Next Thread
Print Thread
U
Uriseph Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
I want to start this post off by mentioning that I'm well aware that devs change lore on the fly to suit particular game mechanics. I've begrudgingly come to accept this as a norm in game development although I wish it didn't happen as often as it does. My main beef with the invisibility ability is that it is now a Source ability. I'll state my reasons why I think it shouldn't be and my overall gripes with the ability below.

1) Invisibility in DOS came in 2 forms: the scoundrel and aerotheurge ability. This was great IMO because it didn't force characters down a particular skill set in order to access it. In the current state of DOS 2, it is a scoundrel ability only. Not a huge deal, but a step backward in terms of options available to players.

2) To me, source abilities should have multiple functions and/or conditions. For example: Overpower will completely destroy an opponents armor and cause a KD if the user's armor score is higher than the character on the receiving end. So, in addition to doing good damage, it destroys armor and causes KD depending on conditions. This ability can completely swing the fight in your favor against bosses and is complete overkill against any other type of hostile NPC. Invisibility or "Walk in Shadows" as it's called in game, simply makes you invisible with no other benefit unless you have the Guerrilla perk. The problem I have is that such an ability is countered by pretty much any AOE or damage tick. For an ability that takes up 3 memory slots and costs 1 source point to activate, this has officially become a source ability that I do not feel is worth the source/memory to use/slot.

3) I have come across 2 different NPCs who were both wearing Source Collars that were able to use this skill. The characters I'm referring to are the child who introduces you to Ser Withermoore and the assassin who Griff sends after Stingtail if you rat him out. This particular problem definitely expands beyond just the simple use of the invisibility skill and branches out into other features I take issue with; which is player characters and NPCs not following the same rule set. This is made more obvious when you use loremaster to examine an NPC and you realize that almost all NPCs have stats that dwarf your characters. One example is the NPC Windego who you meet on the northern beach after you escape the fort. At level 5, her stats are at a point that would be completely unattainable for a level 5 Sebille, Red Prince, Ifan or Lohse. My wish is that at release, the stats of NPCs are closer to what they would be if they were player characters, bosses be exempt for obvious reasons.

Agree? Disagree? I welcome any sort of discussion on the topic. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Uriseph; 01/10/16 07:56 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Invisibility is a Polymorph (as of right now, might be subject to change) spell and it comes in scrolls and potions too. None require Source. Doesn't sound implausible to me that a kid or Griff's men would have one of those.

I agree on Source skills in general though and Walk in Shadows in particular - it's garbage to the point where it's not worth using, especially compared to the silly overpowered Source skills. Steam Lance sounds really underwhelming too, but I'm guessing skill crafting might improve it, depending on how it's implemented.
Honestly, 3 slots requirement is an overkill for most Source skills, that's something Larian will be able to balance rather easily.

And I'm not touching the NPC stat issue with a ten foot pole.

U
Uriseph Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Originally Posted by Klavi
Doesn't sound implausible to me that a kid or Griff's men would have one of those.

My only point was that the 2 NPCs who were using it had Source Collars which should prohibit them from using the actually ability (assuming they weren't potions). The assassin NPC could cast it multiple times in her fight with Stingtail so I doubt she multiple potions on her.

I
stranger
stranger
I
I also don't like how theres only 1 invis skill. I'm not a huge fan of the source skills as is either, considering you can just use hail strike and it out performs every 3 memory skill in the game anyways. I actually liked steam lance, but I got it from a staff so I didn't have to waste memory slots, but it worked very well.

I actually tried to get invis on my hunter, since its a fitting choice to try to run a hunter/scoundrel, but whoops. Need source AND 3 memory slots just to make my hunter invis. Guess I'm just taking chloroform...

That said, all the source skills are underwhelming considering the cost of 3 memory slots and sometimes up to 5 action points. I can cast teleport, hail strike, and another 2 skills for the same action point cost and potentially CC/wreck an entire group of enemies.

I'm sure source skills will be cooler in release, but the fact that you really don't even get to utilize source abilities till the last 10 minutes of alpha is kinda weak.

Last edited by InsaneMoose; 02/10/16 10:41 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard