Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Just started a new game and I've taken a point in charisma but I'm still only getting 3 points for guessing correctly in the mini game. My companion has 0 charisma and I've tried intimidate/charm/reason and it's the same result for all of them.

W
W
Does your companion actually have 1 charisma as well? Just because you haven't put a hard point into their Charisma... it could be boosted by a trait or item. This would be the first thing to check.

If not, then I'm not sure. It's working fine in my game (sorry, not very helpful).

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
On the companion's character sheet they're listed as having 0 charisma, unless there's a way it's completely hidden. It's also right at the start of the game (Drunk legionaries and charmed orc arguments) so I haven't picked up any stat boosting items yet.

Another thing is that on the RPS screen hovering over "charm (3)" or "intimidate (3)" gives me a tool tip saying I'm having 0 bonus from charisma. I definitely, 100% have that point in charisma.

K
stranger
stranger
K
this has also happened to me on the latest patch (1.81) which is why i forgo the charisma skill altogether and quickload it until the gods of chance smile upon me

argue with an idiot and he will drag you to his level then beat you with experience
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I wonder if it's a bug then. I was hoping it was just a mechanic I misunderstood.

S
S
*Bump* to this.

I have 1 base charisma and the politician trait (+2).

I show only having +2 charisma skill in the mini game.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Just tried an experimental character. At character creation I upped charisma to 2 and then took politician. The character sheet clearly says I have 4 charisma but when I actually get into an argument I get 6 points for each RPS round I win.

For some reason there seems to be a -1 modifier. It's not mentioned on the wiki.

S
S
Yes, I've looked at this as well.

Some conversations have inherent [unmentioned] bonuses.

e.g. Woman in bath -1 (charisma)

Crowd hustler +3 (charisma and reason)

Orc with armor +2 (reason, I think)

If you mouse over your total in the mini-game (top right) it'll break down the numbers. Very sneaky, really, but not a bug.

Some kind user explained it:

Originally Posted by dirigible
Y

The number of points you get is based on your Charisma. More Charisma = more points per win.
The number is further modified by what option you chose (charm, intimidate, reason). One of these is the right choice, and increases your number. One is wrong, and decreases. One is neutral. This choice is different depending on who you're talking to, and the context of your conversation. If your perception is high enough, the game will tell you which option is right/wrong/neutral.

I missed this past the beta ~ so Charisma is the #, and Intimidate / Charm / Reason is the strategy! Each Charisma game has a (hidden) mod to each depending on the preferred tactic. e.g. Woman in the bath does not respond well to charm.

This makes a lot more sense now.

It also explains why some conversations were getting random -/+ to them.

Last edited by SteamUser; 30/07/14 12:02 AM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
This is just a guess from experience but I think you need to get some "Charisma EXP" to see the effect in RPS games. I mean, you need to get some kind of "levels" in Charisma ability, by winning one or two RPS games.

I may be wrong. I haven't really tested it.

Last edited by Sinthesizer; 30/07/14 12:54 AM.
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
@SteamUser

I don't think it's that. I'm getting the -1 for all 3 options in the arguments after the drunk legionaries and charmed orc events. It doesn't matter if I choose intimidate, charm, or reason it's the same result.

@Sinthesizer

But why would I be getting a argument score of 6 with +4 charisma right at the start of the game? It would be an odd mechanic if you have to get the charisma exp just to avoid getting a -1 penalty. It'd mean investing one point in charisma at character creation would be utterly pointless as it won't affect the first few RPS games. You'd may as well wait until you've leveled up and already done a few arguments.

Last edited by Stacked Deck; 30/07/14 02:24 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sinthesizer
This is just a guess from experience but I think you need to get some "Charisma EXP" to see the effect in RPS games. I mean, you need to get some kind of "levels" in Charisma ability, by winning one or two RPS games.

I may be wrong. I haven't really tested it.

"Charisma EXP" is just letting you know that the experience you're receiving is due to an event that involved rock-paper-scissors dialogue. It's like "Discovery EXP" (which you receive for arriving at specific locations). In reality it is no different from any other kind of experience.. it's just attempting to inform you why you received it.

veteran
veteran
As I said in your other thread;

"It's not a flat -1 modifier.

But yes, charisma is acting very weird. Low levels only remove bonusses of opponents, not add to your own roll, and only 4+ add to your own roll... that's what my own tests showed anyway."

You'll notice the modifiers of your choice because it's listed under 'modifier' (NOT charisma bonus). Seems 1 charisma just undoes enemy penalty, and early on most NPC's don't have that... I'm not sure if your teammate will ever get that 0_o

Link Copied to Clipboard