Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#516955 11/07/14 10:11 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I want to play only with the 2 main characters but I haven't played enough to evaluate its viability in endgame, so I ask:

1) With Lone Wolf in both characters I will still be able to carry the 2 main characters (in single player, both used by me), the only thing is that I will not be able to recruit Madora, Jahan and the rest of the henchmen, right?

2) Is the game designed to be accomplished with only two characters and no more help? (especially in tough combats)

3) I also do not want to miss many dialogues so is Pet Pal mandatory to do ALL quests? Or they can be done by other means?

4) I don't like summons either... would be a problem with only two characters?

5) What is a better combination for 2 lone wolfs: Warrior + Rogue type, Warrior + Mague type, or Rogue + Mague type?

6) Any other advice that you think I need to know to such gameplay?

Last edited by Antartnord; 11/07/14 10:30 PM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
1) Yes

2) It can be played either way, my first playthrough was lone wolf, I'm currently on my second - it's just a different experience

3) Pet Pal is mandatory if you are a completionist

4) If you don't have summons, you're going to have trouble in a lone wolf playthrough due to being CC-spammed by the enemy who only have 2 targets. You're going to need your cannon fodder.

But if you invest in willpower/bodybuilding enough + use elemental shields + invisibility as air skill (for both characters) you can get away with just 2 characters in combat at a time. You need to be careful with relying on invisibility though - poison/burning/aoe still affects you and brings you out of cloak.

5) You need both characters mages; Warrior/mage + Rogue/mage was my setup - you have MORE than enough skill points for it

6) Yeah, both characters need to be tanks in their own way so invest in elemental shields - air shield is the best IMO as it prevents you from being stunned (most dangerous CC imo - second to knockdown) and stuns enemies that hit you. Need at least 10 INT to keep those shields up throughout combat.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I'm glad to read it from someone who has already played this way. but about your advice of Elemental Shield, I can't find that skill in the wiki, here: http://divinity.gamepedia.com/Skills

Also could you tell me the skills that you consider most useful in that page? Thanks! smile

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Elemental shields = Fire/water/earth/ice shields.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
The list is too large, but I'll give a few general hints:
- Even if you have a dagger using rogue, invest 1 point in expert marksman to pick up Doctor/First Aid/Tactical Retreat

Tactical Retreat is superior to Cloak and Dagger as a teleport because it only uses 4 AP

- Bleeding skills are useless

- Weakening skills are alright but secondary, you want knockdown/stun/blind/charm skills as priority

You have to experiment and see what suits your playstyle. Personally here's what I generally do in battle:

1) Summon stuff, retreat till next turn (cause I tend to have low starting AP compared to recovery AP - especially with Glass Cannon talent)
OR
Cast Invisibility! Then wait till I have maximum AP lol

2) Shields up and buffs! (In my playthrough both lone wolves had all 4 elemental shields so they could deal with any situation lol + have backup if one shield fizzles). I normally cast oath of desecration + wildfire + rage + power stance on my primary damage dealing (my two-hander) and then one-hit the most dangerous enemy in the group with flurry. Or I can use my rogue with haste + tactical retreat (it's a teleport skill, and superior to cloak and dagger because of 4AP instead of 6 - worth the 1 ability point for your rogue) and backstab the hell outta him/her/it with 20+ AP in one turn!

3) Kill kill kill! I normally have my rogue/mage CC everything and my tank/mage finishing them off, the summons are not bad too. But you have to think on your feet and deal with different situations, always have a plan B.

That's why I had both characters mages. Now I mentioned stun as the most dangerous CC - it's because unlike knockdown (where you have helping hand to counter as a warrior skill), or other skills (where you have tons of skills/spells to dispel the effects), the only skill that can dispel a stun is Purifying Fire - which not only gets rid of the stun BUT your shields/healing as well leaving them naked and vulnerable.

My plan always go to hell when a character gets stunned. Hence air shield I found essential.

Being frozen or petrified boosts your armor so you can get away with it, but stun... it's a deathdealer

Last edited by Jackal2200; 12/07/14 01:42 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thank you for all the strategies and all advices! smile

The only thing is that I also don't like much magic... no party, no summons, and no magic, at this point maybe I'm asking for the impossible, hehe! I know that with Lone Wolf I would have more points to expend in magic skills but with 1 or 2 points in each I will only gain access to low level skills, (for example those Magic Shields are lvl 7 to 12), so maybe be half-mage at least in one character would be mandatory.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Well if you want to go with no magic then you'll need stealth and play commando

You need 1 point in water magic for healing - unless you want to rely on waiting for cure wounds to finish its cooldown or spend money/make limited potions.

I did manage to win against one of the bosses (in the lighthouse) using stealth with 2 lone wolf rogues. It took a while though and it was mostly 'cheating' the AI. But even then invisibility (lvl 7 air skill) has a short cooldown and won't be accessable without air magic.

The low level spells are very effective, Midnight Oil/Flare or Fireball combo works wonders, minor heal beats all other healing spells IMO as even though it heals less it heals more in the long run. Rain is imperative for certain quests, become air is also useful as well as fortify.

Last edited by Jackal2200; 12/07/14 05:20 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well, if 1 or 2 points in each magic would aid significantly, this game truly can be played in whatever ways we want, thanks for all the advices, I'm planning my best gameplay! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard