Page 1 of 2 1 2
#845476 25/02/23 03:06 AM
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Hi,

Why is it I can't find ANYTHING on multiclassing that is confirmed for release?

Some people mention Twitter or Panel from Hell but I can't find it.

It is a pretty major inclusion that will be felt by many if it is left out.

D&D and Baldur's Gate games have always included multiclassing.

And leaving it for AFTER release (if that is the case) can be really punishing for those who want to start theorycrafting multiclass builds or replicating their favorite tabletop character. It would be like releasing a game that is not finished - and multiclassing is something that generally should require a decent amount of playtesting to get right.

I paid for the game in 2020, I really don't want to wait 2 more years for multiclass and have to rely on modders to include those.

I mean, would it be so hard to get some confirmation on this?

Thanks,

Tequila

W
veteran
veteran
W
“Multiclassing rules will follow closely the 5e DnD. On level up characters will be able to continue with their current class or choose a new class, provided they meet the requirements. Multiclassing is not going to be available in Early Access at launch, we're planning to add it later.”

From a Reddit AMA
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/netrz6/multiclassing_on_release/

Had multiple tabs up, wrong link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/fhk1u3/im_swen_vincke_creative_director_at_larian/

Oh, you are specifically asking it the game will launch with it? That’s not confirmed but I wouldn’t stress about that.

Last edited by Warlocke; 25/02/23 03:48 AM.
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Thanks for the answer - too bad these posts are pretty old, and yeah, I was expecting it to be available on launch, that's one of the reasons I paid for the game lol.

The reddit page does say:

"We most likely won't see it implemented until release or late in EA."

So yeah, based on that answer and from what I've seen in Discord, a lot of us are expecting it on release.

I really don't want to wait for a DLC that adds multiclassing. But hey, already bought the game right - guess it's modding community I must seek lol.

Last edited by Tequilaman; 25/02/23 04:00 AM.
veteran
veteran
I expect multiclassing in 1.0. In EA we just got lvl 5 in final patch. We have been only getting core features and low levels, so I don’t see what a benefit of multiclassing in EA would be.

T
Banned
Banned
T
I wait for full release that is for me 29 August 2023 and I will get for free DELUXE version of BG3 because of my Early Access. For those who did not buy Early Access in time will have full release in 31 August 2023 and if they want to buy DELUXE version instead of normal then that will cost more money.
I do not know if this game will have multiclassing in full release that is unknown, but I guess we will get answer at full release if not before that.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 25/02/23 01:55 PM.
A
addict
addict
A
i had a blast on multiclassing with solasta. i hope someone make a mod if there isn't one for bg3. solasta became 200% more fun due to multi-classing.

Also, i hope they will put in random encounter and at least level 12.

Last edited by Archaven; 25/02/23 06:30 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
Larian never promised multiclassing in EA.
There's already some coding to support MC.
I certainly hope and expect that it's available with 1.0.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LostSoul
Larian never promised multiclassing in EA.

Maybe not litteraly ...
But there certainly were some implications:
How will multiclassing work? Like 5e or modified? Also, what can you tell us about your ranger rework?

NickP: Multiclassing rules will follow closely the 5e DnD. On level up characters will be able to continue with their current class or choose a new class, provided they meet the requirements. Multiclassing is not going to be available in Early Access at launch, we're planning to add it later.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/fhq9cq/compiled_baldurs_gate_ama_20200313/

Another mention:
(Time: 52:48 ... hope someone appreciate that i go rewatch old PFH just to find this laugh )

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
F
addict
addict
F
If Larian's going to implement the minimum 13+ prime attribute for classes, they'd better highlight that in neon. I can just see the 8-dumpers crying foul at level 2.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Another mention:
(Time: 52:48 ... hope someone appreciate that i go rewatch old PFH just to find this laugh )

Indeed, thank you grin.

So that’s from summer 2021, I think, and sounded pretty definite. Though as there was an idea at that point that it would be included towards the end of EA, there’s been at least some change to plans. But I guess it’s not reasonable to expect Larian to keep repeating previously confirmed features, however much I’d like reassurance on this feature. It seems most sensible for now to continue to assume that we’ll get multi-classing on release, and to hope that we’ll get to see this for certain in one of the upcoming updates or trailers over the next few months!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Good job on finding that video!

Yeah 2021 is not so long ago, so it seems legit - I like it how they mention doing it AFTER releasing all the classes first, which now they HAVE done.

So maybe we'll get an official update on multiclassing in the next few months?

One can only hope.

EDIT: oh wait, monk hasn't released yet? hmm. so maybe monk first, then multiclassing?

Last edited by Tequilaman; 26/02/23 03:01 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Tequilaman
EDIT: oh wait, monk/paladin hasn't released yet? hmm. so maybe monk/paladin first, then multiclassing?

We got paladins in patch 9, but no monk yet! Looks like that and multiclassing might need to wait for August, given Larian have said there’ll be no more major patches before release.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
One could say it was classical drunk game from Swen ...
Do you know that one, when you bet with someone for 100,- that he will not withstand under table while you hit its desk three times?
(Hint: The point is to hit the table only twice ...)

Simmilary ...
Swen promised us multiclassing after all classes will be released ...
> They dont all get released for EA. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/02/23 07:51 PM.

addict
addict
Any more info on this now? I guess it's just going to be something else that will be untested unbalanced.

stranger
stranger
5E multiclassing rules should be relatively easy to implement. Altough multiclassing in 5e isn't as powerful as in 3.5 you can make some interesting characters with it. But in 5e multiclassing is usually less powerful than sticking with a single class. Tough It would be cool if Larian gave names to multiclass combinations, e.g. a Warlock/Paladin becomes a Death Knight or a Rogue/Fighter becomes a Swashbuckler.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lastman
I guess it's just going to be something else that will be untested unbalanced.
Yup

Just as all the other things we didnt test ...
You know, levels 6+ ... spells we didnt get ... monk ... other subclasses ... combat encounters for the rest of the game ... followers that was not released ... magical items for higher levels ... and so on, and so on. laugh

We just have to hope Larian get enough testers (with good taste) in their studio. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 21/04/23 11:39 AM.

stranger
stranger
D&D isn't designed to be perfectly balanced, Wizards have stated in the past that there will always be overpowered combo's and spells and they like it that way. So don't expect a fully fleshed out and balanced game, as it isn't meant to be. It's meant to be fun.

old hand
old hand
Multiclassing would be a much better topic for the next Community Update instead of more spoilers about special characters or similar...

veteran
veteran
Seems like awfully short Community Update ...
What would be there?

veteran
veteran
Same thing they showed for the Kethric trailer; some clips of gameplay with cool moments and thematically appropriate voice over. Only this time about multiclassing.

Originally Posted by Plato82
D&D isn't designed to be perfectly balanced, Wizards have stated in the past that there will always be overpowered combo's and spells and they like it that way. So don't expect a fully fleshed out and balanced game, as it isn't meant to be. It's meant to be fun.

This is all true, but Larian has made a bunch of changes to how the system works, so there's no telling how things are going to react specifically because there's so many combinations and thus lots of potential for things to go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard