Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
So I started a second character and noticed that the saves for the new character are in the same "folder" as my first character. So all autosaves and quick saves will overwrite the saves from my first character. I imagine this will be changed at some point but just a heads up to be careful if you start a second character but play to go back to the first one at some point you might accidently overwrite your saves.

Did you start a new Profile?

G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
I'm supposed to create a new profile each time I start a new game? It should automatically separate saves for each new game like basically every other rpg does.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I haven't tested it, but I presume that permanent saves should avoid the problem. I always view auto/quicksaves as rather ephemeral things. That's not to say I don't find myself overly-reliant on them because I tend to forget to make enough permanent saves so I periodically backup the entire save directory. It's saved me on a few occasions; actually a lot of occasions.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Even when I start a new profile, there seems to be no difference.

What is a profile supposed to be able to do?

enthusiast
enthusiast
so far...."quicksave" does a generic quicksave of who I am currently playing/hosting and this appears to be the case regardless of which profile I am in.

Frankly I can't see that being in any different "profile" makes any difference at all.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Pretty sure you supposed to create a new profile. If you go to settings you will see there is a autosave file limit. I don't wanna sound like an A-hole here but I thought creating a new profile was pretty obvious as it's the first thing I thought of when I started my second play through.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GamerSerg
I'm supposed to create a new profile each time I start a new game? It should automatically separate saves for each new game like basically every other rpg does.

Divinity 2 also does this - even if its a MP game on the same profile as your single game. Lost a lot of time on that little discovery smile

I would suggest a profile per MP game and per Single player game. It really doesnt take much effort and ensures your saves work.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
Also, use manual saves occasionally. Do people not understand that "quicksaves" and "autosaves" are quick because they use the same set of slots?

Originally Posted by Newtinmpls
Even when I start a new profile, there seems to be no difference.

What is a profile supposed to be able to do?

I've made new profiles and the load game screen doesn't have any quicksaves visible. I can check and see if it really does overwrite ones in other profiles, though...

Last edited by Stabbey; 15/10/20 12:03 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Also, use manual saves occasionally. Do people not understand that "quicksaves" and "autosaves" are quick because they use the same set of slots?

I thought they were quick because you just hit F5 :p

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Orbax

Correct, you don't have to type in a new name or hit okay or anything. You just hit a button and it saves. The quicksave system doesn't usually create an indefinite number of non-overwriting files, because that could eat up lots of space.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Orbax

Correct, you don't have to type in a new name or hit okay or anything. You just hit a button and it saves. The quicksave system doesn't usually create an indefinite number of non-overwriting files, because that could eat up lots of space.

I know, I was being facetious haha

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GamerSerg
So I started a second character and noticed that the saves for the new character are in the same "folder" as my first character. So all autosaves and quick saves will overwrite the saves from my first character. I imagine this will be changed at some point but just a heads up to be careful if you start a second character but play to go back to the first one at some point you might accidently overwrite your saves.

Good point; all my "saves" are in the same place, regardless of profile, so I've taken to naming them with a character name or similar so I know "who" I'm picking (before I got organized I had some unpleasant surprises).

T
addict
addict
T
This is really why you should manual save at least once for any character you want to play much. Quicksaves are often limited.

Link Copied to Clipboard