Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by Helnar
I suggest you try to explore why you act this way, and if no answer comes to mind, talk to someone about it.

I suggest you shut the fuck up and talk about games, gamers, or anything related to gaming.

B
stranger
stranger
B
It's a very interesting phenomenon when people start judging others based on little or no information on the internet, even though all of the needed information is right there in front of them.

I'm a psychologist by profession, yet I still haven't fully digested why some people become rude and inconsiderate (trolls) when they are nameless and behind the screen. Why? Because I don't care for explanations about the "dark side" of human nature. I think it must stem from a lack of self esteem, or the need to "rise above the pack," so to speak, by putting someone else down (the need to feel superior).

I any case, there is either something "not right" regarding their social development, or they are in that critical stage when social development is rapid but fragile and can easily swing one way or the other (teenagers). If you guys happen to read this, I suggest you try to explore why you act this way, and if no answer comes to mind, talk to someone about it.
Here's a simpler explanation. (Warning: Contains Swearing)

A
A
Originally Posted by dirigible
I think it's pretty straightforward, Helnar.
You don't say or do things because you know that there are social repercussions. My boss is rude to my coworkers, but I don't say anything because I could get fired.
Remove the social repercussions (via anonymity) and you have no reason not to do those things. All of a sudden I can verbally abuse my boss as much as I want.

Doesn't mean someone is socially dysfunctional, it just means they're free to say exactly what they want to say without any inhibitions.

No, it just means that your boss is just as social dysfunctional as the guy who lacks any civil courage to stand up against that dork. Ok, maybe your boss is a little more dysfunctional.

It's a very interesting phenomenon when people start judging others based on little or no information on the internet, even though all of the needed information is right there in front of them.

I'm a psychologist by profession, yet I still haven't fully digested why some people become rude and inconsiderate (trolls) when they are nameless and behind the screen. Why? Because I don't care for explanations about the "dark side" of human nature. I think it must stem from a lack of self esteem, or the need to "rise above the pack," so to speak, by putting someone else down (the need to feel superior).

I any case, there is either something "not right" regarding their social development, or they are in that critical stage when social development is rapid but fragile and can easily swing one way or the other (teenagers). If you guys happen to read this, I suggest you try to explore why you act this way, and if no answer comes to mind, talk to someone about it.

Riot is still doing intensive research on the topic, but I think the most common explanation is feedback loops, because the amount of contacts with other people you have is extremely high and the consequences for bad behavior are extremely low.

A single person that fits your mentioned types is enough to make dozens of other people grumpy as well and so it spreads all over the world. Besides that: There seems to be a significant number of people with sadistic, sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies involved in trolling as well. And again, a single of those can be the catalyst for many more angry posts from other persons.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 31/07/14 02:07 AM.
D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by rk47
I'm sticking to the topic.
OP knew the issue.
OP understood the problem.
Yet the conclusion he drew is complete garbage.
Amazing.

Is this meant to be a poem?

If you can't see the traps to navigate around them, there *is* another option besides save/load: use Small Fireball (or some other damaging AoE) to blow them up, since they detonate when disturbed or damaged. You can minesweep the whole area this way with a little patience.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
OP knew the issue.
Amazing.

Is this meant to be a poem?

Yes my parents were poets.
It was my upbringing.

addict
addict
Should have made it a Haiku. wink

I
iru Offline
apprentice
apprentice
I
The spider from Summon Pet seems to have a reasonably high Perception - I summon one of those for finding traps as I lack the perception needed on my characters.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by iru
The spider from Summon Pet seems to have a reasonably high Perception - I summon one of those for finding traps as I lack the perception needed on my characters.

Yeah it was a weird thing but when you recall those Spiderman spider sense powers , it all made sense.

It's funny cause high PER means high crit and that makes it quite an effective companion throughout the game.

H
Helnar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Because they're angry.
In this particular case, rk47 is probably angry at what he perceives to be a simplification of modern video games, in order to pander to a least common denominator market.

OP knew the issue.
Amazing.
Can't you at least wait 3 more levels before exploring that zone if it's too hard? Did someone point a gun to your head saying you MUST do it? Didn't the guard tell you it's dangerous?

Amazing.
What more do gamers want?
Does the OP want Larian to start announcing to people entering a zone in, BIG HUGE font that an area is dangerous?

Holy shit.
I just went pyscho-anal on OP cause he came upon the stupidest conclusion on how to solve the 'difficult' problem: Blame the Game and ask the dev to fix it.

Commenting on your views is probably not a good idea, since it seems that you're the kind of person who will always answer defensively and try to rationalize your rude behavior. But since I'm a person who beliefs that even anonymity doesn't make people develop antisocial tendencies, I'm going to give it one more shot. You seem like a smart guy as well, so I think it's worth it.

I came here because I did not know the issue. That is why I asked the question and got good and very explanatory answers from most who commented here. I also didn't argue, claiming that this was an unfair world. Instead I wondered for a second if things were as they were supposed to, then completely agreed that I had assumed a carebear-like attitude since most games have gone the route of making things very easy and linear since the rise of World of Warcraft.

And to answer your question, yes I could have waited three more levels. The reason I didn't do so is because at the time I didn't know that doing so would "solve" my issue or enlighten me further about why I felt the way I did. It took some nice and patient players to make me realize that I had, over the years, expected to be guided everywhere and not need to discover anything by "trial and error". The WoW model figured out that, to the casual gamer, any irritation is a possible "quit and leave" moment, so they started the trend of making games become so easy that one would not have to experience that.

The issue people have with you in this thread is that, instead of trying to explain that to me in a nice and enlightening manner, you decided to be rude and show tendencies of superiority, therefore weakening the gaming community instead of strengthening it. Also, if the person you were speaking to would take criticism badly, you would possibly have ruined their day. In my case however, that's not something you have to worry about.

So please try to make gaming a more positive experience to your fellow gamers instead of the alternative.

enthusiast
enthusiast
When you are not supposed to be in that area quest wise, the guard warns you before leaving, dead bodies are all over the place and the npc that is twice your level there is not much more that can be done to signalize that you are not supposed to be in that area right now.

What is the point of traps when they don't represent a real threat for characters with low HP, resistances or perception?

Last edited by eidolon; 31/07/14 12:04 PM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
(and the d**che bag award goes to....)

Anyhoo, when you stumble into enemies that clearly overpower you, you still can flee. If you step on three mines you didn't see, game over. I think that's the big difference. Although the counter-argument to that is when you create a character and you read that perception helps you "detect traps", I'd probably be wise to invest a few points in it and bump it a little along the way when you level.

I'm pretty sure 6 points (+ a possible item or trait boost) are enough for that particular area to reveal the first couple of mines.

I completed the whole cyseal map on Hard mode without stepping on a mine, my best character probably had 7. I don't think they overshot the danger here.

R
stranger
stranger
R
well i need some help and yes i also dislike forum abusers too.
I dont want to use any walk throughs but i am level 3 and i die wherever i go.
I have been wandering town for days and feel I've chatted to everyone twice or more and I'm thoroughly bored so just a simple hint would be nice!
When i exit West to beach I cant find anything new except groups or 4 or 5 orcs that kill me.
North its level 5 undeads and NW its level 10 gate and then level 8 bone charred archers.
East level 7 wolves.
I must be missing some quests in town that let me get to level 5 surely?
I wasn't interested in the fabulous 5 so maybe i missed a quest line there?
I been back to original SE beach many times and cant see anything there either.
I'm quite stuck!
OOps had missed the other WEST gate lol so I'm fine now found some low level 3 monsters :P

Last edited by ryko; 31/07/14 02:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Well, the clue for me that it was a higher-level area was the level 8 Orc. Which I think is quite impossible to miss going there... I think that's a good warning, no?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I like you, Helnar. If by some strange circumstance I ever run into you in real life, I will buy you a drink of your choice.
Within reason.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 01/08/14 05:08 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by ryko
well i need some help and yes i also dislike forum abusers too.
I dont want to use any walk throughs but i am level 3 and i die wherever i go.
I have been wandering town for days and feel I've chatted to everyone twice or more and I'm thoroughly bored so just a simple hint would be nice!
When i exit West to beach I cant find anything new except groups or 4 or 5 orcs that kill me.
North its level 5 undeads and NW its level 10 gate and then level 8 bone charred archers.
East level 7 wolves.
I must be missing some quests in town that let me get to level 5 surely?
I wasn't interested in the fabulous 5 so maybe i missed a quest line there?
I been back to original SE beach many times and cant see anything there either.
I'm quite stuck!
OOps had missed the other WEST gate lol so I'm fine now found some low level 3 monsters :P

Dont know if youï½´ve done it but if you have a shovel you can dig up some graves in town for some easy exp.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Hi.

I`m not that far into the game (just exploring the first town a bit), but after I`ve completed the tutorial dungeon I came to a conclusion that: 1. I need a char with very good perception, 2. traps can be blown up with firing at them / dropping something on them instead of disarming them (no xp, but 100% success), 3. I need good strength / telekinesis to be able to carry barrels/crates from some vicinity should I need it. 4. I`ll have to be careful with what ever I find (even ingredients).

It that situation with the mines I guess that once you know their location (by save \ load exploitation) - you can drop some AOE spell on the spot where the mines are or look around for a couple of heavy things in the vicinity. If what you say about these things being clustered is true - may be they will all go off clearing you a pass?

Last edited by Okim; 01/08/14 11:33 AM.
old hand
old hand
What i like to do is use those mines against the Orcs first group to the left.
Just attack them and then lure them into the mine field.

Its more fun.

..er, what Helnar here said and concluded is all correct.
He had a problem that can be accepted as a problem for someone accustomed to different kind of gameplay in "RPGs", but he reacted appropriately to a sound advice given and corrected himself and his approach, psychology.

What would be wrong is to continue complaining and screaming about some such minor issue despite the sound advices and info.

-

What rk47 splurged into the thread, after obviously not even bothering to read more then a few sentences in the OP and a title, is just his usual schtick of a screaming moronic schandenfrude slurper. Or, more euphemistically described: shit-feeder.

In a way, thats all his brain can come up with.

Some kind of miserable ego "boosts" he gets to feel when he finds or, in case of there being none, imagines or invents that someone else is worse at something then him so he can get to feel better.

This mental state does horrible things to the brain, as you can notice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hiver
What rk47 splurged into the thread, after obviously not even bothering to read more then a few sentences in the OP and a title, is just his usual schtick of a screaming moronic schandenfrude slurper. Or, more euphemistically described: shit-feeder.

In a way, thats all his brain can come up with.

Some kind of miserable ego "boosts" he gets to feel when he finds or, in case of there being none, imagines or invents that someone else is worse at something then him so he can get to feel better.

This mental state does horrible things to the brain, as you can notice.
While in this specific instance you, in sharp contrast, read the entire thread, serve up fundamentally the same dish -- but with a more delicate flavor, a nice garnish on top, and perfectly centered on a square plate -- then expect us to consider it gourmet.

Not saying it isn't, in its own way, but personal attacks are personal attacks. I think we'd all be better off if we didn't perpetuate the cycle.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 01/08/14 12:34 PM.
old hand
old hand
Its not the same dish at all. The ingredients are fundamentally different, the technique evidently more elegant and true, the reason and motivations for making a "dish" entirely of different purpose.

And it isnt a dish at all.
Nor is it a personal attack to say what is obvious and blatant.

Nor are expectations anything close to what you imagined and assumed in your knee-jerk reaction to make everything absolutely relative and "same".
By the way, if you succeed in that... how is that going to stop the real cycle that never ends? The one of the schadenfreude psychology so blatantly exposed.

Food for thoughts?
Nah, too difficult, i know.

For your information, i merely gave you a heads up. No dishes, expectations of gourmet praises or any of that other stuff were actually included.

I do agree that personal attacks are personal attacks. And that the sky is blue. Or that we would be better off for any number of reasons and things. Or any other number of such self evident truths too. Those are all very nice. When they happen to be true in a specific moment and specific situation.

In this specific case, when we look at what reality actually is, i dont see any other result following from your logic then to have a simpleton schadenfreude feeder like that enabled to do whatever he wants while everyone else will be pushed into or forced not to reply and "behave" or to "ignore"...

All under pretense of everything being the same - an absolute relativity, as oxymoronic as that is - in contradiction to obvious and present blatant reality.

Which means that such behavior and logic just makes things easier for you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard