Daezoth Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Hey Folks,

I just checked the number of ppl playing DDC on steam:
~1000 players online now

The thing is, that like ~25 of 1000 are playing multiplayer, what kinda sucks, because there are like seven lobbies and they´re always full.... sometimes filled up with bots i think.
I really enjoy playing with other people and I love the fact, that there are rankings, but it is nearly useless with 10 persons playing the game in a more competetive way.

Im not sure how exactly these numbers are, but it is kinda sad that you have to spend more time waiting for people to join in instead of really playing multiplayer.

To the guys playing: What do u prefer? (And why?)

Daezoth

Last edited by Daezoth; 13/10/13 04:01 PM.
Support
Support

I'm not good enough at RTS to play multiplayer. Actually, in general I only play single player games. I don't know anyone IRL who likes the same games as I do, and when and how I play games isn't very conducive to scheduling. The last multiplayer game I played was Diablo II, with my brother; our schedules eventually got out of sync, but he kept playing with the same character, so eventually there wasn't any point in me even trying to catch up. I've tried to interest him in other RPGs, but he only plays Diablo (or Minesweeper).

D
Daezoth Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Raze

I'm not good enough at RTS to play multiplayer.
[...]

Well, no one is ever good at a RTS-Game when he/she starts to play it.

I know that from various RTS-Games, e.g. Starcraft II
There´s like no chance to be good when you start, only thing u can do is to play, play aaand play.

Last edited by Daezoth; 13/10/13 07:33 PM.
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
didnt look in here for a while but seeing this thread i guess i could hop in again and answer that from my perspective...

well... i for one had high hopes pre-release and so did the people i know at least.
would have played competitive for a long time to come and also was prepared to host lans,... featuring it as i did successfully in the past with other games.

but after release it became obvious that we didnt get what we counted on. not because of the game, it was all there and gameplay was pretty damn great and balanced for a release version. but it turns out we bought it from the wrong retailer. gog/vault buyers didnt have any lobby or other official way of getting in touch with other people to play. not even with one another. because of that practically none of us really wanted to give it a try anymore on that level or recommend it to others.
so we played coop, tried strategies, ... and we tried to find others. but with very little success even tho we have a ts server,hp,strong community,...
and even when we found one we had to spend a couple of hours looking for a workaround to a couple of bugs with the connecttoip feature that was left to gog users until we could play each time. and even if that worked there were a lot of problems regarding the different timetables on patch releases on steam vs gog vs vault versions.

seeing that... it just became painfully obvious that it wasnt meant to be although some hopes were still left and directed towards the patch for global chat. and even if that is a really great start it just took too long after all. about now its just that forgotten bad apple in the basket and i dont wanna spend any more energy on it or building the community for it up again from scratch.
even if there are a couple of lobbys with steam players you cant see them as a gog user. so if theres someone willing to try it again because of the patch you just start the game. see 1 user in chat, think about if its worth the hastle to set it up again (tunnel in routercfg and so on) and then you disconnect and write it off.
didnt matter to be honest. the MP part was kind of in a downwards spiral in about 1-3 days after release already. at least with the people i know that got it over gog.
the permitted timeframe for a game to get a good start as a MP game isnt long after all. the "critical mass" to get the snowball started however was there shortly after release. that i know for a fact. at least for my little community.

well....quite a shame really.

Last edited by Killer-Bee; 14/10/13 12:22 AM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
This game has a amazing single player campaign but where it lacks is def multiplayer. Not enough people wanting to play or whatever. I'll just have to look elsewhere for pvp.

old hand
old hand
We certainly made a lot of mistakes on the MP front and have been working on fixing the problems,but you're right that we couldn't deliver it all fast enough. Our plans for lobbies for the non Steam versions depended on a piece of software that didn't materialize as fast as we thought it would and that is how we found ourselves doing things like the Global Chat and direct IP connection (which since the latest patch is a lot easier as it's linked directly to the user in the Global Chat).

There are people playing MP, but the most popular mode is the MP campaign and that's something that is typically played between friends because of the time you need to invest, so you won't see a lot lobbies that are open to all for that. Still, there's new content coming to DC which you'll get in upcoming updates and we are continuing to improve the gameplay.

E
stranger
stranger
E
That's good to hear. Its a great game and I know new content would make DC that much better. Keep up the great work! smile

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard