Print Thread
#466138 11/05/13 07:33 AM
B
banbha Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
am i the only one looking at the turn based combat and wondering if a pvp mod could become a reality at some points

banbha #466141 11/05/13 07:38 AM
If a server client and support for persistent worlds based on D:OS gets added at some point, it will definitely be quite possible. smile

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
B
banbha Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
im thinking an arena style duel - think etherlords but less summons of course

banbha #466151 11/05/13 11:17 AM
old hand
old hand
Some how I feel pvp tends to contradict the general philosophy of divinity games. That doesn't mean it isn't possible (or won't be endorsed by Larian's team) but it just doesn't feel right given the structure and nature of previous divinity games.

meme #466158 11/05/13 02:03 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by meme
Some how I feel pvp tends to contradict the general philosophy of divinity games. That doesn't mean it isn't possible (or won't be endorsed by Larian's team) but it just doesn't feel right given the structure and nature of previous divinity games.

Mod. It will not be in vanilla.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
meme #466172 12/05/13 12:09 AM
veteran
veteran

Dragon Commander won't be like the previous Divinity games but it is still in the same univere. I don't see why there coulnd't be a PvP mode just for fun.

I suggested that some time ago btw: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=463651#Post463651

WOOS
henryv #466173 12/05/13 12:12 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by henryv

You don't know that. And it's just annoying that people say over and over again that it could/should be done with a mod without reading the arguments....... It's probably NOT possible, not with all the features a proper PvP mode should have (matchmaking mechanism/lobby, datamatch (biggest problem), online systems (ladder, tournaments,....)).......

Originally Posted by Indira Weresheep
If a server client and support for persistent worlds based on D:OS gets added at some point, it will definitely be quite possible. smile

You don't need a persistent world for a PvP mode. What you need is some sort of lobby/matchmaking which shouldn't be THAT big problem because Dragon Commander will offer something like that for multiplyer matches against other people and it's coded in the same engine.

Last edited by LordCrash; 12/05/13 12:14 AM.

WOOS
LordCrash #466177 12/05/13 01:09 AM
veteran
veteran
I'd rather Larian focus on making a really good single-player/co-op experience. People gave them money on Kickstarter without there being any mention of resources being shunted to add in PvP, so I think their time and money should be spent first on the features that WERE promoted in the Kickstarter.

If they want to add something like that in as DLC after release, that's fine, but the core game already has a scary looking list of features, including the NPC schedules they didn't actually think they'd have to do.

Stabbey #466194 12/05/13 11:07 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I think pvp could be pretty cool in this game. Say you were in bad relations with your partner, to the point of hating each other. Instead of chat rolls deciding who won an argument, a quick duel would.

Maybe not in the main game, but perhaps in a modded campaign or something. Wouldn't have it for every argument though, only major ones.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My stance on this has remained unchanged since the last thread.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
LordCrash #466203 12/05/13 06:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LordCrash
[quote=meme]Some how I feel pvp tends to contradict the general philosophy of divinity games. That doesn't mean it isn't possible (or won't be endorsed by Larian's team) but it just doesn't feel right given the structure and nature of previous divinity games.

You don't know that. And it's just annoying that people say over and over again that it could/should be done with a mod without reading the arguments....... It's probably NOT possible, not with all the features a proper PvP mode should have (matchmaking mechanism/lobby, datamatch (biggest problem), online systems (ladder, tournaments,....)).......

It is possible less with what you are proposing what a PVP should have (ladder, rankings). Just a friendly PVP with whoever you know or to a stranger without knowing his abilities or so. Warcraft III did it with their modding tools. Just look at the numerous MOD such as DOTA, Fight of characters, heaven and earth. PVP is not solely reliant on matchmaking anyways. Probably means it has a chance...

EDIT: I didn't emphasize it on my first post. Sorry for the misunderstanding if I created one.

Last edited by henryv; 12/05/13 06:57 PM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
henryv #466221 13/05/13 09:53 AM
Don't forget what the editor is capable of
Larian managed to make a Pac Man game and they confirmed it would be possible to even make a tower defense

watser #466294 13/05/13 09:03 PM
veteran
veteran
You don't get the point. PvP from the beginning would be a sales argument because it would broaden the scope of the game.

WOOS
LordCrash #466300 14/05/13 01:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
You don't get the point. PvP from the beginning would be a sales argument because it would broaden the scope of the game.

I didn't even said it's for the sake of sales. Who are you replying to anyways?

apprentice
apprentice
Who are you replying to anyways?
That's indicated next to the subject of the post

Last edited by rupuka; 14/05/13 04:06 AM.
B
banbha Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I see it more like testing battle tactics against unpredictable opponents

journeyman
journeyman
Well....they could add a "drop-in" dungeon master to mess up your life.
They did said engine support 4 player connection, no?

So have other player to join and play as dungeon master and control the mob/boss would be more awesome than pvp in my opinion.

veteran
veteran
A dungeon master sounds nice as well.

WOOS

Link Copied to Clipboard