Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
I am having some trouble using the targeting circle for the small fireball spell in my game. The targeting circle will often just disappear in certain places that are within range, and reappear in others. The net effect is that the placement possibilities seem "jumpy" as you move the circle around.

It is my understanding that it is an AoE spell that does not require a specific enemy to target, but rather an area which is both in line of sight. Is there also some line of effect requirement I'm not aware of? Because I do not have this problem (at least to this extent with the targeting circles for rain, midnight oil, or boulder bash.

M
addict
addict
M
Have you tried zooming in to see if it changes something ?

apprentice
apprentice
Boulder Bash's projectile falls from the sky, so it can't be blocked too easily.

Small Fireball is a projectile that is shoot forwards in a straight line, so its path can be blocked by enemies, high terrain, barrels...

Later you'll find spells that launch multiple projectiles in arcs which are even trickier to avoid blocked paths.

Last edited by Vaxsan; 07/01/15 07:08 PM.
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by melianos
Have you tried zooming in to see if it changes something ?

I have, it didn't change much.

Originally Posted by Vaxsan
Boulder Bash's projectile falls from the sky, so it can't be blocked too easily.

Small Fireball is a projectile that is shoot forwards in a straight line, so its path can be blocked by enemies, high terrain, barrels...

Later you'll find spells that launch multiple projectiles in arcs which are even trickier to avoid blocked paths.

This knowledge changed a frustration into an appreciation for the game mechanics, thank you! Is there a way to know the size of the object that you need to find a clear path for before you can use the small fireball spell?

Last edited by kerbarbles; 08/01/15 02:09 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kerbarbles
Is there a way to know the size of the object that you need to find a clear path for before you can use the small fireball spell?

Sorry, I don't understand. Can you rephrase?

K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Imagine throwing a grenade. The grenade itself has about a 7.5cm diameter but a kill zone of about 5m. Even so, you only need concern yourself with the size of the grenade itself when targetting, not its AoE. So to relate this to the small fireball spell, imagine you cast it by throwing an object that explodes on impact and hits everything in a 4m radius. How big is that object? I guess, put another way, how much space do you need to be able to target your small fireball spell without obstruction?

Last edited by kerbarbles; 10/01/15 09:42 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Thanks.
The game doesn't display the exact size of spell projectiles. It's more simple to rely on the trajectory and impact previews.
Spell projectiles (and arrows) have a diameter of a human's width. If one of your characters can't pass between two obstacles, the projectile can't pass either.

Last edited by Vaxsan; 11/01/15 05:45 AM.
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Perfect, thanks again Vaxin!

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard