Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
EDIT:
"Easy to figure out navigation and controls" I read by one of the comments on GOG and THAT's what I mean intuitive wink

WHAT I find so enormous great by the Divinity games is that they are "great in their simplicity" to learn them handle! Combined with a addictive gameplay it makes all the Divinity games for me a fantastic experience I never had before!

Trying to play other RPG's I fast experienced that the Divinity games have something that other RPG's didn't have: easy and clearly to learn handle AND I can't say it enough: great in their simplicity to learn (I call it intuitive and hope you understand what I main?), BUT also many possible ways to play them !!
Divine Divinity is my TOP-favorite since many years!
Divinity II Ego Draconis may follow on the second place (both with FoV, I'm already sure!!),
And third, Beyond Divinity, despite his skilltree and some other little flaws ... but still, for me, on my top 3 list.

Also playing my first RPG's on an Xbox, Ego Draconis is fantastic and once more (!), the best intuitive to learn game in comparison with other RPG's I try to play on Xbox! (Oblivion, Risen, Venetica)

So my most big suggestion to Larian:
Please, don't change the style of the "making of your games" like I try to explain above: intuitive to learn because of the "grandeur in simplicity" !! What is NOT the same as saying that your games are easy to go through, that's another thing and I make a note for this:
I love it that a game is HARD to play. Examples: difficult to finded items, strong hidden secrets, big quests to solve, strong enemies to defeat, big world to explore, a big variation in RANDOM loot [love it that it is all just the "roll of a "(Tom) Dice" hahaha ]

One suggestion: make more hidden items and locations to find and more big caves/dungeons! The greatest dungeon I love the most, still(!), is the dungeon beneath Aleroth (DD). Only for this dungeon I wish to play DD over and over and over again and again :hihi: ....

Also the Humor, the music and the Skills and Quests are amazing freaking good in all the Divinity games !!!

So yeah, I hope my suggestions are still clearly enough between all the things I said? wink

Last edited by Joram; 26/08/10 02:40 PM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
apprentice
apprentice
Agree on all points, and kudos to Larian for the UI design in Ego Draconis: there were a LOT of really nice touches that are so good, they're certain to be stolen by others in future games :P

Intuitiveness relies on "working how you're used to", though, and there were places where stuff you'd expect to work (escape, enter, doubleclick) did not.

Only real puzzlement I saw about the UI was how you added skillpoints to skills, though - couple of people reported confusion about that. They were expecting +/- buttons in the description area, not arrows by the skill button.

Game Designer - ThudGame.com
Technical Director - MorganAlley.com
Associate Producer - PayneAndRedemption.com
QA Lead - Furcadia.com
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I read already many times people are "annoyed" about the "platform puzzles" in ED.
Sometimes I too because I have problems with "TIME based" puzzles. I remember at least 2 platformpuzzles where I must reach an next platform before an amount of seconds, otherwise you must begin (over) again or you will die because the platform goes down in lavastream!

I have much patient, but I can fully understand many people are annoyed !

I like puzzles in a RPG !! The Keara Fortress puzzle I really love it! smile And the most platform puzzles too, except the ones that are "time based".
So don't stop making more "puzzles" in your games Larian! I like it!!

My suggestion about puzzles (so the next games are even better and more intuitive) :
1) make a (hidden) possible second way to solve a puzzle for people who didn't like the puzzles! For example:
  • a) provide an additional skill :
    • * a skill so a player can for example STOP the TIME for a few seconds or more?
    • a skill like Telekinesis (see DD) so the player can move a lever from a distance so he must make LESS jumps from platform to platform or can pull a (hidden) lever by using Telekinesis so the puzzle is immediately solved, but with some minus points for the reward of solving the puzzle on that way or some enemies comes free by using the hidden lever and the player must first kill all enemies before he/she can take the reward (with XP OR no XP (?) for killing these enemies)
  • a NPC : finding a NPC who can help you (via Mindreading?) to solve a puzzle? For example: if you Mindread the NPC you discover HOW and WHERE you can pull a (hidden)lever or something else so the puzzle is solved or the puzzle haven't his "time based" element anymore!
  • Or : via Mindreading a NPC (a Mage, for instance), you learn a "spell" so the time stops if you speak the spell while you make the puzzle or whatever!
  • Or ... I'm sure other people here have also more suggestions for alternative ways .. ?

Just some of my thoughts for an alternative wink
Please make the reward for solving a puzzle higher IF the player must put his/her SKILLPOINTS in a additional SKILL for solving a puzzle on an alternative way.

OR: give this Skill some extra's the player can ALSO use in BATTLE biggrin :
suppose the additional skill is "Telekinesis", then supply here and there some levers on a wall or behind a waterfall, in a big fountain or whatever ... and if the player find those levers and pull them via Telekinesis (other ways to pull them are NOT possible or ONLY possible via Mindreading?), some mechanism begin to work and :
  • 1) some creatures resurrect and help you in battle ...
  • 2) or some "traps" appear for damage nearby enemies or enemies that comes closer ... !
  • 3) or a spellbook appear you can use against those enemies in that specific area AND possibly the player can "learn" (one of the) weak spots of the enemies ... ?
  • 4) or a weapon appear that is strong/good against specific kind of enemies ... ?

A second suggestion:
I love the idea the make the game from easy to very hard to play!
So also put here an there "books" OR give the possibilty by some NPC's to Mindread them to find out more about a kind of enemy ...
... and so the player find out more about the strength and weakness of most enemies so the player can make different strategies to kill them ! That aspect I really love !! Then the player can choose to play the game on very hard AND use the knowledge about (most of) the enemies he must kill so the game is playeble, also at very hard IF the player wants to make the effort to make "time" to learn this knowledge!!

Thanks for reading my suggestions !

Last edited by Joram; 23/09/10 07:52 AM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A new experience I discover :
Comparison on xbox Ego Draconis versus Risen :
the controls of the gamepad in Risen are horrible/terrible in comparison with the intuïtive controls in Ego Draconis !!

I play Risen for hours and hours trying to learn the combat (and other) controls, but it's so difficult to learn handle them frown ... For me they're NOT intuïtive at all ! I hear something about Risen II ... hope they learn about their mistakes !? smirk

I prefer 1000 times more a Divinity game, so let's come up with the Dragon Knight Saga !! biggrin

(but in the meanwhile I try to play a little bit further in Risen. Maybe I learn ever the controls ... maybe ... !)

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard