Print Thread
#482708 19/02/14 08:34 AM
M
Mingnon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
One thing that's been grating me now that I have the two companions follow me around town is that they bring up !-instigated dialogue. How it always seems to work is that one of them brings up something, and BOTH main characters have to chip in a response. The companion would then respond in turn, and in a way that leaves me with a gaping disconnect. It didn't seem to bother me as much (at first) when it was just the main characters between each other. But I guess one problem here is spacing; there are now seemingly too many times especially when hanging around town when characters propose a 'discussion'.

(And yes, I know, you can skip the dialogue.)

I think one way to deal with this is to have a companion when engaged in dialogue have a look at the main characters' skills and engage one of them based on relevancy. So for an example, Madora could go, "You seem to be someone who is taking an interest in Sourcery. What do you think it will take to convince me you'll behave?"

Another problem I've been having with the dialogue is that its branches come off either binary (trait vs. trait or agree vs. disagree) or according to reason/charm/intimidate/default with all options on the table. While I'm not sure that this will be fixed, I will point out that it contributes to discussions feeling stilted.

Last edited by Mingnon; 19/02/14 08:41 AM.
veteran
veteran
I get the impression that the dual dialogue system was complicated enough to implement. I'm not sure how easy it would be to add in a lot more code to check things, and it would certainly introduce bugs.

That said, points in Sourcery do nothing now (eventually that skill will be locked at some point), and I think the decision to learn it might come up at some point in the main quest. That's when I'd expect Madora to strongly object.

I think that it's nice having your party members talk to you a lot around town. It's much more interesting than the normal followers.

Link Copied to Clipboard