaply".

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Fabulous review LL...regardless of thoughts and opinions. Certainly not fan-boyish, even though we know you are. smile But definitely from one familiar with and can compare to the original Divinity. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Can't wait for the English version that hopefully has some or all of yours and others suggested fixes and bugs implemented or corrected.

Is reality just a fantasy?
journeyman
journeyman
thx for the review.
I wish they had invested more time in Aleroth. It was the biggest letdown I've ever experienced in a RPG. Especially because the area before you hit the Orobas Fjiorde, namely Trümmertal, was so well designed and fun to play through. The first time you see Aleroth you're like: "wow, I really wanna check this place out", and when you finally enter it, you realize that there's nothing more than a short quest and some NPCs standing around...You can clearly feel how they must have run out of time at this point, since the same goes for the last level, die Hallen der Seelen. It kinda reminded me of the showdown in The Witcher, only worse.
Good game overall. A lot of work and dedication must have went into creating Trümmertal and leveling up my character was very addicting. smile

The package/content of the CE edition was a mixed bag. The dragonslayer figurine with the two handed sword and the cloth map looked great, but the tatoo and soundtrack were disappointing.

Graphics are okay besides the animation issues...

I'd rate it 7/10 and hope Larian releases some sort of content update for the second half.

old hand
old hand
Thanks for the review.
It was a pleasant read.

enthusiast
enthusiast
really good review, thanks

stranger
stranger
I DO like reviews, unfornately i couldn't read all of yours cause of the spoilers.
I have the German version but played it just a bit.
My VGA Cooler is at his end, and I'm just about to buy a new card, but to do so, I would need to buy also a new power-supply.
It's not that it's risky to play, but sometimes the fan does not help with VGA's temperature wich happens to raise in about 230ºF ;/

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Wow I'd avoid playing until you get the new powersupply and fan. Personally I used newegg.com when I built my system 3 years ago. I got a forton group powersupply and it has been working great.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard