C
Corag Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Hello!
Quick info bout myself:
28yo most played/ enjoied games: Diablo1&2, Baldursgate1&2, Ultima online, world of warcraft, master of orion, dayz, battleforge, warcraft 1&2&3, Xcom, path of exile, lol , hon , dota, age of wonders ....
(played a lot more games, those are some of them i think are still or have been good)

My list of thoughts on DOS (pros & cons):

PROS

the game looks and feels authentical

a good bunch of skills (combat aswell as noncombat skills)

nice landscape

interesting characters (npcs)

freedom to solve certain problems

changing vendor itemtable

invnetory layout

character movement & andimations

spell animations look nice cause of being not to overloaded

random loot

non linear quests rock

CONS (or what could be changed to the better imho)

Characters lvl up too fast

fighting becomes too easy very fast (due to lvling up too fast, after the first bigger fights?)

chracters waiting in the halls of heroes should not lvl up

there should be probably some minor randomized mosnter respawns

inventory managemant is poor

sneeking animation sucks (good for on laugh but makes me not play a rogue type character)

higher spells and abilities should be more rare

there should be rare artefacts (no powerranger epics tho!)

there should probably be some non random loot (artefacts?)

there should be more mix of combat and noncombat storyline (after murder quest mostly fighting, no real decisions to make)

spells from magic schools should be more different (not just change the element)

//edit
should be able to go to where you click at them map

seeing other houses while being in a cellar or seeing the first floor of a house on the map when you press "m" is really bad! (i know it s alpha but don t forget to fix that)

overarll lvl item spell progression should be way slower in final version (you get rich, strong -> well geared way to easy)

selling items should probably give less gold, or magical/ good quality items should be a lot more expensive

cheers,
Corag

Last edited by Corag; 13/02/14 07:54 PM.
stranger
stranger

Hrm, why not? I, personally, hate games where my party ends up at different levels based on who I'm using. It ends up very quickly locking you into using the exact same characters, since everyone else is too under-levelled to bother with.

"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
C
Corag Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by GDwarf

Hrm, why not? I, personally, hate games where my party ends up at different levels based on who I'm using. It ends up very quickly locking you into using the exact same characters, since everyone else is too under-levelled to bother with.

i could give you sveral different reasons. i ll give you 2 for now laugh

1. when i am playing a rolplaygame i expect my characters to be as experienced as they deserve to be, i.e. i have to earn their strenth by playing them. (roleplay argument) roleplaywhise there absolutely no excuse for that mechanic, i d even take it further and would want to have my 2 main chracters getting different amounts of exp depenting on how much they bring to the party. (damage done?, killin blows?, social achievments?, locks picked, ...)

2. having different lvls of characters in the game gives it more depth, more ways to play the game. there might actually be a reason for me to have one chracter on a lower lvl... meaning others got more exp (higher lvl) if i played them without the lower one.

to me it ends up making you figure out ways to help weaker charcters to get to lvls where they are useful...have you ever played baldurs(I) gate as mage main class? pretty fun and chalanging till you made some lvls

cheers

stranger
stranger
J'adore the Baldur's Gate titles. But, as I said, I find games that don't equalize XP to be frustrating and limiting.

The way I see it:
If your party members bring different things to the game (personality, skills, whatever) then having them all level up independently rapidly constricts your play-style, you end up forced into using the same few party members. That means that you can't fully experience the game.
If your party members don't bring anything different, then why distinguish them by level? There's no need to switch either way.

I get that it can be somewhat immersion breaking, but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Oh, and if the game ever has a point of no return then having under-levelled party members can permanently doom a save file, which is much less of an issue if everyone level's up in lockstep.

"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
veteran
veteran
Enemies don't respawn in this game, there are no random encounters.

When this situation occurs: "I want to use this secondary party member, but he has fallen behind in levels and now I must stop what I was doing and spend some time to catch him up before I can continue onwards."

You say "Awesome!"

Other people, however, say "Damn it!"

You are right that it is not realistic for guys sitting in the HoH to be getting experience. While that's true, fun should generally trump realism when they come into conflict.

Link Copied to Clipboard