Next Thread
Print Thread
S
sadre Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
On hard difficulty, quicksaves should be disabled. For this to work and not be a total nightmare, there would need to be more autosaves.

I decided not to use quicksaves *except* after I have sold off stuff and visited merchants, and am returning back to the adventure.

Let me tell you, this makes the game *real* tense.

It could at least be a tickbox in the options menu, "enable quicksaves."

I've only had one heartbreaking wipe. Since I allow myself to quicksave after I sell off, I go back to town and quicksave there. But what would be better would be a better implemented autosave function.

Quicksaves are the main reason why people are able to nerf the game, and then cry for more difficulty. Just disable quicksaves on hard mode, and increase # of autosave points.

But don't just put all the autosaves just before battles. That would be way too obvious and would basically always let the player know a fight is coming up -- bad for suspense.

edit: yes, I know people could just save regularly. Those should be eliminated too. Saving the game needs to be curtailed. I would suggest, maybe autosaves and player-saves could be associated with rift portals: right click on a portal, option to save game. The portal locations are all good autosave/player-save spots.

Last edited by sadre; 27/08/14 07:40 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I don't see the point, but maybe there's others who feel the same way. I just don't see a need for it. Shouldn't saving be more your responsibility instead of the game's?

J
jog Offline
stranger
stranger
J
Hm... Shouldn't autosave actually be disabled for hard difficulty? Disabling the safety-net?

How about no saves at all? The game is only saved when you exit the game. If your party is defeated after a 3 hours session or the PC crashes too bad...

The variant that was quite comon up to the early 90's (only one savegame that you can save at will, no autosaves) could be easily realized and even forced upon you: disable autosaves, set the number of quicksaves to 1, and start the game with a batch file that deletes everything but quicksave 1 from the savegames folder.

Since the game can easily be modded there is no point in competition and enforcing rules upon all contestants, to prove that you aren't cheating with modded uber-gear, you'd need to record your game, and the 1-2 people that care will see when and how you save your game.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Honestly, if people want to ruin their enjoyment by save abuse, let them. If you don't want to, place the restrictions on yourself to simply not use them.

G
stranger
stranger
G
This sort of thinking mystifies me. Your method of enjoying the game doesn't necessarily apply to any other player. The nifty thing about quick saves is that you have to push a button to use them. You aren't required to. There's no magical force compelling a person to reach up and hit F5.

The onus is on you to use them in a way that enhances (or at least doesn't interfere with) your enjoyment of the game. If a person lacks the self control to stick to their own self imposed restrictions, then that is their own problem. Calling for everyone else to be held to your standard of play (in what is fundamentally a single player game) is incredibly selfish.

I'm sure there are even more hardcore players who play under even tighter limitations. People who save even less frequently. Should you be bound by their standard even though it would interfere with your enjoyment?

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by gadling
(...)

I agree with what you said about quicksave being a feature a player is free to use or not, however I'd like to take the counterpoint here. What sadre has in mind looks like the "ironman" modes you can find in other games (X-Com for example) and it actually has a couple of advantages:
- adding new achievements linked to that specific mode (beat the game on "ironman" etc.) and that's not only for players who like to show off : these achievements are usually the pay-off for even harder difficulty modes (Hard mode / Ironman), when the game doesn't unlock anything else by completing them.
- when discussing a run, it's easier to say "In my Ironman run, blablabla..." rather than "First let me start off by saying I'm the kind of player who doesn't reload or save-scum, even if a character dies or after a bad item roll, I only use auto-saves, and what I would like to say is blablabla..."
- deploying it as another mode wouldn't bother other players' experience.

Last edited by Tsort; 29/08/14 03:34 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard