Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#436803 25/01/11 03:37 PM
C
crpgnut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
First question: The expansion is feeling pretty claustrophobic. Does it ever open up beyond a few streets? I haven't gotten past the angry tree, so I'm not sure what is that direction.

2. I've noticed that my mage's damage seems to have a finite limit, unlike melee. You'll always find a weapon that does more damage, but if you max destruction and Way of the Battle Mage and get intelligence to 100, the mage can't do more damage. Is this correct, or am I missing something.

Here is a scenario. My mage has Magic Missile at 15 and has maxed intelligence, destruction, and Way of the Battle Mage. Is there a way to ever do more damage with that spell? I ask because I had all this stuff maxed before coming to FOV.

3. Mindreading has gotten super-super expensive. I'm getting roughly 2,000 xp for anything I kill in FOV, so far. I have a debt of over 250,000 xp so leveling up isn't going to happen for a long, long time. Most quests are rewarding about 4-6000 on completion. I'm not meeting anything yet that is challenging, but I assume that'll change. I've only done the quests on Lanilor Lane and none of them have much combat. Does xp start to go up exponentially sometime soon? Creatures a couple levels higher than me aren't rewarding much xp compared to the new Mindreading costs.

Last edited by crpgnut; 26/01/11 05:03 AM. Reason: changed title

'nut
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
1. It does open up a bit. You'll always be in the city (except for the very last part) but I didn't find it too claustrophobic overall, though that is admittedly a subjective matter. There's plenty for you to do, though!

2. Don't know. Somebody whose playing style involves a bit more finesse than mine (i.e. everybody else!) may be able to answer this.

3. Mindreading is expensive. Not prohibitively so, I found that I still gained enough experience to take on the end battle without too much difficulty, but I would suggest investing lots of skill points in the mindreading skill, perhaps even maxing it out. Skill points absolutely abound in FoV so it's not like you'll go short elsewhere, though obviously exercise some caution in the early stages!

J'aime le fromage.
C
crpgnut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I've put a few points into mindreading, but I probably have 6-8 skillbooks already. That's a good suggestion, which I'll implement tonight when I get home. Thanks for the response.

'nut
journeyman
journeyman
when u max mindread you bring the exp cost to zero which is great i also put abunch into wisdom

Save Save and Save some more
C
crpgnut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hmmm, nobody has played a mage that has maxed skills?

'nut
I played a mage in my first run through.

I do not remember my level but it was not the highest as I missed some parts in the game. Especially in the first part.

Anyway I never felt left over regarding damages with the spells.

Imarion

C
crpgnut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yep, I've not been having any problems, at least on normal. I was wondering if a mage was feasible on higher difficulties though. I almost never play any other class, so if I replay it'll be another mage, with different support skills.

'nut
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I've found that mage damage seems fine - Maxed out destruction, +100 magic damage on each dual wield weapon and 100 int, and it all seemed to stack properly. Never used 'way of the battle mage' though, as I don't like it's weakening effects - I spent the skill points on extra magic attacks instead (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to max out all four - magic blast, firewall, fireball and magic missile).

C
crpgnut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I never used magic blast at all. It only hits one target, albeit for massive damage. I maxed the other 3 and way of the Battle Mage. BTW, Battle Mage only has negative effects at low levels. At high levels those become bonuses to indomitable will, etc. Of course in FOV I raised healing and reflect quite a bit too.

'nut
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Never realised that about way of the battle mage - I might respec and give it a try.

I originally held off on magic blast, but it's useful for tough bosses when your other spells are cooling down.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard