Next Thread
Print Thread
#613320 17/09/17 12:19 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hello, i'm new to the series and i need some help to build a necromancer hybrid. First i tried a combination with geomancy which seemed okay, but the mystic tag really bored me, so i restarted the game and this time i've chosen polymorph as the second ability, but i'm not sure if that was the best choice. I've definitely chosen the wrong skills and now my char is pretty bad against physical armor and is really useless until it's down.

I would love to play as a necromancer/polymorph hybrid if that's a good idea. What are the best skills/attributes/talents for it? Or would you recommend other combinations?

And what are the classes good for? Are they just presets?

Last edited by Psychonaut; 17/09/17 01:23 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I would pick any two-handed weapon preset at character creation. That way during you'll get a two-handed weapon on the ship during the beginning.

Edit the preset to have one point in necro and one in poly.

Take Blood Sucker, Decaying Touch and Bull Horns.

Take Opportunist as your starting talent. Make sure take take Leech as your next available Talent.

Focus stats are going to be STR/CON. Put att points into Memory/Wits only when needed.

Put one point into Hydro early so you can get the spell Raining Blood as soon as it's available.

You only *need* two points into Polymorph to get the spells you'll *need* which are, Spread Your Wings for more mobility and Heart Of Steel for more survivability. Feel free to pick up Tentacle Lash and Chicken Claw for cc/utility if and when you have the extra cash laying around. It's not a bad idea to get at least three points in Poly as Skin Graft and Summon Oily Blob are good spells too.

All other combat points should go to Two-Handed, Perseverance and lastly Poly (for more att points).

To me this is the most synergistic way to build Necro/Poly on one character (Without considering other party members of course). The primary goal will be to wear down enemies physically and dish out damage with two-handed weapons. Between Raining Blood and Opportunist there should be enough blood terrain for you to sustain with Blood Sucker/Leech. Poly will help you move around the battlefield with Bull Horns and Spread Your Wings, CC with Tentacle Lash/Chicken Claw and sustain your phys armor with Steel Your Heart.

If you want a build that is closer to a hybrid spell caster I would either go Scoundrel/Necro/Poly or Hunstman/Necro/Poly and focus FIN/INT. If you already have someone (or are going to) that deals a lot of physical damage I would go dual-wield wand and focus on spells that have statuses.

I'd been more than happy to go into more detail on the other three builds. I just didn't want to make this one post too massive so I focus on one. >3<

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
The plan was a hybrid spell caster, but the build you described sounds pretty cool, but i would prefer dual wield 1h more than a 2h weapon. If you don't mind would you describe a hybrid spell caster build too?

Thank you, i really appreciate it.

A
stranger
stranger
A
No problem!
I just need you to answer me a couple of questions first! smile

What difficulty are you playing on?

Are you looking to dual-wield melee or wands? (The reason my first build focuses more on getting the most out of poly/necro through buffs/sustain, as opposed to doing lots of casting, is because it's hard to fit points into doing all three effectively.)

Between necro and poly, which would you rather focus on more?

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
The second. Classic mode. Hmm decisions, decisions, i was never good at making decisions, but my original plan was to create a real badass necro/poly witch so let's take the wands and well, prefering necro or poly is much harder, but let's focus more on necro.

And again thank you for taking the time.

A
A
my character is a summoner.. with summon/necro/poly.. and its pretty amazing..

at max rank summoning the pet is a giant behemoth of destruction capable of holding its own in any fight.. along with my necromancy to attack them directly after my pet rips thru their armor like its butter.. with my poly i took spread wings cloak(in case the enemy tries to focus me down i can invis and let my much tankier pet handle things) heart of steel.. also took medusa head because i found the skillbook laying around and its actually quite good.. because now i can cc.harm them whether they have physical or magic armor.

my setup managed to 3 vs 1 my team in the arena where we were all forced to fight each other and won.. despite 1 being an assassin with stealth and backstab.. it didnt matter cus my pet shattered his armor then i kept him cced the rest of the fight.. they ended up calling my summoner OP..

they realized i was the greatest threat and even with them all teaming up against me.. they stood no chance against me and my pet... i know this isnt really related.. but it felt awsome to me to single handedly wipe my own team.

T
T
I play basically the same, except I have warfare instead of necro smile Utilizing big massive shield, greatly enhances my survivability while my pet rains destruction amongst my enemies (especially with shield up+soulmate+rallying cry we are basically unkillable) and as opposed to necro, i have lot more CC after incarnate destroys their armor (battlestomp+battering ram). And damage of bouncing shield is better than mosquitos too imo, and I dont have to bother with INT at all.

I just use rain of blood for setup, as I of course almost exclusively use blood incarnate.
Also adrenaline from scoundrel helps with first round, allowing you to summon and buff everything you need.

Only improvement I can ever think of would be playing as elf - utilizing flesh sacrifice for 1 extra ap at turn 1 (which is where you setup your pet) AND it gives you free pool of blood for summoning smile

Definitely reccomended, most fun you can have with your pants on imo.

old hand
old hand
Polymorph is good with anything, as it gives useful utility spells. I would not see it as a damage school. So your damage would mainly come from Necromancer.

I see it a bit of a waste to skip some great Necromancer snyergies. It goes well with Hydrosophist or Warfare or Scoundrel.

It does not synergize but maybe complement other magical schools, for the reason that Necro deals physical damage and most other magical skills deal magical damage. For a mixed group that seems ok, maybe even better for later big-armor-of-one-kind enemies.

My main is a Necro/Hydro/Warfare/Poly combination, using one-handed and shield, and it feels good till now. With a two-handed weapon it should be great, too.

S
stranger
stranger
S
From my experience the best thing to hybrid with necro is actually warfare. Since necro goes against armor, not magic armor. So they are the most synergistic. If you go with 2hander and a good bit of strength, the heals you get from just melee attacks is not insignificant. Im currently running a necro/warfare/pyro, and it really wrecks face, increadibly powerfull buffs, and insanely high damage, both single target, and aoe, and really really high survivability too boot.

The pyro is for buffs, and to have tools for things with really high normal armor only though. Haste and clear mind are really powerfull.

Last edited by Shared; 18/09/17 02:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Thx for all the suggestions, but i wanted to create a spell caster, so will try the summoner/necro combo that Adrianna mentioned. I hope that works for me and this is the last time that i have to restart the game. :silly:

Last edited by Psychonaut; 18/09/17 08:48 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
[quote=Adrianna]my character is a summoner.. with summon/necro/poly.. and its pretty amazing..

at max rank summoning the pet is a giant behemoth of destruction capable of holding its own in any fight.. along with my necromancy to attack them directly after my pet rips thru their armor like its butter.. with my poly i took spread wings cloak(in case the enemy tries to focus me down i can invis and let my much tankier pet handle things) heart of steel.. also took medusa head because i found the skillbook laying around and its actually quite good.. because now i can cc.harm them whether they have physical or magic armor.

my setup managed to 3 vs 1 my team in the arena where we were all forced to fight each other and won.. despite 1 being an assassin with stealth and backstab.. it didnt matter cus my pet shattered his armor then i kept him cced the rest of the fight.. they ended up calling my summoner OP..

they realized i was the greatest threat and even with them all teaming up against me.. they stood no chance against me and my pet... i know this isnt really related.. but it felt awsome to me to single handedly wipe my own team. [/quote]

How do you invested points in this setup?

Full STR/CON?
Also are you using 2 handed strength weapon or 1-shield?

Im trying the same build right now :p

A
A
im using wand and shield... i basically play as a support character while my pet deals the damage...this is because im the only support character in a team of rogues/warriors (multiplayer) so i had to pick up the slack in the healing/support department.. but i still manage to keep up with them due to the pet.. im sure you could get more damage by having elemental powers like fire or earth and infusing your pet with those... keep in mind that when you use buff abilities on your pet it uses your summoning level...

so if i used fortify on my pet.. that fortify spell would be boosted by my summoning level AND my geo level for ridiculous amounts of armor on my pet.

the primary stat for a summoner is wit... you want to always go first to ensure you have your beast of a pet out before the enemy has a turn...i have such high wit.. that several times i got 2 turns before my team got 1... i summoned and buffed my pet. then my pet attacked and did his thing.. then it was my turn again because my wit is so high.

for necromancy int doesnt do much... however leveling the warfare skill does boost damage from necromancer so thats an option.. but i focused on wit/con for my summoner.. im almost impossible to bring down and can dish out some nice damage as well with my pet and me together.

Last edited by Adrianna; 18/09/17 10:56 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Good point!

But I cannot see the use of wand since you have not points on INT.

Why not spend some STR and do some melee along with your pets and Necro?

A
A
I generally dislike melee in games.. so the wand is my preference.. im able to fly away and hit people with my wand if necessary... but usually i dont even attack with my weapon at all and just support the team from afar while my pet is in the frontlines beating people down.

Last edited by Adrianna; 19/09/17 09:22 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
So you didnt invest INT at all?

Sorry for my continuous questions but i want cross opinions since i tried a lot combibnations in the alpha with summoner but with no luck..

A
A
no i invested mostly in wit and con.. i put a few points in int solely for gear purposes.

essentially my character is a support character and my pet takes care of my damage for me... although recently i started going into geomancy so that my character herself actually had some attacks of her own.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard