Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Kellwan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Hello Kellwan here. I'm new on the forum, so please - bare with me if I post this in the wrong place.

I saw at a video that Larian Studios would like people to come with suggestions, so here is my adds. First I would quick is noticed you that I am Word-blind, so there might be some terrible typos.. Sorry for that.

So.. I am one of those gamers, who aged too much to have tons of time to play Computer games all the time. With Uni-studies and a active social life, the time for computer games is little. At the same time, I am an old actor in my heart, and the RPG genre's acting parts have always been a important part for me.

My suggestions for things to add to the game, would therefore be: Things to do, in a short period of time, which gives the feeling of roleplaying!

Of course since the game is not out yet, I would not know if these things are in the game, but here is my example list.

Like being able to make a fireplace.. (with fire magic maybe?)

Having some sort of profession/job system.. Just a small standard one, like hunter, smith, baker.. Something something. It could be a system where, if one was hunter, one would have to collected so and so many skins or something, per in-game day. It should of course be optional if players would like to have a profession, but it could be extra gameplay, for those days, where you just need to cool off from books, and Tv-licens is just too expensive smile.

Build a House. Like being able to in-game collect things and make a house.

Some sort of interactive bar n' pubs. Where you and your teammate can go and have a drink, before venturing into the wilderness again. And not just the "Open your inventory and dobbleclick a beer, and then get some stats", since there is no RPG feeling about that.

Maybe some sort of hunger and thirst system (and sleep). This could be optional if players want this on or not, but for RPG players it could be on, and for Hack'n'slash players it could be off.
--
My other main suggestion would be consequences.
Like if you use a Fireball in town, people are going to react to it. And if you use Fire-magic in a forest, you might burn the thing down. Some sort of system where players would have to think twice before going all Rambo with all their abilities and magic.

Consequences also include that alcohol makes the player drunk (or weaker or something) and bad food (if there is any rotten food) makes the player sick. Any form for consequence that invoke the feeling of RPG and inspire for a bit of acting would be awesome.

So those are my suggestions. I hope they help in some sort of way.
I am looking very much forward for playing this particular game, since it seems to finally give the RPG games a new breath, and not just brag about doing so.

Best regards
Kellwan

Support
Support

There will be a Shelter Plane at the End of Time which "...might turn into quite a cosy abode really: a place to put up your feet and relax by the fire, staring out unto the very edge of oblivion".

I don't know if there will be a formal job system, but you can do stuff (like bake bread) and sell the results.

Swen Vincke said he would like to have a hunger system. The problem is many players find it more of an annoyance than a fun / challenging gameplay element.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Welcome aboard smile

It's hard to say at the moment how far the status of the game is as they just wrapped up Dragon Commander.
The first major update video we got since then was about extensive dungeon design work.
No update yet about game mechanics, but I am sure something about those will come soon.

I think most points of yours were already brought up a while back, some might be in, others are probably out for sure as it is difficult these days to please the much wider variety of player tastes.
But what they might have to leave out for story telling and/or streamlining can be hopefully put later in by players in mods with the tools they will deliver with the game.

I make a bet that some modding junkies might even get together to try to recreate the whole original DD game.
Even that is a huuuge project, I think with the help of the dev team supplying them with the scripts from the priginal game they might succeed even I am sure that will take a loong time nontheless.

The problem with some of your wishes is that they are appealing to some real old rpg rock layers like you and me but too hardcore for mainstream gaming who just like a kill and a loot button ;p
But as I read your post I was thinking of a very small team project which just got funded on Kickstarter which just hits exactly that hardcore craving, a Hungarian game project called Balrun:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/balconyteam/balrum
http://balconyteam.com
I am sure that will scritch your scratch for sure as long you can live with the old fashioned isometric graphics.
I would not stir advertising for a main stream game here, but the small indie developers have to hold together, right Swen?
*whipes over those obnoxious red dots which roam over his body* Darn those fireflies...

Last edited by Bearhug; 29/08/13 06:13 PM.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

There will be a Shelter Plane at the End of Time which "...might turn into quite a cosy abode really: a place to put up your feet and relax by the fire, staring out unto the very edge of oblivion".

I don't know if there will be a formal job system, but you can do stuff (like bake bread) and sell the results.

Swen Vincke said he would like to have a hunger system. The problem is many players find it more of an annoyance than a fun / challenging gameplay element.

Welcome to the forum. wave

The hunger system might be good to keep the player from expanding fast. I've recently bought a game called expedition conquistadors that implements this, and it limits expanding some of my options. It is still manageable though.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
journeyman
journeyman
A hunger system where you eat automatically once or twice a day from a pool of rations, as in E:C (though it's too easy to collect rations in it, imo) might indeed be cool. Being forced to go in your inventory every 5 minutes eat something may more probably prove boring.

old hand
old hand
I wonder if we will be able to throw peanuts at the monsters to distract them smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by meme
I wonder if we will be able to throw peanuts at the monsters to distract them smile

hahahaha I really like the idea, and then cast a big fireball in their butts !!

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I thought I might high-jack this thread a little and add my own little much wanted feature. Play time recorder!!! This is a must for me and sadly is missing in Dragon Commander. I can't quiet remember if Eco Draconis included one, I know Divine Divinity doesn't. But please Larian, please add some sort of feature to see how long we have been playing the game for (hours and minutes). To get perfect examples, look at the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. =)

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah that would be pretty sweet! because even thoughg let's say steam says how long you've played in total that doesn't really show the time you've played on one specific character. It would really be cool to have that feature in the game

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Regnox
Yeah that would be pretty sweet! because even thoughg let's say steam says how long you've played in total that doesn't really show the time you've played on one specific character. It would really be cool to have that feature in the game

Not to mention, for me in particular, my net likes to disconnect every once in a while and when it does steam no longer records the game time. =(

Link Copied to Clipboard