Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
paro Offline OP
OP Offline
If you havnt beat the game dont read!

any ways after every thing is said and done do you think that all the dragon can come back? And by that do you think that they could restore the dragon knights?

Don't poke the fire. It might poke back!
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think we will find out what the future holds for the dragons and dragon knights in Project E aka Divinity 3. My guess is the Dragon Knight from the previous game will have the task of restoring the dragon knights; bringing worthy humans before the Patriarch for him to turn them into Dragon knights. Whether this is explained in the story or if you (as the playable character) helps the DK as part of your campaign against Damian or not remains a mystery until more info is released.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Support
Support

Project E will have a top down camera view, so is unlikely to contain any dragon knights. IMO it would be silly to not do anything else with them, though (especially if Dragon Commander does well).

If/when they do get restored, I think it more likely to involve dragons and dragon knights that left Rivellon returning, rather than the intervention of Patriarch. If he was going to get directly involved, he probably would have done so sooner.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

Project E will have a top down camera view, so is unlikely to contain any dragon knights. IMO it would be silly to not do anything else with them, though (especially if Dragon Commander does well).

This is what makes me think it will be explained in the story or you meet the DK from Divinity 2 who appears as an NPC. Even if he / she does not do anything other than tell you "I'm currently working on restoring the dragon knights" or something like that.

As for the Patriarch, I wondered why he didn't get involved sooner. He seems to just has a sit on the fence attitude or does not really care as human's life span is just a blink of an eye for him. Maybe we will see more of him in project E prehaps if he feels directly threatened and needs to take sides.

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

old hand
old hand
^
You probably get some news from some random NPC's that the Dragon Knight is restoring the Dragon Knights to help The Divine One in his campaign to stop Damien. I doubt you'll see the two but it's possible that The Divine One is the playable protagonist of Divinity 3 since he's the only one with the power to kill Damien. The name of the series pretty much refers to The Divine One's heritage since he's basically a god and Damien is a demon. It'll make sense to resume the role of The Divine One to fight Damien.

Optionally, you could play some new protagonist who is a paladin of The Divine One (like the protagonist in Beyond Divinity) tasked with battling Damien and The Black Ring. The story could involve your eventual promotion to General of The Divine One's army and in the final battle, you get to Damien with The Divine One and help him fight against Damien. Meanwhile, you have the Dragon Knight and his/her dragons fighting from above.

Damien could have the Beyond Divinity protagonist on his side. I've always wondered what's happened to him/her...

Seriously, having all the protagonists of the series meet in one final battle would be epic.

veteran
veteran
Maybe the Patriarch could change his mind once the Divine is free and give the Dragon Knight the power to create new Dragon Knights (without dying).

The reason why I think the Divine will be the playable protagonist of Divinity 3 is for a combination of reasons:

1) In Divinity 2, the whole reason why Zandalor told you to go on the gambit to resurrect Ygerna was because Damian was too powerful to be fought directly. Damian is basically a demigod - the backstory explicitly says that the battles between the Divine and Damian during the great war literally changed geography - flattening mountains and raising plains. That wasn't an exaggeration, look at Aleroth from the Great Market-Lanilor Lane hill - it's REALLY high up now, instead of being by the river like it was in Divine Divinity.

2) The plot of Flames of Vengeance was having Berhlihn tempt the Dragon Knight by offering to free the Divine, and at the end the Divine is freed.

3) I doubt that Larian would go to the trouble of resurrecting the Divine just to have him sit on the sidelines for the final confrontation while a third unknown hero rises up.

4) This game is supposed to be the conclusion of the Divinity arc - which should mean a fight with Damian. Divinity 2 established that the Divine is the best choice in such a fight.

5) The emotional story, the heart and soul of the conflict, is between the Divine and his adopted son Damian. That's the pair that has meaning. Look at how Damian and the Dragon Knight interacted. There was no passion or caring there. Damian was just using the Dragon Knight to open the Hall of Echoes, he didn't care, he didn't even bother knocking down the Battle Tower once the Dragon Knight was incapacitated by Ygerna. He only got really mad when Zandalor told him that Lucian did the right thing by killing Ygerna.

6) Because the emotional conflict is between Damian and the Divine, not Damian and some random new shlub, it would feel wrong, unsatisfying, if someone other than the Divine delivered the final blow to Damian. It would be unsatisfying if the player wasn't in control for that. It would also feel unsatisfying if you build up Random New Shlub #3 for 20-60 hours of gameplay, and then at the final battle, you're not controlling him/her, but a new guy (the Divine) for that.

I think that there was a deliberate purpose in saying that Damian was too powerful to fight directly, and I think there was a deliberate purpose for bringing the Divine back to life, and I think that purpose was Divinity 3.

paro Offline OP
OP Offline
Ya if i remember correct he said that the other dragons did as he did.
And its sorta a thought but the gameplay of DKS is very special becouse of the ablility of being able to tranform and thats something special,if in anyway i would love to see another divinity with another dragon knight you can play as. not saying any divinity game is not cool, just that that fact plays so much into a much larger and cool way to exspand gameplay possiblitys, "the sky is the limit". Needless to say i would love to see a DKS2 im also sure story would be hard to come up with but its not impossible i mean the game could be about restoreing the dragon knights, im also sure that there are many slayer still alive with a hate for them still.

I just think this game is to awsome to let it end here, damion still needs to be defeated,but thats not the dragon knights job its the divine's, but that dose not mean the dragon knight could not help the divine in the quest to defeat him.

veteran
veteran
Sure, there are plenty of ways that the Dragon Knight could return to help in a Divinity 3 headlined by the Divine as player character. Transportation to a flying fortress, destroying a barrier, being a diversion for huge chunks of Damian's army, and many more.

Dragon Commander should be the fix for more Dragon gameplay, though.

Support
Support

In Divinity 3, if you start off as divine there would not be much character development left to do (without some kind of story excuse to reset his abilities).

veteran
veteran
A story excuse could be provided - he was stuck in limbo for 50 years while Damian was out building his empire.

And who says that you always need to start out at level 1? This is a pre-existing character, you could start him out at level 20 and facing level 20 enemies to start out with, and Damian is level 70. Is there really a difference between starting at level 1 and facing a level 50 final boss?

Support
Support

The actual numerical value of the starting level is irrelevant. At the end of Divine Divinity your character is (generally) pretty much untouchable, with only a couple of the end bosses a possible threat. IMO it would be a little lame to simply drop the Divine One's abilities until he just happens to be a match for the most common generic opponents at the start of Divinity 3. That wouldn't really bother me (character resets being a long tradition in RPG sequels), but from a design perspective I think it would be better to play a different character.

veteran
veteran
Interesting discussion wink

I believe the Team of Larian already wrote the whole storyline for Divinity III . What do you think ?
But it's always nice to read the many different opinions and to see how creative minds starts "thinking of" all possible storylines etc ... smile

I have no problem with a start as a level 20 character (like Stabbey mentioned), but like Raze said "character resets being a long tradition in RPG sequels" ... I believe the main character in Divnity III will BE a Level 1 !
PLUS :
I always love it to start with a weak/poor character (for the 'FEVER' aspect in a RPG!) that have at least 1 special connection/relationship with the previous NPC(s) walking/talking in the Divinty Universe ... or whatever ...
It's fine the MC doesn't know what his/her Journey have in store for him and little by little it become more clearly ....
Maybe you, he MC (a warrior, ranger, mage, priest, etc), is connected with the Divine One who wish to take Damian down for once and always ... but unknow forces Damian has turned out that a Divine One can't kill him (or he tried but failed?)... so the Divine One MUST find somebody else ! Maybe this is a little bit too "cliché" story :hihi: .. but there're so much possibilities ... I believe .

PLUS :
I like it if the storyline can suprise us all (gamers) with an unknown turn ... who knows what awaits us question

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think Stabbey has my kind of thinking; what he has said since my last post pretty much sums it up what I personally think will happen in Divinity3. You will play as the divine one with the excuse that he has been in limbo for 50 years which has weakened him etc etc. Although the game will be top down view it does not mean that the DK from Divinity 2 can't be in the game - Dragons can walk as well as fly. smile Anyway a top down view of him / her taking out enemy buildings etc wouldn't look out of place. The leveling issue is like Raze said is irrelevant; he would be just weaker.

A new character would complicate the story I think. But I could be wrong.

paro Offline OP
OP Offline
Like i said befor, even though the dragon knight had no special connections with the divine i belive they could give the dragon knight even more of a story with helping the divine get to his goal.

Hell to be honest something i think would be another cool thing is a 2 person story as in you start out as a new member to the divinity story and go though what ever is needed story wise but later on you meet the dragon knight and from then on out when ever is needed or i guess wanted you could switch in between the 2 each haveing there own ups and downs of course, seeing how it would not make much use of the new guy, you could only play as the dragon knight as a dragon and fight in the air,then fight on land as the new hero.

old hand
old hand
Well part of the Divine One's quest could involve reactivating his abilities. Being trapped in that plane for 50 years could have made his abilities fade as Stabbey said. Damien himself in Beyond Divinity started out at LV 1 despite the fact that he was supposed to be rather powerful by that time. The game could also give The Divine One a few level one abilities (you know the Divine abilities) just to show that The Divine One truly is the Divine One.

That still doesn't answer if it's set in stone if the The Divine One will now have the name of Lucien and be a male. The Child of Chaos novel made The Divine One a male called Lucien by cannon but Larian could easily pull a Bioware - let's say - and have Lucien as the default name which the player can change if they wish along with gender. So those concerned about cannon can play as the default Divine One who has a set and iconic appearance whereas others can create a custom character.

I wonder if the game will even feature character customization in terms of appearance. It's top down right? I'd imagine they might allow for Baldur's Gate or NWN type customization where you can choose skin/hair color and choose from a set of faces or they might just make it like Divine Divinity with the three different models and appearances for each class and gender.

Story-wise it would rather make sense for the player to resume the role of The Divine One I guess. The story wouldn't have that much power to it if you're a new guy simply fighting against The Black Ring while hearing about The Divine One doing all the big stuff and eventually defeating Damien alone.

For all we know though, the game could be party based with The Dragon Knight and Divine One teamed up. The DKS could still turn into a dragon but it'll just work as a shapeshift spell if anything. I'd prefer that actually. Hell, fast travel could consist of The Dragon Knight carrying The Divine One to places.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by paro
Like i said befor, even though the dragon knight had no special connections with the divine i belive they could give the dragon knight even more of a story with helping the divine get to his goal.

Hell to be honest something i think would be another cool thing is a 2 person story as in you start out as a new member to the divinity story and go though what ever is needed story wise but later on you meet the dragon knight and from then on out when ever is needed or i guess wanted you could switch in between the 2 each haveing there own ups and downs of course, seeing how it would not make much use of the new guy, you could only play as the dragon knight as a dragon and fight in the air,then fight on land as the new hero.

Me personaly I'd love a dual campain, 1 for the Divine and another for the Dragon Knight. Though I know Divinity 3 will be top down I really would like to see a future game with DKS style gameplay & have it like DKS where you can choose to play Ego Draconis or Flames of Vengance. This time though instead of ED & FOV have it as Divine One's campaine & Dragon Knights campaine & have both storys intertwine. That would be a dream come true for me, i know that the damned one will be delt with in D3 but the demon of lies became Damian so I'm sure they ould find another threat to for them to team up against.

veteran
veteran
Maybe this story ?
Another nice trick can be that you, the MC, is a new hero (male or female : I really hope you can choose between both genders!)
who is Soul Forched with the Divine One, a new unknown trick Damian maked this trap fro the Divine One, weakened after 50 yezars the Divine One coudn't stand this bloody trap of Damian !!

So now your journey can go on and in different ways you can make an end on Damians forses & his life by the end :
1) find the Divine One and together fight Damian, but that's maybe the most fast path to glory, but also the most tricky one because if you or the Divine One get killed, both are stone dead and Damian and his allies win at the end !!
2) find the Divine One AND find Zanddalor who knows another way ... find/make a strong elixir or whatever that undo the Soul trap Damina maked !! A very dangerous & long difficult task, but if you succeed you or the Divine One can risk his/her life to undo the Soul Trap and mislead Damian (who didn't know you unod the Trap!) ... etc ...
3) you only meet Zandalor first and find a secret passage into Damian's headquarter, steal Damian's Soul Trap Formula and make your own Soul Trap on Damian ... so that you can kill him by surprise biggrin via killing ALL his allies ... or whatever you like ...
4) Or ...
Ooo yes, Divinity III will be fantastic !! I really hope you, the MC, can fill your own pages of your journey .... as a big assy or as a sneaky snapsy or a blasting mage or ... whatever is big pleasure & fun to play ... with an open skilltree and 1 special starting skill for each kind of character (to strengthen the replayability) and random loot, robes for a mage or priest etc etc ...
biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
veteran
veteran
There's a bunch of different ways to go, certainly.

I don't think that the Dragon Knight will be a playable character in Divinity 3 - the top down viewpoint Larian said Divinity 3 will be using suggests that it will be purely ground-based fighting, and I don't see the point in bringing in a playable Dragon Knight if he/she can only fight in human form.

Dragon Commander will probably have to do as the Dragon-form based game.

Originally Posted by Raze

The actual numerical value of the starting level is irrelevant. At the end of Divine Divinity your character is (generally) pretty much untouchable, with only a couple of the end bosses a possible threat.

Look at Laiken. He's been ruling Maxos' Battle Tower for - in his own words - hundreds of years. In story, he's a super-powerful necromancer. In game? He's level 18, the same level the Dragon Slayer was after a couple days spent killing goblins and bandits.

IMO it would be a little lame to simply drop the Divine One's abilities until he just happens to be a match for the most common generic opponents at the start of Divinity 3. That wouldn't really bother me (character resets being a long tradition in RPG sequels), but from a design perspective I think it would be better to play a different character.

They might not have to - A level 20 starting hero could be used to tear through huge numbers of level 5 goblins, for example - that would give the player a sense of power. (You wouldn't get much XP or gold from the quest, though.)

Increasing the skill caps to, say, 30 points (and keeping the Divinity 2 level requirement system for higher ranks in a skill) would also make handing the player 20 skill points at the start of the game less game-breaking.

Far less game-breaking than Flames of Vengeance, where the skill caps were increased by 2 points to 15, and the game handed you about 40 skill points. You literally ran out of useful places to put the skill points.

Originally Posted by paro

That's an idea as well - but substitute the Divine for the Dragon Knight (for reasons I said above). Alternating chapters between the Divine and New Guy would satisfy both the character creation of a new guy and the needs of ending the story with the Divine.

However, it might be a bit disruptive for players, and it would be hard to design, you'd need to keep the two characters separated because of the power gap.

paro Offline OP
OP Offline

That's an idea as well - but substitute the Divine for the Dragon Knight (for reasons I said above). Alternating chapters between the Divine and New Guy would satisfy both the character creation of a new guy and the needs of ending the story with the Divine.

However, it might be a bit disruptive for players, and it would be hard to design, you'd need to keep the two characters separated because of the power gap.
[/quote]

well, have you ever played devil may cry 4? i was thinking of something similer but of course not that play style at all just the idea, If you ask me and this is my opinion but playing as the divine seems a little,well to centered on him,see playing as a guy that never really had the spot light on him/her gives you a more personal feeling for the character,id still play as the divine but as an rpg a major aspect waqs always createing your own hero,even if the hero dosent do the the divine job i think that he/her would have the major aspect on defeating damion and the divine would be the one to really face him down. sorta like the main boss in a game and you got to make your freind stronger and stronger to deafeat the boss and help in the fight but not really do a major part in the fight directly but on the side.

veteran
veteran
I've some questions !

I wonder this:
make all the "suggestions" sense ? I mean: if ALL is "set in stone" already then ... ? (hope not!)

If not, I really love it to give even more suggestions for story, possible quests, etc etc ..
AND ...
I also remember clearly that Lar said they gonna listen to their fans and work in "some way" together with their fans to make Divinity III, like they did it with DD,
correct ?
If so : WHEN and HOW go we start this "work" ? I know you, of Larian, haven't most of the time no time to react on our suggestions, but thinking of "working together" ... I really Hope at least 1 person at Larian Studios can make a little bit more time to give reactions ... otherwise 'I' have the feeling talking to a "wall of death voices" :hihi: ... or something of great silence ...

So please let us know how and when "we" start working active together on Project E smile

EDIT :and also "whereof" can we give suggestions ? Story? Quests? Gameplay? New ideas for features in a RPG? etc etc ... Let us know, I will appreciate that very much wink

Last edited by Joram; 05/04/12 07:50 AM. Reason: see EDIT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard