Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Right now every char can equip everything. That means I give every char items with the biggest armor rating.
Heavy armor reduces movement? No problems, you should move as little as possible anyway and you have skills that move you or the enemy.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
No?

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
veteran
veteran
Yes. In order to prevent overpowered items on lvl 1 characters.

journeyman
journeyman
Did you find overpowered items at level 1?

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
veteran
veteran
Considering everyone needs a mesh of physical and magic armor, adding level requirements would be hell... Having to keep up both, shifting slots as you find new gear, possibly moving to old gear since other armor type is already a burden.

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 18/09/16 07:17 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Agreed.
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Considering everyone needs a mesh of physical and magic armor, adding level requirements would be hell... Having to keep up both, shifting slots as you find new gear, possibly moving to old gear since other armor is already a burden.

veteran
veteran
I see no reason for adding attribute restrictions. Given how lousy the loot I've found is, it would just make it even more difficult to get anywhere.

Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Yes. In order to prevent overpowered items on lvl 1 characters.

What are you talking about?

How would level 1 characters get their hands on overpowered items? You can't swap characters between games. Even if you could, there's no enemy level scaling, so there's no benefit to artificially keeping yourself at level 1, even if it was possible. A level 1 character with an overpowered weapon still has level 1 health.

Even if we wanted to prevent so-called overpowered items on level 1 characters, the simplest solution is to put a minimum level restriction, not a minimum attribute X restriction.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I dunno I do see a good reason to give strength requirements.

To allow strength characters to have quite a bit more armor/magicarmor.

N
N
No, let people wear what they want, whether for looks, or for stats.

A
addict
addict
A
I would say that it makes sense to have attribute restrictions similar to D:OS for equipment. Mages get to use their staffs but can't wear heavy armor, Warriors get their weapons and armor but certain Sarongs and such required INT, ect... it just makes sense form both immersion and creating distinct identities between characters based on how they grow.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
I'm happier with the new system

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I am happier with the new system as well. Attribute requirements force all the characters of a certain class to generally use the same equipment near the end of the game. I like to maximize my choices both playwise and aesthetically.

addict
addict
I agree with Stabbey, but I don't think it matters much at the moment.

Loot so far in my game has been lousy and there are fundamental problems with the physical/magical armour systems that need to be fixed.

Absolutely not, both for gameplay reasons and because "I'm not smart enough to wear this robe," is utterly nonsensical.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by NeutroniumDragon
Absolutely not, both for gameplay reasons and because "I'm not smart enough to wear this robe," is utterly nonsensical.

More like "I am not skilled enough to handle the arcane energies infused into this robe" :P

M
stranger
stranger
M
Nah, maybe some kind of level range requirement, but I prefer the freedom to mix and match. It doesn't actually make sense from an immersion perspective that someone just 'can't' equip something. It's up to you if you're just gonna min-max for optimal armor. I was quite pleased to be able to add a +4 Memory helmet to my mage, or to put the Braccus scale helm on a thief character. If you have the freedom to make any cross-class build you want, it only makes sense you can wear any type of equipment.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Absolutely not. Stat requirements on items, doesn't mesh in a system where you need to be wearing certain types of equipment and armor to keep yourself safe from various effects. It also discourages hybrid builds by forcing you to pump points in certain stats, just so you can continue wearing level appropriate armor.

S
stranger
stranger
S
No, also merchant item level scaling should be removed even it means some overhaul. If you can cough up 300 gold as a level 1 then you deserve to have some sick gear.

It doesn't make sense how merchant's stores are magically upgraded once you level. Just make it cost more.

The gameplay suffers when you can't look forward to buying certain equipment past a single level and that you aren't rewarded for taking huge risks.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I vote no for item level requirements and no for more merchant items appearing as you level. The former "issue" can be taken care of by making better items hard to get without investing into a particular stat significantly (i.e. a chest in the beginning of the game requiring lockpicking 2 or 3) or without killing monsters way above your level. The latter can be taken care of by making the gold scarce, which it seems to be the case so far.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I don't think stat requirements are entirely necessary; most item types already favor a certain "class-type" through the bonuses they give, which seem to be restricted by the item type. We just don't get to see much of this as of yet because of how early access is restricted to low-level play.

For example, heavier armor tends to give bonuses to stats like Warfare and Strength, which incentivizes the classic Warrior-types to wear it over mages.

Likewise, staves tend to grant INT bonuses and not STR, while bows and crossbows grant Finesse and Marksmanship, etc. Then you have utility slot items like necklaces and rings which can either improve specialized builds further or help hybrid builds round out their secondary attributes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard