Once again I may be in the minority, not having played BG1/BG2 years ago so I have no attachment to Minsc. I can understand the apprehension about him being a playable/Origin character, for those who have become attached to him through the original games. But let's just have faith that Larian understand just how much of a beloved character he is to so many people, and the gravity of the BG legacy they've taken on, and have faith they will get it right.
It's difficult to have faith at the moment because of SO little communication from them... people are jumping to so many negative conclusions right now because of anxiety over the lack of news. But let's try to assume the positive, that they are hard at work getting things right and will tell us the details as soon as they can?

Originally Posted by Etruscan
Ok, creative freedom or whatever, it just feels a little disingenuous to role-play Astarion or Lae'zel as some goody 2 shoes saving the world and every puppy in it. Or as others have said, role-playing Minsc as some sadistic evil bastard would just feel wrong.

We shall see what happens. In DOS2 (which I only just started playing last night) the Origin characters have their own little intro telling us who they are, and so many class/spec possibilities for them. In BG3, the character classes are set, which is already a good sign - hopefully their personalities and choices will be more set as well, and we may not get options they would never choose? For example Wyll CAN'T choose to give up his one remaining eye to the Hag. I can't see him having the option to side with the Goblins/Minthara either.

As well as character-specific conversation options. I love roleplay so - at the moment I've started playing Lohse in DOS2 - whenever I see an option to speak as her, I pick that. Along the way I am learning who she is. I hope they will do the same for BG3, to have character-specific dialogue options to choose that only that particular character would say.
If it feels wrong to choose the other options, then go with what feels right for you and your playthrough.

I do think it should be strongly encouraged by Larian to play a custom character first, and then an Origin character to experience a playthrough from their side of the story.

Last edited by Alexandrite; 31/05/21 12:34 AM.