Print Thread
#479529 22/01/14 07:13 PM
A
Alodarn Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
what confused me, although I eventually worked it out when I pulled up the skill window - was which skill was govenered by which ability.

Would also like to have in the skill info detail that lets you know what the result of putting rank into thingys does:

current: 20-30 fire damage , range 100m, blast 10m
next rank: 25-40 fire damage, range 100m, blast 12m

Alodarn #479548 22/01/14 08:54 PM
I think that might be difficult insofar as different talents etc. might have various strengths of effect on abilities (say the Pyromaniac talent is a 10% damage increase, and some other new talent improves the duration of skills like firefly etc.).

As a result of this, it should probably just be revealed when hovering over the skill increase what it will do. Say you hover over fire magic and it says "Each rank of Fire Magic increases damage by 5%, duration by 5%, and decreases AP cost by 5% rounded down" or something similar.

This way, we can know generally when trying to add points what we will be getting, and it allows different talents to have different magnitudes and not stick us into a strict scaling of all fire magic talents simply adding ranks to fire magic, etc.

In other words, we get both clear information on improvements and the availability for variation in how improvements are made.

Just my thoughts on the matter, criticisms or thoughts welcome.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by YoungFreshNewbie
I think that might be difficult insofar as different talents etc. might have various strengths of effect on abilities (say the Pyromaniac talent is a 10% damage increase, and some other new talent improves the duration of skills like firefly etc.).

As a result of this, it should probably just be revealed when hovering over the skill increase what it will do. Say you hover over fire magic and it says "Each rank of Fire Magic increases damage by 5%, duration by 5%, and decreases AP cost by 5% rounded down" or something similar.

This way, we can know generally when trying to add points what we will be getting, and it allows different talents to have different magnitudes and not stick us into a strict scaling of all fire magic talents simply adding ranks to fire magic, etc.

In other words, we get both clear information on improvements and the availability for variation in how improvements are made.

Just my thoughts on the matter, criticisms or thoughts welcome.

My naive answer is that it shouldn't be too difficult. All these skills alter one (or more) values. So to show the tooltip you just need to look at the current value and the value after the skill is taken, massage those numbers into something meaningful to the user, and display them.

"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
GDwarf #479564 22/01/14 09:56 PM
The difficulty you would run into though is the game wouldn't know how to show you a "next rank" if there is no hard next rank. For example, the "Heartless" trait increases all damage by 5%. A rank of fire magic likely does not also increase damage by 5% and that's it. Thus, a new "rank", if you would, would not be a well defined existence.

Now perhaps we only want tooltips for increasing the level of Fire Magic on the skill, all right, but then it just kind of seems redundant with the more variable tooltip, so two systems are being made when the one I suggest does that and more already.

It's something to consider as a luxury, surely. I guess I'm just trying to minimize the number of things to code while having all information present and easily understandable. Much like it's easy to understand the "Heartless" trait's effects generally, we can also do that to "Pyromaniac" etc by simply changing what the text display retrieves from the talent/skill/etc.

TL;DR: Yeah I'm not saying we can't do both, but I think it is restrictive and perhaps not the most well-defined way of doing it. I think my way of just having tooltips display general effects should suffice over looking at each skill individually. It's something to consider.

Link Copied to Clipboard