Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#665561 02/04/20 10:18 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am trying to find out if the developers have said anything about whether ability scores will be determined by standard array, point buy, or rolling for scores. If anybody knows, could you please enlighten me or link a source. Thank you.

veteran
veteran
Right now looking at the screenshots from character creation, the current method is Standard Array. However, I believe point-buy will be added, and maybe rolls as well.

X
journeyman
journeyman
X
They have not stated, however if you look at the gameplay reveal, it looks like PHB Point Buy.

Custom character creation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhawYZwvPI&feature=youtu.be&t=1836 (+1 Cha for Lightfoot subrace added, equals standard array. They did not have the main race's bonus listed at the time.)
Astarion's character sheet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhawYZwvPI&feature=youtu.be&t=3030 (racial bonuses not applied yet, equals standard array.)

Last edited by Xvim; 02/04/20 11:28 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

If you got to time 1:13 in this video, she says "they have confirmed point by and rolling", but i have no idea what her source is. (Also, id like to cast a level 5 charm spell on the chick that made this video, shes quite easy on the eyes)

Last edited by vometia; 03/04/20 12:43 AM. Reason: video
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Originally Posted by Jail_Sweat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7YKXuBVU-g&t=97s

If you got to time 1:13 in this video, she says "they have confirmed point by and rolling", but i have no idea what her source is. (Also, id like to cast a level 5 charm spell on the chick that made this video, shes quite easy on the eyes)

That is saying that those are the methods available in 5e D&D, not that they have confirmed it.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
"
Originally Posted by Xvim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7YKXuBVU-g&t=97s

That is saying that those are the methods available in 5e D&D, not that they have confirmed it.

I will quote her, "For BG3, they have confirmed that you will be able to choose between the point buy and the rolling method." I dont know what video you were watching.

Last edited by vometia; 03/04/20 12:43 AM. Reason: formatting
X
journeyman
journeyman
X

I will quote her, "For BG3, they have confirmed that you will be able to choose between the point buy and the rolling method." I dont know what video you were watching.

First, that isn't what she said. She said "the base score is determined by 1 of 3 methods, randomly rolling dice, the standard array, or the point buy system." That is true....but she doesn't say they have confirmed all 3 will be in.
Second, context matters. Her sources, if you were to see the associated reddit post was the book and that it's more about 5e than the adaptations to it (although Larian has stated they will remain close to 5e while trying to retain the spirit of it). https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...to_character_creation/fl6n7lb/?context=3

stranger
OP Offline
stranger

First, that isn't what she said. She said "the base score is determined by 1 of 3 methods, randomly rolling dice, the standard array, or the point buy system." That is true....but she doesn't say they have confirmed all 3 will be in.
Second, context matters. Her sources, if you were to see the associated reddit post was the book and that it's more about 5e than the adaptations to it (although Larian has stated they will remain close to 5e while trying to retain the spirit of it). https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...to_character_creation/fl6n7lb/?context=3

I literally wrote down word for word what she said, soooo THAT IS WHAT SHE SAID.

X
journeyman
journeyman
X

I literally wrote down word for word what she said, soooo THAT IS WHAT SHE SAID.

I stand corrected. The time was a little later than what you had stated as a place to look. No idea what source that is either.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It's all good. I mean, I'm sure she heard it somewhere but I've scoured the internet, looked through every nook and cranny, and i cant find anything.

veteran
veteran
I have read that before as well, though with no direct source quoted.

Banned
Banned
Hi Wormerine, Also confirmed in this interview.

https://twinfinite.net/features/baldurs-gate-3-interview/

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
That's 2020. 3+ years ago. Things change sadly. It be nice if this was confirmed now with the game less than 2 weeks away. This would be one of my my big 5 pet peeves thrown in the trash which would be a boost.

Last edited by Volourn; 20/07/23 06:08 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Locking another necro-ed thread

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Im not sure if you just forgot to lock this one ...
Or decided to leave one for us to talk ...
But i hope for the ladder, since there is one thing i believe is worth talking about, and this is just as good place as any.

Since we all know its old article ... or at least i believe *now* we all know. laugh

And yes, obviously its totally possible that Larian just changed their mind and either decided to keep it secret, or simply forgot, or whatever else i dunno ...
We all CERTAINLY KNOW that communication is not their strogest aspect. :-/

Question is tho ...
Should we really dismiss it so easily?

And quite honestly, i dont think we should.

After all, this IS (or was, w/e pedants :P ) as official confirmation as it can get ...

And if you remember the scandal about X-Box not being anounced ... wich many articles took as there is no release on that console ...
Larian were defending by "we didnt say that" policy ...

Now, this ... they certainly said!

So ... im sticking to:
Whatever was announced, is concidered confirmed, unless (or until) they say otherwise!

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 20/07/23 08:08 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Yep, I guess the forum timed out when I was trying to lock it. I’m going to do that now, but feel free to link back to this thread from another more recent one if you think that it includes useful context.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard