Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I know this probably won't be answered till gamescom but I thought I'd see what people think. From reading Lar's posts I think this game is set decades after the events of DKS and you play as a new dragon knight. I might have got it hopelessley wrong but I think the main character will be the son or daughter of the DK from DKS and he / she aspires to be much powerful than his parents were. For example researching Maxos era technology and building the empire for his / her own personal goal.

I don't think it's set in the past as it could contradict the story of the games released so far. What do others think?

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

addict
addict
This line from Lar's text "the story of the first Dragon Knights (from the time Maxos was a very common word)" seems to indicate it does take place in the past when there were still other Dragon Knights.

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I don't know you may be right but it could be possible that it is still set after the games. Lar could have meant part of the game involves the character looking into the story of the past dragon knights (Maxos era) and researching technology etc from that age.

As I said I may be wrong but we will find out for sure next week unless Lar answers in the meantime.

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

S
S
it be interesting to see if Lovis was the main character if we're going back to the original history of Divinity.

veteran
veteran
I think it would be better for Talana to be the main character. As we learned in Ego Draconis, Lovis was a HUGE JERK. It would be nice to see the real Talana in action.

Last edited by Stabbey; 12/08/11 02:41 PM. Reason: Lovis was a jerk
old hand
old hand
Sounds like it's set BEFORE DKS and I hope so. "Sons" and "daughters" of my character doesn't work well for me. Maybe my character didn't decide to have children...

"The story of the first Dragon Knights (from the time Maxos was a very common word)"

This says it all and I'm glad it's during Maxos' time. Project E should be after DKS as the next Divinity 3.

I'm hoping the playable character isn't a set character. Maybe we'll see Lovis, Orobas and Talana but we should be able to make our own character too. I'm guessing he/she dies in the end anyway (Dragon slayers hunted all dragon knights and dragons down, remember?), unless he/she escapes somewhere or gets trapped in another realm (like Damien at one point).

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Demonic
"The story of the first Dragon Knights (from the time Maxos was a very common word)"

This says it all and I'm glad it's during Maxos' time. Project E should be after DKS as the next Divinity 3.

I assume it's not only centuries, but maybe even millennia before the first Divinity game ...

But at least I'm sure it will be a *long* time before Divinity 2 ... I'm guessing here "centuries" again ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Demonic
I'm guessing he/she dies in the end anyway (Dragon slayers hunted all dragon knights and dragons down, remember?), unless he/she escapes somewhere or gets trapped in another realm (like Damien at one point).

If it's set before the games then maybe old age would claim the character before the dragon slayers wiped every last one out. Ugh, I had visions of a crap ending to the game where you get slain at the end. I do hope that does NOT happen...

old hand
old hand
I thought Project D was to continue the story of the Dragon Knight from Div 2?

Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
It might do as I originally thought but it seems to be set around a new character. The DK's son prehaps? However a lot of people think it's set in the past. Will have to wait till next week to find out for sure.

old hand
old hand
Halo: Reach...

Enough said.

Well maybe not but I found Halo: Reach's ending great. I mean so many games have the heroes surviving at the end and when other games break away from that ground, their endings are often great. The Ultimate Sacrifice Ending in Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best ending.

Though thinking more about it...how would your character die? Would Dragon Slayers all jump him/her and start slaying him/her? Dragon Knights live long lifespans (thousands of years from what I recall) and since Talana was around up to Divinity 2's events, then that shows that your character should die of old age for a long time. Maybe (as I said) he/she gets trapped in some other dimension as to avoid killing the player character off. I mean for a game where we build up an empire, having the character then killed at the end would be annoying unless the story was so powerful, that we saw Dragon Knights getting killed off, one by one and having your character die makes everything even more epic and dramatic.

BTW, unless The Dragon Knight or his/her "son" can travel back in time, this story isn't the sequel to Divinity 2:

Maxos disappeared eventually and is barely mentioned by normal characters in Divinity 2. The guy doesn't even get a mention in Divine Divinity. Maxos "being a common word used" pretty much shows that the game is set during the time of Maxos which is long before Divinity 2 and long before Divine Divinity.

Last edited by Demonic; 12/08/11 05:38 PM.
Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I wasn't really clear before but long before Dragon Commander was announced I assumed the two games was that one continued the DK's story and the other the divine's and somehow the storylines of both games came together. Now as more info has been released this obviously isn't the case. From what I can gather now Project E is the 'sequel' and Dragon Commander is a sort of spin off.

I was just wondering if DC was set in the future or past the latter seeming more likley now. As for your character being killed off if they did choose to do that what you said about us seeing the DK's being killed off one by one (prehaps the ending cutscene) seems to make more sense. However if they chose not kill the DC off well it's got me thinking... I suppose the game will simply end when you have conqured everything.

As for lifespans I thought it was just true dragons such as the Patriarch that lived for thousands of years. The DK's longer than a human but not that long.

I, too, think it'll be set in the past.

I also hope the PC will be a blank slate, much like the Dragon Knight in Divinity II. Mind you, I wouldn't object to Lovis and Talana and the others showing up. I'd especially like it if we could choose to ally with them or fight them (or just not to bother with them).

If it set in the deep past, then I don't think we need to worry overmuch about an ending that basically goes "And then the Dragon Slayers killed you, lol". The story would have to last up to and through Divine Divinity and beyond, and that would lead to all sorts of trouble. More likely, the PC's ultimate fate will be left unknown.

old hand
old hand
@Arokh

Dragons are immortal and if you read the books in Divinity 2, it states that some people even thought they are gods who created the world. The Patriarch claims that his name gives birth to new creations...so it could be true.

Dragon Knights however are part human and part Divine. They would live for thousands of years. When you speak to Simon The Philosopher, he says he envies you because of your mind as a dragon and because of how long you would live for (I swear he says this). In any case, Dragon Knights became Dragon Knights when Maxos made them so. When Maxos vanished thousands and thousands of years ago and his Battle Tower was locked by magic, the Dragon Knights that remained were the last and eventually they were hunted down one by one. Talana remained until Divinity 2 which is THOUSANDS of years later from the time of Maxos. I think it's Lovis that states that Dragon Knights aren't immortal.

@Wotan

"And then the Dragon Slayers killed you, lol"

LOL, I found this line funny.

As for the PC's fate...I personally don't know what Larian will do. I think they will leave the PC's fate unknown (much like the PC of Beyond Divinity) as you said. I don't however think the story would last to Divine Divinity and beyond because we didn't see Dragon Knights there and it wouldn't make sense for The New Dragon Knight to be fighting his/her own war (choosing to be good or bad) while The Black Ring fought against Aleroth and the other races. It not only disagrees with the lore but it wouldn't make sense.

Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I stand corrected then over lifespans. I also agree that the story should not last till Divine Divinity as it would contradict the story, lore ete of the existing games. As long as they don't kill the DC off at the end I think like both of you suggested they will leave his fate unknown ending the game when you have conquered everything.

old hand
old hand
^
Perhaps it'll have open ended gameplay too.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I wonder, will that be a dragon or a robot like in transformers..

Arokh Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Nah, it will be a dragon knight like in Divinity 2; human who can turn into a dragon.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I think it would be better for Talana to be the main character. As we learned in Ego Draconis, Lovis was a HUGE JERK. It would be nice to see the real Talana in action.

Yeah Talana or Orabas either one would be nice to see in action

old hand
old hand
After reading the "first look" on RPGWatch, I now wonder whether the protagonist will be fixed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard