K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
i somehow stumbled upon this thread
http://www.divinitydragoncommander.com/blog.php?news=70

and was quite surprised when reading the first sentence:
Larian Studios reveals the voting behavior of Divinity: Dragon Commander players.

Over the last couple of months, we’ve been tracking the political decisions of Divinity: Dragon Commander players,...

as probably most players i wasnt aware that i accepted to this kind of information gathering by clicking the eula when i wanted to be able to play the game i bought and cant refund.

how much and what does dragon commander log and send automatically?
aside from my "political decisions", IP,...

edit: not that it isnt fun, interesting or cant be used for all kinds of things... but seeing that the "questions" are very strongly leaned towards real world problems in some cases i am quite uncomfortable to know that the questions i answered in good faith that im just playing a singleplayer offline GAME are not made public and no one can see them, ARE quite contrary sent and loged.
of course some would say it isnt a problem but these kind of informations can be twisted for all kinds of things. and as long as it wasnt hidden somewhere in the eula that i agree to be sending everything i cant remember that i agreed to something like this.

Last edited by Killer-Bee; 25/10/13 10:34 AM.
Support
Support

There was a blog post (The Pitfalls of Politics & Ethics in Video Games) and topic (new video on DC's politics) where seeing stats on the results of political decisions was requested before release. The response:

Originally Posted by Lar_q
Steam has a stats system, so if we have time, we may look into this. It would indeed be interesting.

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
thank you very much for the links and quote.
does that mean that only steam versions are used to collect information?

Last edited by Killer-Bee; 25/10/13 12:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
Yes, it's only via Steam and the only thing that is logged is the number of people who vote for a certain decision - we do not know the identities of the people who voted for something particular.

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
thanks for the clarification!

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
as a non steam user, i say:
go for it! they don't even care.