Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#631985 18/10/17 03:43 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Being a Lone Wolf archer I tend to get a lot of loot that I cannot use obviously. I understand that the game is not designed in such a way where the loot is character focused.

But I have noticed that if I save just before a chest, and I can re-load the save over and over and over, hoping for an item I can use. Sometimes its worked, but atm it is not.

Has anyone else done this? The loot does change but this method its less than dependable.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I may be misremembering, but I seem to recall that the contents of the chests were determined before you get a chance to save to prevent that sort of thing. Though why it "needs" preventing is a whole different argument.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
I tried this for a little bit in Act 1 hoping to get a skill book I didn't already have, but I couldn't get it to realiably reroll except for the stats on the items. It didn't take long for me to give up, deciding it was not worth the time.

stranger
stranger
From what I observed, the loot is placed in a container when interacting with it. The actual loot generation is made in such a way that it will repeat upon reload, as long as you repeat the same actions (opening the same chest again and again). So, if you reload, do a combat, open the chest, you should have some randomization in the loot.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've gotten different loot from chests after maybe a 6th reload, I initially got 2 daggers in the ACT II Arena chest. Now I'm getting a mace/shield. So, it will change.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I remember doing something similar in Diablo 2 at the gambling vendor. I would save, gamble on an item, if it was junk I would just reload.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I dubbed this 'chest rolling' in the first game and spent tens of hours on it.

That's also why I never finished that game. I never wanted to feel compelled to do it again.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I have done that before pickpocketing Meistr. Had to reload because I got spotted and noticed that she had slightly different items after each reloading. Curiously enough, she always has a legendary item, but the actual stats change with every reload

Q
apprentice
apprentice
Q
If you save before opening chest and then open and find a Helm, reloading will always give you a helm in that chest -- If you open that chest after reloading, before opening anything else.

Each time, the stats of the helm will be random. You can re-roll the stats on the helm this way, but it will always be a helm.

However, you can alter the behavior by opening a different sequence of containers before the chest after each save. The same sequence will give you the same item type.

You can see the same thing with Lucky Find.

If you save before checking a room with 10 containers and get a lucky find on the 6th, for a Ring, you will always get a Lucky Find in that 6th container of a Ring, if you check in the same sequence each time.

If you use a different sequence so that some other container is your 6th that you check you will still get a lucky find that new 6th container, but it will be for some other item, like a Glove. This new sequence will always produce a glove when you re-load.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In an otherwise almost perfect game, I would prefer a loot system that is based off of the character I am playing (Diablo III). I realize that that is difficult with a 4-person party. But I am Lone Wolfing as an Archer and would love some Archer gear without having to reload a save hoping for something other than a staff or shield every time.

Also, the loot itemization could use some help too. I would kill for some gear with Wits/Fin/Warfare/Scoundrel, etc.

Last edited by Elendril; 20/10/17 03:36 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard