Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Y
Hello all!
I've been playing Divinity for a bit and there's something I've never understood. What is the difference between Melee damage and Magic Damage? I have a warrior and I never know whether it would be worth it to use a weapon that has just melee damage or one that has both.
Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

journeyman
journeyman
Str affects Melee damage, so if you have high Str, use those. (Warriors)

Int affects Magic damage, so if you have high Int, use those. (Mages)

Though I have seen some builds balance out Str/Int for some great DPS combining melee and magic with a Balanced weapon. ^^;

addict
addict
When it comes down to it, they both do the same thing, which is deplete the health bar. Although some enemies are more subject to one than the other. I'm one of those players that uses an almost completely balanced build, and have had great success on nightmare with it. I like to DW with one melee and one mag weapon. I think McBeth commented on this a few months ago, but I would have to dig for the link.

EDIT: I tried to find it, with no luck. Being born upside down a naked, I'm not the brightest lamp in the shop.

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 30/06/11 03:21 AM.

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

veteran
veteran
Like Senior Cinco said : both do the same thing.
If I'm right I think it's something like this, depending on the different enemie types and there resistances :
  • A Warrior enemy have a higher Strength > so higher Melee Armour Rating > so better use Magic Damage weapons to kill them faster ... or Ranged damage (bow)
  • A Mage enemy have a higher Intelligence > so higher Magic Armour Rating > so better use Melee Damage weapons to kill them faster ... or Ranged damage (bow)
  • A Ranger enemy have a higher Dexterity > so higher Ranged Armour Rating > so better use Melee and/or Magic damage to kill them faster ...

But I think they're also enemies like Necromancers or Ranger's with magic spells ... or warriors using magic ... so then a Balanced weapon is the (al)most appropriate weapon .
There are balanced bows doing ranged + magic damage ...

Of course it depends also on your hero's stats which kind of damage get the highest boost (.. % to .. damage) ... for the best profit with a certain kind of weapon ... or magic spell .

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard