Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#506213 02/07/14 11:39 PM
R
RtM Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I would say so. The amount of problems seems to be overwhelming at the moment. I can't play the game for very long without it crashing due to a save/quick save/load.

Wish I could play it. When I do get those rare stretches it's wonderful. Hope this game gets properly released in working condition.

journeyman
journeyman
That's pretty typical for PC games, particularly RPGs. You should read the patch notes for games like Fallout 2 (villagers will no longer turn hostile for no reason) and various Bethesda games (party members will no longer fall through the ground and end up in a distant village). This is nowhere near as bad as that, it mainly seems to be stability and optimisation problems. Actually coding errors in terms of how quests proceed is actaully incredibly polished for a PC RPG at launch.

journeyman
journeyman
it mainly seems to be stability and optimisation problems.

It's also affecting very few people, probably < 5%, it's miles away from a failure.

Lets not forget Skyrim, Sacred 2, and Neverwinter Nights 2. Those games were effectively unplayable (particularly Sacred 2, which I've never had luck running in Windows, though it runs perfectly in Linux with Wine).

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble, but I'd say this is actually a fairly smooth launch provided that localization isn't an issue. I've seen much, much worse from both big name and indie companies. On the other hand, stability and optimization are two particularly painful issues for a game to have.

M
M
Yeah... I've had *zero* problems with the game since launch. I just wish they'd bring back Global Chat.

old hand
old hand
Math:

Failed Launch to those that is has failed.

Successful Launch to those that have no to little issues.

Every game will always have some people that cannot run a game or have some major malfunction.

I'd be encouraged BIG TIME that there are daily updates, so you won't be waiting months and putting up posts "Is this game abandoned? Are we ever going to get a patch?

All said, everyone hopes whatever issue you have will be fixed as soon as possible. It's always a bummer when it hits you.

journeyman
journeyman
Well there are certain things that are just oversights on Larian's part. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll be vague here: breaking into a certain building wrecks the main questline and stops the player from ever meeting a plot-centric NPC, going to a plot-centric location, and getting an integral ability that all players should have. The building in question is not hidden away somewhere, it's right in plain sight early in the game.

stranger
stranger
same here, i've been having 0 stability issues since...april. You are very unlucky friend. Hope your issue gets fixed soon

journeyman
journeyman
it's right in plain sight early in the game.

Gonna need you to use spoiler tags or something and let me know what building that is, please and thanks.

Last edited by Pestilence; 03/07/14 12:38 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
In regards to the spoiler-ific bug thing I just mentioned (if you've solved the murder questline, you're okay):

If you break into Evelyn's house before meeting her in the House of Healing, you trigger the following things: The murder questline is advanced to the point when Evelyn has run away. You are told to find her hideout. The dying men in the House of Healing beds are not there anymore, and as such you cannot choose who to save, and more importantly, you do not get teleported to meet the crazy imp guy and all that entails.

You can proceed with the main quest in the sense that you've "solved" the crime and now must go and find out where Evelyn is hiding, but you haven't found out about the Void, got fast travel, or found the Hall or Heroes location (I'm a little uncertain I've remember the name correctly, but you know what I mean).

If you haven't solved the murder questline but just want to know what building to avoid breaking into, I can't really answer that without giving it all away. Just don't break into any houses until you're at the point where the suspect has fled, that's all I'll say.

Last edited by Kingslayer; 03/07/14 12:44 AM.
old hand
old hand
Kingslayer,

That is an interesting find. If the quest can be broken like that then the doors to her house should be made level 20 doors. That simple fix would resolve that issue.

As for a failed launch, we won't know until after this weekend, at least for USA sales as this is our Independence Day weekend.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 03/07/14 01:27 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
I
stranger
stranger
I
Completely wrong.

The only important part of what Kingslayer said is the stone that teleports you and you will find one in Jake's room at the inn you are supposed to investigate.

If you break into the building, you will advance the main quest but you will not have broken the game.

You can kill nearly everyone in the game and still finish the main quest.

Last edited by Icezera; 03/07/14 01:31 AM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I can't agree with this at all. I've so far played 27 hours and it's been a great experience so far. In fact I've not played an rpg as good as this one for many years, and I've played cRPG's since 88. The money i pledged on the kickstarter have so far been well worth it.
If I could I would give Larian a standing applause! - well I can but they won't notice :P

M
stranger
stranger
M
It's also possible to miss that star stone by going about the quest in a certain order. (without breaking into her house)

By the time I went adventuring outside the town in beta I had come across 2 star stones. (1 in the murder room, 1 with Evelyn) This playthrough I did things in a different order and she was gone when I went to see her. No second star stone. Hopefully there's a point where you'll come across it later, when you catch her maybe. Or maybe a way to cheat your game into giving you the effect of the second stone. Don't want to start over...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icezera
Completely wrong.

The only important part of what Kingslayer said is the stone that teleports you and you will find one in Jake's room at the inn you are supposed to investigate.

If you break into the building, you will advance the main quest but you will not have broken the game.

You can kill nearly everyone in the game and still finish the main quest.

This is correct. Breaking into the house in question does not break the plot line as was described earlier in the thread. The developers have gone through a lot of pains to provide players with multiple ways of advancing the story forward.

R
RtM Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I get that some people havent had problems. I'm extremely jealous. How did you come up with the less than 5% number? Is there some sort of statistic we can all see or did you pluck it out of the sky to try and make a point. Ive seen A LOT of complaints about crashing and game breaking bugs. Im not trying to say this game is awful. Far from it. I just think the release came a bit premature and it feels as if we are the testers....again. A bad release with multiple articles/reviews from users voicing their dissatisfaction will deter a lot of potential buyers.

THAT SAID, the game seems to be selling quite well and I'm happy for Larian. I also appreciate that they have been patching like crazy since launch.

addict
addict
Well the big advantage this game had was the Beta period. They basically had thousands of Beta-testers to help them find bugs and things to tweak. None of the games like Skyrim or Fallout had anything like that going for them. Honestly I'm a little surprised at the problem.

On another note though, I'm playing the game through STEAM and have not had any issues or bugs at all. So ... I really can't complain either way.

stranger
stranger
I don't think that it's a fail launch.
I have no problems with the game and I am sure many more ppl don't as well.
On the forums you always see people with problems but you don't see people who are happy with the game, they just play it and don't complain here.

Last edited by madPav3L; 03/07/14 01:03 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
There are a number of PC games that are actually unplayable at launch by a large number of people, yet you don't see those being called failure launches all over the internet. This launch isn't flawless, but then again people who are happily playing aren't going to be complaining about it on the forums, so I don't know how you can can quantify the failure rate on forum posts alone

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard