Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jerk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I peeked at the game and noticed that it has no difficulty modifiers. As someone who plays most RPGs on the max difficulty setting, this made me instantly lose a lot of interest in the game.

My issue is that the default difficulty will be far too easy for some, and perhaps too difficult for others. I think it's a mistake.

Would someone please tell me if the game is very challenging later on? It certainly starts off incredibly easy, but so do most games.

veteran
veteran
There will be difficulty settings in the final version.

Difficult settings
Originally Posted by "Lar”
The default will be challenging but we will put in a mode which makes it easier for the less tactically inclined. We're also thinking of including a [Very difficult] mode.

It does get more challenging, but right now the balance is a work in progress. It will be increased.

Game Length
Originally Posted by "Lar”
You'll soon see us experiment with the level curve so don't draw any conclusions from what levels are available in Cyseal for the moment.

Regarding the size of the game - you're playing the opening, there's a large middle part and then of course there is an end. We don't want to make any statements on how large that is all together because it depends tremendously on your playstyle, but expect anything from 50 hours to 100 hours on your first playthrough depending on what you do and how you build your characters.

We will be upping the difficulty level so that will also be a factor as you'll need to approach combat with care.

J
Jerk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear! I must have missed that.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
The game is still in alpha - there will be difficulty setting upon final release. The game balance still changes very much: in the very first build, you could fireball everything and everyone with just one shot. The next build was very hard, you hardly did any damage and had to hire two additional companions to be able to survive at all. Then, they again decreased the difficulty a little bit because many players were complaining of not being able to go out of town at all. So, at the end the right balance (with different difficulties) will be found but it might take a few more updates.

Edit: I was typing too slowly hehe

Last edited by Elwyn; 27/02/14 06:40 PM.
J
Jerk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
It's still good info, thanks. I'm hoping they add the "Stabbey" mode at release.

addict
addict
oh nice Stabbey, I missed the info about the difficulty modes wink

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Yeah, i'm also waiting for Stabbey mode!

It would be also nice to be able to fine-tune the difficulty just like in HOMM3 for example or actually Thief. laugh
To be able to choose on opponent strength and sensibility, resources amount and price, dull magic, whatever...

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
I actually like it how they did it in Witcher 2, where you'd get extra specials if you selected the hardest mode.

Last edited by xardas22; 28/02/14 03:33 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by xardas22
I actually like it how they did it in Witcher 2, where you'd get extra specials if you selected the hardest mode.

that i would hate A LOT! i like relaxed gaming, i am not at all into this hardcore die-hard playstyle, nonetheless i want to be able to see all the content as well (that is: on easy).

i am ok with special achievements, but all content to all players regardless of difficulty or any other gamestyle defining settings

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by 4verse
i am ok with special achievements, but all content to all players regardless of difficulty or any other gamestyle defining settings

I concur whole heartedly to this. *thumbs up*

Last edited by Otaku Hanzo; 01/03/14 01:18 AM.

"I may grow old but I will never grow up." ~ Mark Twain
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Otaku Hanzo
Originally Posted by 4verse

I concur whole heartedly to this. *thumbs up*

Agreed! =)

stranger
stranger
On a totally different tangent. If you have played the alpha through once and are done with the normal route, I highly suggest trying it the "evil route". This ups the difficulty, because you can't really talk to most people without them wanting to fight you.

Right now my reputation is a -27 from killing all the guards in town. As such, I can't walk into the tavern without them trying to fight me. I have to sneak everywhere, my trades are more expensive, and to talk to many of the quest givers and main quest people, I have to give them items or money in order to lower my negative reputation with them.

The payoff is that I am many levels ahead, and it is more difficult to do the basic things.

Just a thought if you are finding things too easy or boring.

I also killed Evelyn early on, so I am not sure how that is going to work out yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard