Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Soah Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Or will Larian stick to isometric style turn-based RPGs after the succes they've had with D:OS I & II? Come on, Larian; you know the mainline series deserves a third game!

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I've read here that what you said is in the works to close the story loop. Not being an insider, I guess it's best to regard this as gossip until someone knows for sure and can give out the info. My gut feeling is that it will happen.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think the "true" Divinity 3 will be Original Sin 3, since it attracted the most players and it has the mechanics to support the kind of story Swen wants to tell (meaning: a biiiiiig and epiiiiiic one). I wouldn't give up on another Dragon Knight - Game, though. The idea behind playing a shapeshifting dragon is too unique to slide and Larian likes to come back and make older stuff better smile.

Last edited by Zelon; 18/08/18 10:02 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I read somewhere (can't find it now) that there is a good chance Larian will just retcon Divinity 2 and pretend it did not happen and as Zelon said the true sequel with be Original Sin 3 which will be isometric.

Having said that with Original Sin 2 having multiple endings any sequel would have to be set far into the future so that any of the endings have little if any effect on the storyline of Original Sin 3. The other possibility is that the sequel will follow on from just one of the endings. I'm not gonna spoil anything but only one of Original Sin2's endings could lead into Divinity 2's story; the other three would make the events of Divinity 2 not possible.

Personally, I hope the retcon rumour isn't true and there is a sequel to Divinity 2 maybe even called Original Sin 3 but just set after the events of Divinity 2. After all Damian is not really defeated and he's mentioned multiple times throughout Original Sin2 hinting that Larian possibly would expand on his character for players who have not played any of the original Divinity games.

I'd guess that the storyline would be something along the lines of you are a 'new' dragon knight when the Patriarch and the dragon knight from Divinity 2 decides to bring them back into the world to defeat Damian who has returned to his former powers several years after his defeat. Or have it based around something new but then what happened to Damian? Guess the Patriarch was a bit upset about being gassed (was that green gas in Divinity 2 the deathfog from Original Sin2!?) and if he survived decided to apologise to the dragon knight that he was wrong and should intervene and then go on to kill Damian himself? Who knows...

The turn based isometric format was much more successful so I would guess any sequel would follow this format although I really would like to see another 3rd person format game.

Edit: Sorry about digging up an old post but the forum seems to have been updated and it was showing as an unread new topic even though it wasn't. BTW all the formatting seems messed up all of a sudden.

Last edited by Arokh; 23/10/18 05:30 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I did see the retcon thing as well but as far as I can tell it was just pure speculation: it seems the lore has been tweaked here and there but overall that doesn't mean D2 never happened, which would certainly suit me as, being my introduction to the Divinity series, personally I view it as pretty definitive! But both opinions are entirely personal.

Where the isometric thing is concerned, it's certainly caught people's attention though personally I have to wonder how much mileage there is in it as I think a certain amount of its appeal is down to nostalgia for what is a rather subjective "golden age". Ideally a new game would do the more commonplace 1st/3rd person that I'm more comfortable with as well as isometric... but trying to balance both real-time and turn-based may be prohibitively awkward.

As for digging up old posts, why not if it's on topic? I'm certainly not objecting. And yeah, the forum was updated recently as the older version really needed patching.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah I think the isometric view has a certain nostalgia feel to it; that as well as turn based combat wasn't something I like in games (I prefer the 1st / 3rd person view games) but having played Original Sin and Original Sin 2 I've warmed to it. I think it attracted old and new gamers alike and think there's still some mileage left in it. I would still would prefer any sequel to Divinity 2 to be 3rd person though.

As for the website, I run a couple of sites with blogs and forums myself and I constantly get hacking and mass spamming attempts. I'm constantly having to find ways to thwart them through plugins and security updates. Surprised Larian hadn't updated their forum software sooner. Keeping the server operating system up to date is important too. I use CentOS, no idea what Larian uses. This website is working but the page width varies on different pages. I've cleared my cache etc.

Last edited by Arokh; 23/10/18 07:14 PM.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've also warmed to it a little but I like the Original Sins in spite of their turn-based, isometric thing rather than because of it. It does seem that the engine is (presumably by intent) capable of both isometric and 1st/3rd person so I would hope that a possible Divinity 3 will at least offer that choice. Of course they won't call Divinity 2's successor Divinity 3, that would be too obvious. biggrin

The forum width thing is due to a typo in the width setting. I've raised it as an issue but will nag them about it if I haven't heard anything in another day or two.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard