Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
Originally Posted by Yezam
but it's early access

True... there still is hope. But if the basic design philosophy is borked? I dunno.

I can say one thing, though: Modern Realms are quite a different place from 2nd edition times. They have become much more modern and "flashy" to begin with, over the last couple of years... I think that's a factor as far as the game's tone goes.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
The presentation and design of BG1 and 2 had a lot to do with the limitations of their software and the hardware at the time. That said, I find the visual design of BG3 very similar to BG 1 and 2.

BG1 opens up with your foster father being murdered by your brother.
BG2 opens up with your character having been captured, tortured, and having their soul removed.
BG2 opens up with your character being captured and having an illithid tadpole implanted in their skull.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but if you are going to tell me that BG3’s tone is a major departure then I think you are letting bias cloud your judgement. This feels very much like the Baldur’s Gate I remember.

The opening is fine, taken on it's own... a bit "Planescapy", but I kinda dig it. Sadly it goes all down hill from there, though.

Really? I found the opposite. The more I played the more at home I felt. By the time I got to the Druid grove I was fully committed to this being a true BG game.

journeyman
journeyman
but it's early access

True... there still is hope. But if the basic design philosophy is borked? I dunno.

I can say one thing, though: Modern Realms are quite a different place from 2nd edition times. They have become much more modern and "flashy" to begin with, over the last couple of years... I think that's a factor as far as the game's tone goes.

This is true. 5E is way more flashy. 2E characters are grittier, while 5E characters are basically superheroes in the making. As an old school 2.5E player I was very opposed to this until I tried 5E and had more fun playing D&D than ever before. 😂

Don't get my hopes high. I really like to see stuff in BG3.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This is true. 5E is way more flashy. 2E characters are grittier, while 5E characters are basically superheroes in the making. As an old school 2.5E player I was very opposed to this until I tried 5E and had more fun playing D&D than ever before. 😂

5e is fine... it's no 2.5 (and sure as hack no 3.5) but it has it's merits, but to make it work in video game form, you have to take it "seriously". Distinct classes, tight combat system, impactful skill system, the whole thing. You can't play fast and loose with it, like D:OS does, or it won't work.

Really? I found the opposite. The more I played the more at home I felt. By the time I got to the Druid grove I was fully committed to this being a true BG game.

You did? Even the whole bizarro goblins episode?

Last edited by WarBaby2; 08/10/20 09:47 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W

5e is fine... it's no 2.5 (and sure as hack no 3.5) but it has it's merits, but to make it work in video game, you have to take it "seriously". Distinct classes, tight combat system, impactful skill sytem, the whole thing. You can't play fast and loose with it like D:OS does with it's sytems, or it won't work.

I agree, but the way Larian listens to feedback and looking at how much DOS2 changed over EA, I’m not worried about BG3’s rough edges being smoothed over.

journeyman
journeyman
but it's early access

The presentation and design of BG1 and 2 had a lot to do with the limitations of their software and the hardware at the time. That said, I find the visual design of BG3 very similar to BG 1 and 2.

BG1 opens up with your foster father being murdered by your brother.
BG2 opens up with your character having been captured, tortured, and having their soul removed.
BG2 opens up with your character being captured and having an illithid tadpole implanted in their skull.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but if you are going to tell me that BG3’s tone is a major departure then I think you are letting bias cloud your judgement. This feels very much like the Baldur’s Gate I remember.

The opening is fine, taken on it's own... a bit "Planescapy", but I kinda dig it. Sadly it goes all down hill from there, though.

The druid grove is where my mind tricked me, thinking it was DOS as i heard the same voice acting as in the named game from a very happy sounding, good vibes carrying freaking SHADOWHEART as overhead dialogue volume.

journeyman
journeyman
We are all entitled to your opinions

Darned straight!

Kidding aside, the opening cinematic and dungeon are fine. Not more of a departure from 2 than 2 is from 1. It leaves a good first impression.

Unfortunately, after that, you wake up in a DIVOS game. The loading screens, character creation menu, UI design, and in-game menus are all cribbed straight out of DIVOS with nearly no changes, the Bhaal symbols and 'natural material' motifs that were everywhere in the old game menus are nowhere to be seen, and all of the characters we've met so far are edgy dorks that would be much more at home in Fort Joy (which the starting zone happens to extremely closely resemble...) than in even Jon Irenicus's dungeon. Baldur's Gate had a solid mix of serious and goofy, and I'm not really seeing any of the quirky random encounters or warm (or at least charismatically and enthusiastically evil) characters or strong personalities that defined the previous games here.

Last edited by Deemer; 08/10/20 09:51 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
nah it's too much i quit

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Deemer
We are all entitled to your opinions

Darned straight!

Kidding aside, the opening cinematic and dungeon are fine. Not more of a departure from 2 than 2 is from 1. It leaves a good first impression.

Unfortunately, after that, you wake up in a DIVOS game. The loading screens, character creation menu, UI design, and in-game menus are all cribbed straight out of DIVOS with nearly no changes, the Bhaal symbols and 'natural material' motif that were everywhere in the old games are nowhere to be seen, and all of the characters we've met so far are edgy dorks that would be much more at home in Fort Joy (which the starting zone happens to extremely closely resemble...) than even in Irenicus's dungeon. Baldur's Gate had a solid mix of serious and goofy, and I'm not really seeing any of the quirky random encounters or warm (or at least charismatically and enthusiastically evil) characters or strong personalities that defined the previous games here.

Gotta love those perfect typos. 😂

I get what you are saying about the UI, and I’ll give you that. I guess UI just isn’t a big part of any game experience for me.

I’m actually surprised at how much I like the companions, edgy as they are. Especially Wyll. So that’s just a matter of opinion. But it’s important to remember that more companions are coming.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Larian makes sensical game systems that mesh together well and when an ability reads that it does something it actually does it.
Obsidian for all thier ackomplishments still puts out very janky mechanically games that dont work right.

dont believe me go do some accuracy searching for deadfire its an absolute train wreck of people hacking thier characters up to insane accuracy stats so they can hit anything because they forgot that people might actually use the multiclassing system they put in.

Short and simple Larian is better thats why they got the IP they deserve it and they will put D and D into a game better than anything the others can do. Larian's WHEELHOUSE is turn based tactics. d and d is turn based tactics mechanically.

stranger
stranger
Well I'll just say...

I'm 53 years old. I've played D&D since 1980. I've been through so many plays of BGI/BGII (and the spinoffs) that I can't count them. I've solo'd with different character classes. I go back to the original Monster Manual.

This new game is good. But it's not Baldur's Gate.

Last edited by Fester23; 08/10/20 10:44 PM.
stranger
stranger
I mean... and? What, exactly? Sure, BG3 could be compared to be a theoretical D:OS3 - and frankly, I love it! I loved D:OS2 and it's one of my favorite games. When I heard Larian was making BG3, I was - and am - super excited. D:OS2 played a lot like D&D for me, so I thought Larian was a good compliment.

If you wanted Baldur's Gate 3 to be a one of one in the flavor of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, the only way it would have been possible is if whatever studio got the old BioWare devs - modern-day BioWare wouldn't be able to do it, because the current BioWare is fundamentally different from the BioWare that developed the originals. The only other studio I think could have done it any justice is Obsidian. If you want a more "classic baldurs gate feel," Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2 or Tyranny might do it for you, but I think Larian is doing a really good job with BG3. I play a lot of 5e and I think they've done a good job so far on transitioning things from 5e mechanically into a video game format.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Fester23
Well I'll just say...

I'm 53 years old. I've played D&D since 1980. I've been through so many plays of BGI/BGII (and the spinoffs) that I can't count them. I've solo'd with different character classes. I go back to the original Monster Manual.

This new game is good. But it's not Baldur's Gate.

This argument has gotten pretty tired.
I swear, the only way to have fully satisfied a lot of the critics saying that "it's not Baldur's Gate" was to have just made this game a 3D version of that janky infinity engine.
I played the first two entries in the series when they were relevant too, and I'm extremely happy that they took a huge step forward and evolved the series.
Progress is good.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Epona
I play a lot of 5e and I think they've done a good job so far on transitioning things from 5e mechanically into a video game format.

Combat in this game plays out drastically differently from how it does in DnD, and their surface system is a poor substitute for having a creative human GM. Imagine having a bastard of a GM that makes you save to not trip and fall over your own frozen blood every. single. time. you get hit with a frost cantrip or weapon that applies cold damage. That's what this game does.

stranger
stranger
... the only way it would have been possible is if whatever studio got the old BioWare devs...

Don't lecture me about what is possible with current technology. "The only way it's possible is"...

My a$$. I'm a developer.

BG3 should've felt like and been similar to BG1/BG2. ...if it was going to promote itself as the next installment. If' it's not (and that's fine) - don't bait and switch. Don't use the name to insinuate it'll be like it was before. That's what Larian has done. And it's pissed off some old-timers, like myself.

Last edited by Fester23; 08/10/20 11:08 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
... the only way it would have been possible is if whatever studio got the old BioWare devs...

Don't lecture me about what is possible with current technology. "The only way it's possible is"...

My a$$. I'm a developer.

BG3 should've felt like and been similar to BG1/BG2. If was going to promote itself as the next installment. If's not (and that's fine) - but just don't bait and switch. Don't use the name to insinuate it'll be like it was before. That's what Larian has done. And it's pissed off some old-timers. Like myself.

Imagine if Bethesda released an early access of Fallout 3 and just copy-pasted the Oblivion UI onto the game instead of keeping the PIPBoy and menu cartoons from FO1&2. Their forums would probably look worse than these ones do!

Saying that the only way to please most of the BG1&2 fans complaining on this forum is to just make another Inifnity Engine game is a dogshit slippery slope fallacy of an argument. Larian just didn't even try on that front.

Last edited by Deemer; 08/10/20 11:11 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I swear, the only way to have fully satisfied a lot of the critics saying that "it's not Baldur's Gate" was to have just made this game a 3D version of that janky infinity engine.

YES!

You get it. That's exactly what the old-timers like me were hoping for. I'm not being sarcastic. Exactly what we were hoping for. Perhaps with some modern technology enhancements. But not much change in the look/feel/UI. New stories on the same (or similar) engine.

Last edited by Fester23; 08/10/20 11:15 PM.
stranger
stranger
You are an insulting person, Deemer. I never insulted you.
dogshit slippery slope fallacy of an argument
That's pretty insulting. Do you feel better now?

I only stated - as the OP stated - that original BG fans were disappointed with this so-called BG release. And gave reasons why. I support his (or her) premise. He's not the only person with that opinion. So now you insult us for it.

Now that's down to infantile insulting (and I mean really infantiel) - I don't give a sh** what you think. You've already proven yourself to be a loser. I will spend no more time on you, moron. Go vote for your "savior", if you can find the rebar to pry your head out of your own a$$.

Happy now, a$$hole? F**k you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This game isn't BG nor DoS it's Dragon age! Just listen to that voice actor of Gale!!! Yup you hear correctly, it's probably the very same one that played the love interest in the first dragon age!!!

Ha take that, I win!! *does the happy dance with the Angry Wench of a Githyanki* oh yeah this shows how serious I take this thread.

on the other note there are valid points on both sides of the arguement. These valid points are simply because it's using the same engine as DoS so there will be similairities in everything. Much the same as Electronic Arts video games all have similar things, Bethesda games all have similar things. Besides the engine it's the same people working on the art it's their art style, most probably do it subconsciously without realizing it. Same goes for every member of the team, they without thinking do certain things. Everyone does they fall into HABITS in everything they do speech, movement, eating, lights, smoking, drinking, preferences, etc. It is far more constructive to make a list of why you feel that BG3 seems like DoS, or if your wearing the opposite shoe state your reasons why you feel this way.

Simply attacking others views is childish, responding to others attacks with a slew of insults is childish. Your adults or near enough to realize this is typical play ground behavior, and in no way shape or form adding to the game we are ALL hear to talk about. (I know it's childish because I've done it, and have to stop myself from doing it.)

My thoughts is that overall this feels far more like a D&D game then it does DoS I personally didn't like DoS, it didn't drag me into it. It was confusing to, the 'magic' or whatever it had in it just seemed for to redundant. In BG3 it is far better done, but again this is a difference between DoS, and BG3. Again as stated in other forums and above there will be similarities between the 2 games do to fact it's the same people. The story of previous BG games was concluded, finished, done, over. Yet they can still be linked in this game in some way shape or form.

If it's another you are the CHOSEN One game I will probably uninstal, I don't want copy pasted, over used, archaic story line, that has 0 originality to it.<<<--- This is my opinion. Anyway back to killing the Gith Wench.

journeyman
journeyman
Now that's down to infantile insulting (and I mean really infantiel) - I don't give a sh** what you think. You've already proven yourself to be a loser. I will spend no more time on you, moron. Go vote for your "savior", if you can find the rebar to pry your head out of your own a$$.

Happy now, a$$hole? F**k you.

Yes, I am happy! You put on a great show, thanks.

Edit: ... Don't you mean 'crowbar', though?

Double edit: in hindsight, this is extra hilarious as my post is explicitly agreeing with yours, and the argument that I'm lambasting is a counter argument that was presented elsewhere in the thread. Get help buddy.

Last edited by Deemer; 09/10/20 03:58 AM.
Jharryl Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Burning surfaces add depth to the game, it's worth it.

No they don't - diverse classes and distinct abilities do. Placing everything needed to solve a given encounter in the world, just makes every encounter a big environmental puzzle...

=(

Sorry, but I guess DOS and DnD folks have a fundamentally different deffinition the therm "deep game"... wink

EXACTLY! And THAT, more than anything else, is why this SHOULD be called DOS 3, not BG 3.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard