Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tuco Online Content OP
veteran
OP Online Content
veteran
In this interview they are claiming that the game will have no day/night cycle at all.

https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3-pax-east-interview-listening-to-fan-feedback-adding-raytracing/

Honestly this is the first thing I'm genuinely pissed about. I don't even want to hear the justifications about how it's a costly feature.

They are blowing basically unlimited budget on this goddamn production, I'm sure they could have spared a percentage of the budget to account for that.
It would also be a long term investment, as they'd be able to recycle the tech (variable lighting, time passing, scheduling, etc) for each of their subsequent titles, in some form.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Banned
Banned
They also say that there will be no random encounters at the end. Double sad.

Tuco Online Content OP
veteran
OP Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by kungfukappa

That's absolutely trivial in comparison.
Random encounters would be a thing that triggers only traveling between locations, anyway. And it would take virtually no effort to implement a dozen of them in the last month of development.

Conversely, no nigh/day cycle is going to set a large number of limitations on the flexibility of the setting.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Banned
Banned
okay, sure, my opinion is trivial compared to yours.

wtf is wrong with gamers these days. i'm out of here, Larian.

addict
addict
All the camp scenes shown were at night. There is a concept of days in the game and it's quite possible certain quests/events/area are set at night as the story progress.

People keep saying the game is a clone of DOS2, but I see more a clone of Dragon Age personally.

It says no procedurrally created encounters are in the game. BG1/BG2 random encounters were all handcrafted as were the ones in Dragon Age Origins, Pillars of Eternity 2 and even Pathfinder Kingmaker. They just trigger randomly while you travel.

Last edited by azarhal; 07/03/20 02:42 AM.
Tuco Online Content OP
veteran
OP Online Content
veteran

You can't even follow the logical thread of conversations you butt in, somehow.

You made a complaint that isn't related to the thread and I explained to you why it's not that much relevant.
As the user above me pointed in even greater detail, these games rarely EVER relied on random encounters to begin with.

apprentice
apprentice
Thx Tuco for reposting from Steam, I also am worried for the first time about this even tho I have no brains for this to contribute to topic but It should be greatly discussed.. We need EA ASAP...

journeyman
journeyman

Neither opinion is trivial. Random encounters are handy because they help to level you when you're stuck. There are many times when playing divinity OS II that I wish I could have leveled by grinding a bit.

Day Night Cycle would be nice for me for two reasons. One, I like vampires, but their nocturnal nature seems to have been "resolved" by the tadpole so I can get over that. However, two I like to steal and daylight thieving is a dumb idea.

That all said if they are planning the game to have a time limit then each day following the story will have to be meaningful. So I can understand them not implementing it.

One way i think they could implement "random" encounters would be to have some planned encounters that randomly get seeded into each game. That or if you do "certain" things it would trigger an encounter. Such as killing a random NPC there is no point in killing or slaughtering a herd of cows for XP.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by azarhal
All the camp scenes shown were at night. There is a concept of days in the game and it's quite possible certain quests/events/area are set at night as the story progress.

People keep saying the game is a clone of DOS2, but I see more a clone of Dragon Age personally.

It says no procedurrally created encounters are in the game. BG1/BG2 random encounters were all handcrafted as were the ones in Dragon Age Origins, Pillars of Eternity 2 and even Pathfinder Kingmaker. They just trigger randomly while you travel.

This is an excellent point that I hadn't thought of.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by From the Divinity Original Sin FAQ.

Will Divinity Original Sin 2 have a Day and Night Cycle?

No, we have no plans to introduce a day and night cycle. What we're trying to do at the narrative & scripting level is really complicated, so to even contemplate adding yet another extra dimension of complexity to that gives us a headache. The impact of the player origins combined with a higher level of freedom than the already insane amount of freedom you had in Divinity: Original Sin, added to the options required for multiplayer mode already means that our development is going to be hugely complex. Until we tame all of that, we won't add an extra layer. Perhaps for another game, but definitely not for this one.

edit: I forgot to link the Kickstarter FAQ and put a 2 after sin
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/faqs

This is another Game!!! No night was really the only thing I hated about DOS2. Most monsters are Nocturnal. You giving them all Tadpoles too? (Jumping back on the fence)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Nobody_Special; 07/03/20 03:34 AM.
Tuco Online Content OP
veteran
OP Online Content
veteran
Imagine that.
If someone asked me beforehand "Look, we can either have a night/day cycle with consequent NPC scheduling OR we can get a bunch of characters origins" I would have provbably answered "Look, feel free to shove your character origins up you asses. Let's go ahead full steam with that daily cycle",

addict
addict
Hmmm 🤔
Not sure I like the sound of no Day/Night cycle if that is true. Wonder if they’re going to script it instead, I.e. party has conversation about doing mission x that evening and then it switches to night time until you’re done.

apprentice
apprentice
This sucks and takes away from the immersion quite a lot.

Like others said, many monsters in D&D are nocturnal and fighting undead in broad daylight is kinda eh …

Unless they pull a Divinity Original Sin where the time of day will magically shift as you go from one area to another (i.e. always get dark once you approach the cemetery).

veteran
veteran
This really bothers me.

journeyman
journeyman
Well crap, no day / night cycle apparently:

During the original Divinity: Original Sin crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter, the very last stretch goal mentioned a day and night cycle, NPC schedules and weather systems. All of these could have impacted NPCs, monsters and magic. Do you still discuss the possibility of making a truly simulated game world at some point in the future?

Adam: I do in my own head constantly. I think it's a very different game. One of my favorite games of all time is Ultima Seven and it was the first game that I played that had proper NPC behaviors. You could wait for someone to go to the pub and then you could rob their shop. I love stuff like that, but a game that's built like that does very different things. We are very, very story focused as well and there's things that you lose. Also: multiplayer. We're a multiplayer game and day-night cycles in multiplayer becomes incredibly complicated. We're doing so many really complex things already that we know are going to be really good that, on top of that, it wouldn't fit this game.

I love simulated worlds and we have a lot of that stuff in there. We don't do the day-night cycle but we do the things where things in the world happen because you caused them to happen and they can happen off-screen. So, there are things happening off-screen. The world isn't just what you see on your screen. There are events that happen and things that will, because of the choices you've made, things will happen elsewhere. Those are real, those are systemic. Our systems are running in the background the whole time. There are incredibly deep systems. Some of them don't make sense for this game, but yeah, we think about it and we've talked about it.

what a lame excuse.

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 07/03/20 09:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
I read from reddit that it's been confirmed that as a vampire you can "harvest" people while they sleep, which would hint that a night / day cycle will be somehow implemented. Not sure if it's the same as BG where you can just rest for 8 hours by pressing a button. Then again this game seems to have some sort of a time limit with the tadpole, so maybe resting at will won't fit into that very well.

You feed from your companions at camp.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
I read from reddit that it's been confirmed that as a vampire you can "harvest" people while they sleep, which would hint that a night / day cycle will be somehow implemented. Not sure if it's the same as BG where you can just rest for 8 hours by pressing a button. Then again this game seems to have some sort of a time limit with the tadpole, so maybe resting at will won't fit into that very well.

You feed from your companions at camp.

Yeah, I somehow figured you could attack enemy camps at night. Apparently not! This is quite a dissapointment.

journeyman
journeyman
Then again it all depends on how the lack of a day / night cycle will be implemented. A lot of RPG games don't have a day / night cycle, for example Vampire the Masquarade : Bloodlines which despite it faults is an excellent RPG.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Same deal with the Dragon Ages where areas had a fixed time of day. I would've preferred a proper day/night cycle but at least it gave an illusion that there was one, kinda sorta.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
We have almost no idea about the most things that Baldurs Gate 3 has to offer,
maybe no one will ever notice the missing day/night-cycle again once we start playing,
because it's simply... true, what Adam said,
and it doesn't fit, and the game is really good anyway?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard