Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
journeyman
journeyman
But it was meant to be authentic... I rather simplify the combat, but not the flavor. Wich make me cry only a little, because i feel like I want the real deal DnD combat. Yes i know you gotta multiclass fighter.

I just saw a TV scene of a very sad guy, tear a letter into small pieces, throwing them into the air, looking very sad. That's how i feel, being the sad guy in a DOS confetti rain.

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 08:05 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I actually don't know the rules of DnD 5e, but I still guess there is much DOS in the game (which is not part of DnD 5e), at least when it comes up to having half the ground being in flames from one little arrow with a fire tip and this general overuse of ground effects.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Grantig
I actually don't know the rules of DnD 5e, but I still guess there is much DOS in the game (which is not part of DnD 5e), at least when it comes up to having half the ground being in flames from one little arrow with a fire tip and this general overuse of ground effects.

Burning surfaces add depth to the game, it's worth it.

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 08:27 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Yezam

No they don't - diverse classes and distinct abilities do. Placing everything needed to solve a given encounter in the world, just makes every encounter a big environmental puzzle...

Last edited by WarBaby2; 08/10/20 08:30 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

No they don't - diverse classes and distinct abilities do. Placing everything needed to solve a given encounter in the world, just makes every encounter a big environmental puzzle...

=(

enthusiast
enthusiast

=(

Sorry, but I guess DOS and DnD folks have a fundamentally different deffinition the therm "deep game"... wink

journeyman
journeyman
Just imagine different difficulty settings will go from casual DOS to Hardcore DOS... does it mean more burning surfaces?

journeyman
journeyman
it's ok if i can make my displacement 6sorc/xpally but the fire will still burn. and i cannot do anything about it... maybe add some cursed flames, you need to bless and then use the stashed water bombs. (i know that's very cynical, it feels worse).

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 08:55 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Grantig

If you had to give up literally anything to make burning surfaces, and if it weren't an absolutely no-brainer to just cover the enemy position in fire and ice, it would add depth. Right now it's just 'Press button make fire go brrrrrrr', and it gets old fast. Zero strategy.

journeyman
journeyman
i think u are right it would end, in a resist energy spam. so put it on every character... the problem is solved... now set everything on fire. just not my sorc/pally. They implement DnD bad into Baldurs Sin 3

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 09:06 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I WANNA BUILD MY HERO <-- AS I LIKE THIS WOULD BE THE WAY TO SUCCESS OF DND BALDURS SIN 3

I DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT HARDCORE TACTICS

FFS

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 09:21 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Jharryl
Bought this expecting BG.

I agree. Calling this game Baldur's Gate" is like calling the next generation of "Ford Mustang" a "pizza". They may both be good, but they have little in common.

I like this game, don't get me wrong. It's a nice D&D turn-based RPG. Very modern. Very good on its own merits.

But for those that waited for this game expecting the next installment of BG, they will be very disappointed. As I was. Larian should've used a different name. Very disappointing to old-time die-hard BG fans like myself.

Last edited by Fester23; 08/10/20 09:22 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Fester23
Originally Posted by Jharryl
Bought this expecting BG.

I agree. Calling this game Baldur's Gate" is like calling the next generation of "Ford Mustang" a "pizza". They may both be good, but they have little in common.

I like this game, don't get me wrong. It's a nice D&D turn-based RPG. Very modern. Very good on its own merits.

But for those for those waited for this game for ages, expecting the next installment of BG, they will be very disappointed. As I was. Larian should've used a different name. It's a "bait and switch".

This goes beyond just the combat, too. Absolutely nothing in the aesthetic, tone, story, design, or presentation of the game fits in with the series. When Fallout 3 radically changed the way the game played, it was fine, because it successfully captured the identity of the series when modernizing it. Here, they're literally just making a new DIVOS game using the Forgotten Realms IP.

journeyman
journeyman
It's so dissapointing...

journeyman
journeyman
but it's early access

W
veteran
veteran
W
The presentation and design of BG1 and 2 had a lot to do with the limitations of their software and the hardware at the time. That said, I find the visual design of BG3 very similar to BG 1 and 2.

BG1 opens up with your foster father being murdered by your brother.
BG2 opens up with your character having been captured, tortured, and having their soul removed.
BG2 opens up with your character being captured and having an illithid tadpole implanted in their skull.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but if you are going to tell me that BG3’s tone is a major departure then I think you are letting bias cloud your judgement. This feels very much like the Baldur’s Gate I remember.

Last edited by Warlocke; 08/10/20 09:33 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
but it's early access

True... there still is hope. But if the basic design philosophy is borked? I dunno.

I can say one thing, though: Modern Realms are quite a different place from 2nd edition times. They have become much more modern and "flashy" to begin with, over the last couple of years... I think that's a factor as far as the game's tone goes.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
The presentation and design of BG1 and 2 had a lot to do with the limitations of their software and the hardware at the time. That said, I find the visual design of BG3 very similar to BG 1 and 2.

BG2 opens up with your character having been captured, tortured, and having their soul removed.
BG2 opens up with your character being captured and having an illithid tadpole implanted in their skull.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but if you are going to tell me that BG3’s tone is a major departure then I think you are letting bias cloud your judgement. This feels very much like the Baldur’s Gate I remember.

The opening is fine, taken on it's own... a bit "Planescapy", but I kinda dig it. Sadly it goes all down hill from there, though.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 08/10/20 09:39 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
There’s obvious similarities with DOS games, but most of the DOS feel I get seems to be engine related stuff- how the camera control works, how you move characters, etc. plus some UI elements like container icons being the same, which hardly seems important but I guess could changed. It’s like DOS games about as much as all infinity engine (or similar) games are the same.

The characters, tone, art style, etc are very different, as is the combat system, the lack of equipment levelling, inclusion of skill checks. The lifelike character models, dialogue animations and cutscenes also go a long way to change the feel of it.

There’s a few more things they could do to differentiate the franchises. I agree with many others that the use of elemental surfaces could be toned down for example, and that’s the kind of thing they may well change based on feedback.

It was always going to be very different to BG 1 & 2 of course. Sticking to the formula of a 20 year old game wouldn’t have been very ambitious and IMO would have been doing it a disservice.

W
veteran
veteran
W
but it's early access

True... there still is hope. But if the basic design philosophy is borked? I dunno.

I can say one thing, though: Modern Realms are quite a different place from 2nd edition times. They have become much more modern and "flashy" to begin with, over the last couple of years... I think that's a factor as far as the game's tone goes.

This is true. 5E is way more flashy. 2E characters are grittier, while 5E characters are basically superheroes in the making. As an old school 2.5E player I was very opposed to this until I tried 5E and had more fun playing D&D than ever before. 😂

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Well, ok i played ddo for a long time, I admit I know every Eberron build there is out there. But i would build them over and over and over again if I feel like it, i just cannot do so in Baldurs Gate 3 tbh i don't wanna skip this title but... I cannot find any joy to it, thinking of the not used potential it has.

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 09:40 PM.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard