Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi,

i am wondering about the missing 1.000.000$ Stretch Goal

Day/Night Cycles, NPC Schedules and Weather Systems

Will they be added with a Patch maybe?

We paid for this Stretch Goal and i want to have it now!!!
It was promised!

"This campaign is now finished and we are extremely grateful for all of your support! With your help, we will make a fantastic RPG!"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

Doubtful, at least not in the short term. During the beta it was explained that to implement this would take significantly more resources than were currently available if they wanted to make a complete game. The only thing that was promised was a legitimate attempt to give a quality game. Which they did. Farther down the road they may be able to add more content, but nothing is guaranteed.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by john carmack
Hi,

i am wondering about the missing 1.000.000$ Stretch Goal

Day/Night Cycles, NPC Schedules and Weather Systems

Will they be added with a Patch maybe?

We paid for this Stretch Goal and i want to have it now!!!
It was promised!

"This campaign is now finished and we are extremely grateful for all of your support! With your help, we will make a fantastic RPG!"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

$944,282 =/= $1,000,000

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nicdanger

$944,282 =/= $1,000,000

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/466642
"In case you didn't know yet, together with paypal contributions and the fundraisers from RPGCodex & RPGWatch we went over 1MUS$ and that means that *all* stretch goals were reached!!!"

http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/news.php?page=3
2013-04-29
"Final Kickstarter stretch goal reached!
The final stretch goal ($1.000.000) has been reached! The goal barely missed the kickstarter campaign deadline last Friday, but this means our last strech goal will be put into the game.
We're extremely pleased with this achievement because NPC schedules, day and night cycles and weather systems will make this game world feel so much more alive and improve the game immensely"

So...
What now?
It is paid and i want it!

Last edited by john carmack; 05/09/14 10:46 AM.
Support
Support

See the blog post Here we go for details on why it was dropped.

old hand
old hand
If they add something I hope it is more content (flush out phantom forest; add a few crypts; fix all the broken quests; make the story more cohesive; fix the bugs - other than broken loot and a ton of broken quests I had no major bugs but others on steam are complaining right and left even today about crashes and save issues).

D
stranger
stranger
D
I'm not even sure I'd like this implemented. I enjoy the areas in the game that are always "night". And I'm not sure I'd like the areas where it's always "day" to even have a night cycle.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dizzysin
I'm not even sure I'd like this implemented. I enjoy the areas in the game that are always "night". And I'm not sure I'd like the areas where it's always "day" to even have a night cycle.

Its not only Day/Night

its also NPC Schedules and Weather Systems!

journeyman
journeyman
It's not so ludicrous to ask given the game's success - they surely have the financial resources for it now. Ofc they may have other plans now (it appears work has already started full steam ahead on the 'next big thing'), but I do hope they end up doing a sort of DKS / gold edition type thing including these things. Swen has previously stated they need to sell 1M copies for their VBRPG that will DTA, but it looks like DOS is set to surpass even that - no reason it shouldn't total 1.5M sales over the next 2-3 years, and a gold edition may push it even farther.

So far Larian have been total bros, and I hope they think the same as above, even if they aren't saying anything yet smile

Last edited by Cattletech; 05/09/14 02:17 PM.
old hand
old hand
It won't be added. For them to add the day/night scheduling and weather cycles, it would take too long. The scripting required would be double to tripled what already exists. I'd estimate this would take an additional year or more, if they worked exclusively on this, going from development, testing and release.

The only way I can see them doing this is if they re-released an enhanced version or expansion that will be sold. Honestly, the game script isn't as messed up as it was with DKS so they should move on with the DKS sequel now.

The Larians have learned a lot from the kickstarter campaign. They honestly were nervous of hitting the $400k mark, let alone the $1mil. The company has learned a lot these past two years and I'm sure will have more accurate and realistic stretch goals.

Question is, do you want the sequel to either DKS or D:OS in three to four years. Or do you want a D:OS expansion in a year to two from now with the DKS sequel in like five to six years? Personally, I want D:OS patched and the DKS sequel in three to four years from now.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 06/09/14 03:55 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
DKS?

Support
Support

Dragon Knight Saga (Divinity 2).

old hand
old hand
I would like to see them fix the bugs in this game; and then do a DKS sequel. I suspect they will do a D:OS sequel but I found DKS more magical (notsure if it was the writing or progression).
-
While the combat in this game was interesting; it seemed ot me the story was extremely choppy and the bugs (loot, broken quests, triggers not firing in the homestead, ...) are very annoying. The game might be a massive success from sales perspective (esp compared to DKS) but I very much prefer DKS charm.

Originally Posted by LightningLockey
It won't be added. For them to add the day/night scheduling and weather cycles, it would take too long. The scripting required would be double to tripled what already exists. I'd estimate this would take an additional year or more, if they worked exclusively on this, going from development, testing and release.

The only way I can see them doing this is if they re-released an enhanced version or expansion that will be sold. Honestly, the game script isn't as messed up as it was with DKS so they should move on with the DKS sequel now.

The Larians have learned a lot from the kickstarter campaign. They honestly were nervous of hitting the $400k mark, let alone the $1mil. The company has learned a lot these past two years and I'm sure will have more accurate and realistic stretch goals.

Question is, do you want the sequel to either DKS or D:OS in three to four years. Or do you want a D:OS expansion in a year to two from now with the DKS sequel in like five to six years? Personally, I want D:OS patched and the DKS sequel in three to four years from now.

A
addict
addict
A
I would certainly say it's bad if it was dropped when it's part of a stretch goal. You met stretch goals but it was not delivered. For whatever reason, if it was part of a stretch goal it should not be dropped for whatever reason. You should not promise ANY goals if you can't seem to meet. At least that is what how i look at things.

I'm around 90 hours in the game but i would say that Day Night Cycle is not really a necessity. It only add immersion that NPCs have schedules and probably some night missions, etc. I would forgive Larian if i'm a backer but still one should not promise something and failed to delivered especially on a financial funding.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by meme
If they add something I hope it is more content (flush out phantom forest; add a few crypts; fix all the broken quests; make the story more cohesive; fix the bugs - other than broken loot and a ton of broken quests I had no major bugs but others on steam are complaining right and left even today about crashes and save issues).

+ give Astarte some spells other than water life and bless

journeyman
journeyman
New mini-interview with Swen:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/divinity-original-sin-a-big-success-future-project/1100-6422120/

Vincke laughs when I ask him about where the Divinity series may be going next, but is coy about revealing finer details. "I can't say. There's nothing yet to announce, it will be very calm on the announcement front for a couple of months, as we're preparing our new things," he said.

His comment refers to the two new companions and new skills on their way to the game and end-game balances for the ranger and warrior classes, of course. In addition to this, Vincke mentions that the studio is working on bringing out a "much better, harder, difficulty level" in which all encounters will be different, as well as fine-tuning the game's inventory management.

Regardless, Vincke promises fans that a breadth of new content is still in the works for Original Sin.

"There's definitely a lot of stuff coming," he said.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Archaven
I would certainly say it's bad if it was dropped when it's part of a stretch goal. You met stretch goals but it was not delivered. For whatever reason, if it was part of a stretch goal it should not be dropped for whatever reason. You should not promise ANY goals if you can't seem to meet. At least that is what how i look at things.

thankyou

100% Agree

Last edited by john carmack; 08/09/14 08:39 AM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Cattletech
New mini-interview with Swen:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/divinity-original-sin-a-big-success-future-project/1100-6422120/

Regardless, Vincke promises fans that a breadth of new content is still in the works for Original Sin.

"There's definitely a lot of stuff coming," he said.

party cheer claphands

Yippie! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard