Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#606787 27/07/17 08:47 PM
Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm really looking forward to being able to dig into GM mode on release, but I have a few issues/questions that have been tempering my enthusiasm a bit of late.

First off, from what I've seen the game looks fairly amazing, but I do have a major issue with the newly implemented armor system. Now, I understand that this change was probably done in order to cater to the MLG crowd for the arena mode/competitive coop where players abhor any chance being involved in a given scenario, I get it, but I don't like it. When I play tabletop games I don't mind rolling dice, I kinda like it; it's fun, I don't mind a bit of chance being involved.

So, my first question would be: In Game Master Mode (or within the editor), would it be possible to customize armor and creatures to eliminate armor hit points/shields (or reduce them to a large degree) and in their place assign various resistances, such as physical or magical to reflect armor value? Basically, I'd like to ensure that armor hp isn't the primary deciding factor when it comes to character saving throws or potentially eliminate armor hp altogether in sessions I GM. As far as the single player campaign is concerned, I don't think the new system is going to be a huge issue, because the game is balanced with it in mind (still not a fan, but I can't do anything about that), but as for my personal GM mode sessions, I'd like to implement a system that I feel would work better for me and my players.

Second Question: Can the Game Master edit their players action points in the event that a player wants to do something outside of what the system normally allows in combat, such as talk to an enemy during their turn or grapple with it, or whatnot?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ghatt; 27/07/17 08:48 PM. Reason: added a word
U
stranger
stranger
U
They said the GM mode is really extensive and you can do about anything. If you watch the video with matt mercer someone in battle actually tries to talk to a wolf and the GM just roleplays it like its a normal tabletop game. You can probably roll a dice when someone tries to apply a status on an enemy and determine if he gets that status or not and apply it yourself ignoring the ingame mechanics.

From what I understood Larian wants the GM mode to be super flexible where you can pause and edit ingame the way you want.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by Ghatt
In Game Master Mode (or within the editor), would it be possible to customize armor and creatures to eliminate armor hit points/shields (or reduce them to a large degree) and in their place assign various resistances, such as physical or magical to reflect armor value?

You can ensure that every single monsters/enemy in a campaign as ZERO armor/magic armor, Yes.
But the moment someone cast like, fortify, they'll get armor.
GM Mode is using (and will always) use DoS2 core ruleset as Swen said. This means that you can add all the resistance that are in the game right now as you like.

Can the Game Master edit their players action points in the event that a player wants to do something outside of what the system normally allows in combat, such as talk to an enemy during their turn or grapple with it, or whatnot?

You can add/remove AP on the fly to any character.

Last edited by vometia; 28/07/17 03:47 PM.
Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, norD. Can't wait to get my hands on GM mode.

Ghatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by unbekn0wn
They said the GM mode is really extensive and you can do about anything. If you watch the video with matt mercer someone in battle actually tries to talk to a wolf and the GM just roleplays it like its a normal tabletop game. You can probably roll a dice when someone tries to apply a status on an enemy and determine if he gets that status or not and apply it yourself ignoring the ingame mechanics.

From what I understood Larian wants the GM mode to be super flexible where you can pause and edit ingame the way you want.

Yeah, that video is definitely educational. I was just more concerned about rp actions in combat not using ap points, because unused points carry over to the player's next turn if the gm, like Mercer, instructs a player to skip his turn, such as when Baze tried to hug the giant turtle. Very glad to hear that a GM can ensure AP points are spent in the attempt.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard