Next Thread
Print Thread
S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Are saves compatible between different versions? I.e. if I start the game in Windows version now (when it comes out on GOG), will I be able to reuse my saves in the Linux version when it will come out?

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Did anyone have a chance to test this?

journeyman
journeyman
currently there is no linux build and i don't own a mac wink

if some mac-user can send my a save i could test mac<->win compatibility

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I started my game on a Mac, then zipped up the entire Profiles directory and plopped it down on my PC. Worked AOK!

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Zifbox
I started my game on a Mac, then zipped up the entire Profiles directory and plopped it down on my PC. Worked AOK!

Thanks! Though I decided to wait with buying the game until the Linux version will come out and will appear on GOG.

A side comment - Mac is also a PC smile The terminology is really off (i.e. equating Windows with PC and etc.), especially since Linux is also running on PCs wink It really should be called Linux / OS X / Windows, but somehow this PC = Windows thing has really stuck.

Last edited by shmerl; 20/07/14 03:32 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by shmerl
... somehow this PC = Windows thing has really stuck.

I think it's because PC ended up being the shortened form of the IBM PC, which has (pretty much) always been a Wintel box. Prior to that, personal computers (without capitals) were generally known as microcomputers, home computers, workstations etc. I think, I'm Old and my memory's not what it was, and it was never much!

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
It doesn't help that Apple helped enforce that a while back, with their "Mac vs PC" ads. I agree that it should be Win/Mac/Linux, but it's seemingly ingrained in people. What can you do?

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Vometia
I think it's because PC ended up being the shortened form of the IBM PC, which has (pretty much) always been a Wintel box. Prior to that, personal computers (without capitals) were generally known as microcomputers, home computers, workstations etc. I think, I'm Old and my memory's not what it was, and it was never much!

You are right, it's definitely caused by the very long domination of Windows as the most used PC OS. Things are changing now however, so this association (PC = Windows) starts looking more and more weird. The most inconsistent case is when developers write: "the game will be released on PC, Mac and Linux". This mixing up the hardware platform with the OS right in one sentence really catches the eye and I think they should know better.

Originally Posted by Jito463
It doesn't help that Apple helped enforce that a while back, with their "Mac vs PC" ads. I agree that it should be Win/Mac/Linux, but it's seemingly ingrained in people.

That may be made some sense in the past, when Apple was contrasting x86 based PC with their PowerPC Macintosh. However they since long switched to x86 as well, essentially making Macintosh equal to PC hardware wise with the only differentiating factor being the operating system (OS X). This contrast however was stuck because other alternatives like Linux / *BSD were still quite below the radar.

Originally Posted by Jito463
What can you do?

With wider Linux usage that we see now (including in gaming) this will start to improve. But reminding developers about using proper terms wouldn't hurt smile

Last edited by shmerl; 20/07/14 11:28 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard