Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Divine Divinity > Dragon Knight saga in almost every aspect.

+ Isometric view
+ climate
+ gorgeous, hand-crafted graphics
+ music
+ humour

The game could use some deeper character developement system [more elaborate talent trees] and some unique character classes [similar to diablo 3] but apart from that it is perfect.

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yeah, music in Divine Divinity is more memorable. The 4 seasons singing one is good;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkb-450Av8M

I remember I first heard it when some random merchant came up to me and I started trading with him as this music played in the background.

Divinity 2 has great music too, Broken Valley's music is great.

journeyman
journeyman
What screen resolution does Divine Divinity go up to?

Support
Support

The download version of DD supports any resolution your monitor can display, and includes widescreen support.

The disk version of DD has an official maximum resolution of 1024x768; the game itself can be played at higher resolutions, but opening the automap may cause the game to crash (the frequency of which is system dependent). I could play at 1152x864 (text was a little small on my monitor at 1280x960), with an odd crash (rare enough I never remembered to save first, so I ended up reverting to 1024x768); others were fine at 1280x960, etc.

journeyman
journeyman
ok, off I go to see if I can find some screen shots of DD at 1920x1200

I remember when I used a mod to play Diablo II at 1920x1200 it was nearly unbearable with how small things were on my screen.

Thanks for the info

journeyman
journeyman
I am going to see if I can download this tonight...because now I wanna play it. Badly. c: DD that is.

A
veteran
veteran
A
You can listen to a kind of poem which was written by me there as well ! smile wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Which is odd is that I remember Divine Divinity as an ugly game (which looked like it was 320x240 or something) with a cluncky UI that's horrid to navigate, and some pretty bland dialogue, at least for the first part of the demo I played.
I disliked it faster than Diablo II. Was that truly the DD Demo I recall or not?
Or is it showing the game in a bad light if it was the DD demo?

Support
Support

The starting section of DD was fairly heavy on the hack and slash, but I found there were enough quests in Aleroth for the demo to show the potential of the full game. When I got to the two skeletons in the catacombs having a conversation, the game really became a must buy.

Playing the demo, I was struck by how much better the game was than Diablo II, with similar controls, but with actual quests and dialog, humour, etc.
Apparently in the demo you could quicksave at the end message and then quickload to continue playing, and see a little more of Rivellon (some opponents were invisible and structures missing, since the associated graphics were not included).

journeyman
journeyman
I'm only about an hour or so into DD while having 20 or so invested in DKS, and I already enjoy DD more, so~ The customization is incredible.

veteran
veteran
Glad you have fun with DD smile ! It's a wonderful world with many nice details ... many secrets awaits you via quests and hidden locations !! It's a fantastic rpg !!!!

I simply can't stop playing this rpg for some unknown(?) reason ... :hihi:

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
There's actually more skills in DD than in DKS. I can summon 8 skeleton warriors at the moment and this should continue as I level up these skills ever more. I can also summon a death knight, cast fireballs, freeze my enemies (very helpful skill against tough enemies), create a poison gas cloud and strike enemies in a shadow warrior form which charges towards them. There's still plenty of more offensive magic skills to learn (there's more than DKS' 4 attack spells) along with defensive and boosting magic such as bless. There's also crafting skills to learn. I'm also learning many passive warrior abilities to increase the damage of my mace and to increase how much fire damage it does.

I'm quite rich in DD at the moment and very powerful. I'm in the middle of destroying the entire Orc camp. I've gained a low reputation now, when I entered Rivertown's marketplace, the guards attacked me and I was forced to kill them.

journeyman
journeyman
well I have thought about with one is better DD or DKS

it's quite difficult to say with one is better, because DD is a 2D game (your looking from above)
and DKS is a 3D game. so I will pick a few points and comment with one is better and why!

for game play is DKS slightly better, because when you got to your inventory or skill tab, the game stops and will only resume when you exit that screen. in DD is that not the case when you go to your stats window or skill window. you can still be killed by an enemy.

for game controlls is DD better because you can do just about everything with the mouse.

for how realistic the world around you is DD by far superior then DKS, because it's much more lifly with bunny's and birds and day a nightfall in DKS it's never night!!!!!!

for graphics is quite easy DKS wins on this point no questions asked

for leveling, items and enemy's is DD better because in DKS is from broken valley to sentinal island quite a difficulty bump and again when you go to the orobas fjords. items are not scaled to your level, it takes to long for that you have the nicer items.

for storyline is DD better because in DD the story becomes full cirkel in DKS the story has lots off gaps for one is that at the end of ego draconis I had to read the end three times to fully understand what realy happend. and second how did the divine come in the hall of echoes is still not antswered.

I will also comment on the topic what you want to see in Divinity III

I'm not God, but I'm close
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by conjurer
items are not scaled to your level

Thank! The! Gods! smile

There's nothing more annoying than items/enemies being scaled to your level in RPGs.

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by conjurer
well I have thought about with one is better DD or DKS

it's quite difficult to say with one is better, because DD is a 2D game (your looking from above)
and DKS is a 3D game. so I will pick a few points and comment with one is better and why!

for game play is DKS slightly better, because when you got to your inventory or skill tab, the game stops and will only resume when you exit that screen. in DD is that not the case when you go to your stats window or skill window. you can still be killed by an enemy.

for game controlls is DD better because you can do just about everything with the mouse.

for how realistic the world around you is DD by far superior then DKS, because it's much more lifly with bunny's and birds and day a nightfall in DKS it's never night!!!!!!

for graphics is quite easy DKS wins on this point no questions asked

for leveling, items and enemy's is DD better because in DKS is from broken valley to sentinal island quite a difficulty bump and again when you go to the orobas fjords. items are not scaled to your level, it takes to long for that you have the nicer items.

for storyline is DD better because in DD the story becomes full cirkel in DKS the story has lots off gaps for one is that at the end of ego draconis I had to read the end three times to fully understand what realy happend. and second how did the divine come in the hall of echoes is still not antswered.

I will also comment on the topic what you want to see in Divinity III

You can pause the game via pressing the space bar while you access your inventory/skill/stats in DD...

Also, The Divine wasn't in the Hall of Echoes, he was in some timeless dimension. Other than that, I agree with you.

Though I must note that DD was easier on my eyes for me.

addict
addict
I just wanted to note, because it's pissing me off at the moment, that I can't recommend the current version of Divine Divinity (GoG, 1.05 remastered, etc.) because a major plus of the game (the MUSIC) is BROKEN - almost no transitions between music tracks in above-ground areas. Very sad to see, and sadder still that the remastered version was lost by Larian so they'd have to start all over from scratch if they wanted to fix it - not very likely.

veteran
veteran
Hmmm ... okay, some music tracks are missing and that's indeed very sadly ... especially the lovely funny soundtrack when you enter the blue Boar Inn or the Dwarven Bread Inn ...

But I have an older computer without soundboxes and just trying it out to play DD without sound (!!) and also THEN DD remains very addictive !!!! I know, it's simply incredible ... but I've played from L 1 to L 16 without sound and still love DD !!
Can you imagine that ??? :hihi:

Besites :
on my GOG remstered DD the music is still nice enough to enjoy DD and only a few sounds are missing, but the overall works good like it should be smile .

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
journeyman
journeyman
What does that mean:
the remastered version was lost by Larian

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I never knew GOG's version had a lost sound problem. I simply brought a disc version from Amazon and it wasn't that expensive either. So I get to enjoy all the music and the game functions fine.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Weston
What does that mean:
the remastered version was lost by Larian

It was in one of Lar's recent status updates. Larian's copies of the remastered game code (version 1.05) is gone, because someone labeled a CD wrong. This means that if Larian wanted to make any more fixes to the latest version of DD, they would have to start all over from version 1.04.

Originally Posted by Demonic
I never knew GOG's version had a lost sound problem. I simply brought a disc version from Amazon and it wasn't that expensive either. So I get to enjoy all the music and the game functions fine.

Yeah, all the features except for support for higher resolutions and bug-fixes. I have the disc version from the days of old as well. My main problem is that now I have to choose between a game with a nice-looking resolution that doesn't crash or a game that has the soundtrack working like it should. The music is so amazing, as we all know, it's an award-winning soundtrack. Otherwise it wouldn't matter a lick (as with most games).

Originally Posted by Joram

on my GOG remstered DD the music is still nice enough to enjoy DD and only a few sounds are missing, but the overall works good like it should be smile .

The Four Seasons Singing, Just in Time for An Ale, The Song of the Wind...it's just not the same without hearing these tunes fade in when you enter the specific areas for them. I just hear "Roads Shaded by Green Eaves" over and over and over again. frown I'm better off just putting the soundtrack on a playlist and letting it play. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard