Next Thread
Print Thread
#596557 08/12/16 07:32 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hi People would like to start a solo run but i have no experience in this game do you guys suggest some builds race and diffucult for the game?

Pandemic Legion #596560 08/12/16 07:37 PM
veteran
veteran
First, play the game with a party. Do not try to do your first run solo. It is not especially balanced for playing solo, and the fact that you are asking for suggestions indicates that you need more experience before attempting it.

Last edited by Stabbey; 08/12/16 09:10 PM. Reason: changed language a bit
Pandemic Legion #596562 08/12/16 07:53 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Good point just one question what is the difference between the two difficulties?

Pandemic Legion #596573 08/12/16 09:05 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Is it actually possible to solo it? Even difficulty aside, there's some bits that need two characters, though I don't recall offhand if any of them are essential to the MQ. Even if it is possible, I wouldn't recommend it.

Not sure offhand about the specific differences between the two difficulties that there are at present except that explorer is less difficult, so that's where I'm staying...

J'aime le fromage.
Pandemic Legion #596699 10/12/16 03:31 AM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Done it solo with lvl 6 on explorer difficult with a Mage.

Pandemic Legion #597001 15/12/16 07:56 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
I solo'ed the game with pure-build ranger(Snipe OP), but that was last patch, and this update is so much harder. especially early game, where I think solo fights are nigh impossible. I'd think the best build would be a mage with lots of points in Necro, probably Elf for Flesh Sacrifice.

However, if you don't know the inns and outs of the game, don't try solo. It'll be frustratingly difficult, at best.

Pandemic Legion #597003 15/12/16 09:31 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I solod the game with almost every class last patch.

This patch soloing is much more difficult and much slower.
It's not impossible, but it requires a significant amount of cheese and/or patience.

For example, you may have to enter a fight, kill one opponent, and then run away, flee, or kite enemies until their forces have been whittled down.

Abusing the AI's poor response to sneaking in combat can also allow you to do it.

Soloing the game isn't much fun anymore. It takes a very long time for 1 character to kill a big group while also not being defeated. I've solod almost every part of the starting area, getting to level 5, but lost interest quickly each attempt.

As a suggestion to the devs, reducing the level requirement for the One Man Army talent would allow players who want to solo to have a more viable option at doing so earlier. I think that would be fun.

Last edited by error3; 15/12/16 09:34 PM.
error3 #597004 15/12/16 09:39 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by error3
As a suggestion to the devs, reducing the level requirement for the One Man Army talent would allow players who want to solo to have a more viable option at doing so earlier. I think that would be fun.

Level 4 is the level of encounters at the end of Fort Joy and through the early Swamp. Level 4 might also be possible to reasonably reach through mostly questing alone (largely due to a lack of level 1 and 2 combat encounters). Lowering the Talent requirement to Level 4 seems like it might be a good place to allow One Man Army.

Pandemic Legion #597005 15/12/16 09:45 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't really see the harm in having no level requirement on the talent even.
It only has a benefit if the party isn't full, right? So you're always making a trade-off when using it (a larger party vs individual power). Having a level requirement on it seems odd to me.
I wouldn't mind something similar to the Lone Wolf talent of DOS1, which let players have a smaller party size right from the start.

Last edited by error3; 15/12/16 09:48 PM.
Pandemic Legion #597006 15/12/16 09:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Yeah, I don't get One Man Army's high requirement. It's like they don't want us to test it for the alpha. Or maybe it's more a thematic reason where level 8 is more when the character's true Godwoken power would be released. But I think it's more of a playstyle choice than anything. Level 4 would be a good requirement, though I can't quite remember when you get that second and third talent. I believe it might be level 3 and 6 or something? It's requirement should be on a level where you gain a talent point. Even level 3 would be fine. I could see not wanting it at level 1, just to show new players what it's like to play with companions, nevermind that it would kind of screw up the initial balance a bit where you might not have a full party anyway.

Haven't really checked how One Many Army works. It gives you better stats when you have reduced number of companions that scale up per party size below 4, no? How does it scale up? It's a bit annoying that if you wanted a 3-person party, all three characters would have to take the talent for probably a minimal benefit. Would be kind of nice if it gave the One Man Army talent person an aura or something that benefited your remaining party member(s) so not every character would have to take the talent to have a balanced 2 or 3 character run, but that's not a huge deal really.

Pandemic Legion #597128 18/12/16 04:21 PM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Pandemic Legion
Done it solo with lvl 6 on explorer difficult with a Mage.
Well done indeed

You must have a better keyboard, computer or brain than me.

Have a gold star *

Stabbey #597134 18/12/16 05:16 PM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Of course level 1 is when one mans army should start. That is obvious and it will surely be like that. I assume that Larian want us to try other combinations that is all.

Level 4 is when in is all over in this game at the moment. It is exactly the same as making it to Crystal village in the last one. It is all too simple after that - you made it there you will not die.

It is tough in this game to get to level 4 (without cheating by running away or using the boring sneak/snipe/sneak tactic) and there are reasons you may not want to (try to kill Dallis for example).

I'd not be adverse to lone-wolf starting earlier (although you can just play on easy if you want) but what you shouldn't be able to do is abuse an earlier advantage. I don't know if you noticed but previously if you picked up a companion they had the same XP as you. Now they do not - they have the XP from the basic quests (I think).

I picked up Louise (or whatever her name is) to teleport one of my characters back from where they were stuck when I was at level 6 and she was 7600 XP and a whole level behind me for not doing the optional quests...

Really lone wolf / One mans army should be a choice that sticks. At the moment it is just a placeholder as although you can get to level 8 before the last fight there isn't really anyone left to test it on. If you are on level 8 already the last fight is trivial - you just walk in the front door.

In my current play through therefore (as I'm weak) I killed the other 4 (so I can't come back and recruit them) and made a pact to sell every weapon that was not a staff (so I don't cheat by using a bow).

Now if I didn't have to save/reload after every move I'd be happy. Missing 100% of the time is a bit rubbish for an ex-blind lone-wolf but I digress

Pandemic Legion #597391 24/12/16 09:24 PM
veteran
veteran
Current lone wolf only cares, if there are other players. It keeps its effect even if you take NPCs with you. In DOS1 you could not even take NPCs with you, but you always had at least 2 characters, so solo wasn't really I guess.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard