Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#445824 23/06/11 09:28 PM
virumor Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've been playing this for the past week, and I'm loving this game. It's the sequel to American McGee's Alice (a game known for its unique take on Lewis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland) which came out ten years ago and is pretty great as well.

It's a platforming game with some combat sequences thrown in at certain points. The art design and level design are simply fantastic, and the combat is quite fun as well (better than the first game).

As expected from Wonderland, it features quite some colourful characters, all adequately voiced.

Anyone else playing it?

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Not yet, but it's on my list as I loved the first one.

Still not sure whether to get in on XBOX or PC.

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
addict
addict
This game is incredible. Possibly my favorite game of 2011 to date. The worlds are rich and detailed, the platforming is fun and interesting, the combat is satisfying, the graphics and artistic direction are breathtaking, etc.

I really loved American McGee's Alice, but this game is head and shoulders above it in every single way. The gameplay mechanics in Alice: Madness Returns will make you never want to go back to American McGee's Alice.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
veteran
veteran
Macbeth,

Unless you like abusive DRM, you should probably get it on X-Box.

Please click the banner...
virumor Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
Macbeth,

You only need to activate the game online once, after that you're not bothered anymore at all.

Fallout: New Vegas and other games that come with Steam are much more a nuisance.

Originally Posted by Libertarian
This game is incredible. Possibly my favorite game of 2011 to date. The worlds are rich and detailed, the platforming is fun and interesting, the combat is satisfying, the graphics and artistic direction are breathtaking, etc.

What's also amazing is that the game is in fact an 'indie' game, since it was mostly developed in China. Spicy Horse is based in Shanghai.

In many ways, this game is a middle-finger to the so-called "AAA" games of today, with their multi-million budgets, but shallow and short gameplay.

addict
addict
You're quite correct, virumor. Spicy Horse did a brilliant job on it.

I wasn't impressed with Grimm, but Madness Returns blew me away.

Considering that they're an independent Chinese studio that's been compared to mediocre outsourcing houses, I'm shocked how richly detailed and finely crafted everything in Madness Returns is.

It's a shame that they're moving into the mobile market now, but I guess it's hard to spend a lot more money making great games like Madness Returns and not having it sell as well as it deserves to.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Libertarian
"Spicy Horse's direction is "definitely going to be about free-to-play online multiplayer games," which McGee is "much more excited about" than packaged console titles, he said. Spicy Horse wants to "prove that experience can translate to 3D, and maintain that casual audience -- so we want to be there as that wave starts to come up."

Said McGee, "The reason I originally came to China is that I wanted to get into that new model -- I wanted to get away from console game production and retail, disc-based sales." In other words, Alice 2 was a "beautiful distraction" from the company's true focus, in his words. While he expects the title to be a success, the studio is pursuing "new style development, new style monetization" here on out..."

down

virumor Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well, hopefully there will be some more "distractions" then.

Considering how big free-to-play MMOs are in China, it's understandable that they'd focus on that.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
Macbeth,

Cheers smile
I also hear that on console you get the original Alice as well. That sounds nice!

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
veteran
veteran
I believe so, yes smile

I only played the demo of that, back in the day, as I missed it in the shops, but it was weird and wonderful and completely crazy - in a good way! laugh

Please click the banner...
addict
addict
Between this and Shadows of the Damned, EA has made this gamer a pretty happy camper. What fantastic games. Spicy Horse and Grasshopper Manufacture definitely didn't disappoint with these two.

journeyman
journeyman
I played this today at a friends house and it pissed me off at first because I kept dying (This was at the end of Chap 2) fighting 3 teapots and that sludge baby thing, then 4 teapots spawned and another sludge baby thing. Granted, I had never played the game before, nor it's predecessors. Took me and her rotating like 5 tries to finally get it done. It was on Easy however, so I don't feel very accomplished. But, once I got the hang of the game, it was rather enjoyable. The graphics are just stunning. I would rather watch someone play this than have a go myself however.

And just because I'm curious now, how far is everyone?

Also, favorite weapon? In my short time playing I became very talented with the Pepper Grinder, but I love the speed and animations of the knife. <3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard