Print Thread
#680826 08/10/20 10:52 AM
L
Loug Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
From a long time BG & Larian player with already way to many hours in BG3 ... here is my feedback

camera issue during cutscene
- camera may be in a wall or something
- some NPC may be display multiple time (during my cutscene with the Hag, both version (granny & Hag) were visible on screen at the same time

dialogue
During dialog, the skill score used will be those from whoever triggers the conversation. It would be far less frustrating if nearby characters could join the conversation and utilize their skill scores.

inventory
similar to DOS2 which is really tedious to deal with.
- Couldn't we get a shared inventory with a weight limit depending of the curent party cumulated strength scores ?
- Also, since this game have soooo many trash loot, couldn't we have an option to "sell all junks" while at a vendor ? A filter to indicate what we consider "junk" would be nice.
Something similar as what is done in Pathfinder Kingmaker would be great.

difference with DnD
- I understand that section of the PHB had to be rework, like the whole ranger class or that some spells / skills needed minor improvements (true strike, etc.)
- However, the changes to add surface effects to many spells are infuriating. There are already tons of topics covering this (killing ennemies on a NAT1, destroying webs, or just planning annoying).
--- this is also true for the enemies (like the goblins waiting for you at the entrance of the Blighted village - you will have the pleasure to start the combat in a sea of fire). It doesn't make the combat more fun of challenging, it's just annoying.
--- the opposite is also true. Should we really be able to turn Grease into a flaming surface ? According to sage advice, it shouldn't : https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/24/is-the-grease-from-the-grease-spell-flammable/.
--- D&D already have spells for surface manipulation (sleet storm, etc). Not sure we need more.
- Bonus action to jump / disengage. Should be an action. It feels way to cheesy / OP / easy as it is. Basically my cleric turns can be sum up as : jump/disengage + Guiding bolt. It works, it is effective. However it's not fun and does not require any tactical thinking.
- Rogue & sneak attack
--- display in a weird way: at level 4 sneak attack is calculated as "(1d6 Piercing) * ((4(level)-1)/2+1)". "2d6 Piercing" would be more comprehensive.
--- Sneak attack does not always "trigger" even when the condition are met (the "another enemy of the target is within 1.5m of it and you don't have disadvantage" part).
--- You should be able to sneak attack with a bonus action (off hand weapon) - with a limit of 1 sneak attack per turn. Could prove useful if you miss your "main" attack.
- Wizard can learn non wizard spells (from scroll). My Gale loves his Guiding Bolt. Not sure this is intended ?
- Shouldn't we have some kind of limitation regarding long rest ? As it is we can get our spell slots back after each encounter. When higher difficulties get implemented, we could use a rule saying that you can perform a long rest every X encounter.
- No cover mechanism ?
- missing dodge action ?
- no grappling / etc ?

UI
- The hit chance % is not really clear. It would be really helpful to know how it is calculated, what's causing advantage / disadvantage, etc.
- Similarly, it would be useful to have some king of tooltip on most of the numbers (within Characters panel / Inventory / Equipements tabs). Not everyone may know that (for example), Lae'Zel +7 melee attack come from +4 str modifier +2 proficiency + 1 weapon enchantement.
- Could be useful to know where are the numbers in the logs coming from. From example I had "Attack Roll: 9(1d20) +2 +2 (proficiency) +4 (Strength Modifier) = 17." It should indicate that one of the +2 being a bonus from the bless spell (rolled 2 on a d4).
- If you remove a reaction from the "reaction" panel / ui you can't get it back unless you quicksave / quickload.
- I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I don't understand how the UI is working but I did not see "warding flare" (reaction) triggering once.

Checks
- Failed perception checks shouldn't be display
- I don't really like that the DC of a skill check depend on our skill score. I'd rather have the other way around (fix DC vs 1d20 + modifier rather than DC - modifier vs 1d20). Would provide a better sense of progression.
- Maybe implemented a perception check to detect enemies that are nearby but not in our line of sight ?
- When walking around, the perception check to detect trap will trigger / success after said trap was triggered...

Pathing
- Selected character / teammates committing suicide by walking into dangerous surface (fire, etc.).

Missing spells / feats / etc.
- I know this is the beginning of EA but I noticed that some classes are missing core spells / features: For example, I hope we will see the "spiritual weapon" spell for cleric. It's one of their core spell and one of their best use for bonus action.
- Same comment with feats, hopefully they will be implemented later (looking at you War Caster).
- Since feat are (partially) in game : Could we get the Variant Human ? Please.

BG3 vs DOS3.
This is subjective but there is a lot of things that make this game feels like DOS3 rather than a Baldur's Gate game.
- too many surface manipulation (and freaking fire everywhere)
- trash loot everywhere (having random chest in the middle of nowhere or finding 3 golds and an apple under every rock) killing the immersion (for me at least).
- loot being placed weirdly. For example, I'm guessing we should find scroll on enemy spell casters or locked in a chest inside a Mage mansion... not randomly everywhere.
- Vendor system (barter)
- Messy inventory management
I'm not saying it's all bad, but that's definitely not what I was hoping for.

Last edited by Loug; 08/10/20 11:17 AM.
I was searching if someone mentioned quicksave/quickload and only found this thread.
Already by DOS2, especially in the 2nd half of the game it takes ages to quickload.
Now in BG1 it also takes very long to quickload. Even if my buddy has SSD it takes him up to one minute.
Could this be improved somehow please?

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
journeyman
journeyman
+1 +1

There is not a single point that I disagree with I think.

I would just like to add that I would also like to see randomness of the loot implemented
Every playthrough at least so far has had seeded loot.
This is just from a replayability standpoint, I don't want to know what I'm going to get from chests/vendors and such.

Link Copied to Clipboard