Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yezam Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
How do you combine these 2?

Enviroment effects ok if poison won't explode a room, and it is more like panicing on catching fire it is reasonable, and the game master would allow it....

The lack of basic things like feats, skillpoints, made up with a simplified DOS character build system, only justified by the turned based tactical fights? I don't know about that... thats's a big issue for me, because the customisation of a character is as complex, as the world DnD is set in. See DnD relies on dice 20 rolls you will need evasion, deathward, freedom of movement, skillpoints for skillchecks like use magic devices for wands scrolls, tons of feats and such. It's basic features... you build for the campaign, but here you build for tactics.

Therefore ofc the progression of the game will be XP and loot hungry, for any inbuilt difficulty spike. It's fine to explore a world, but in on the other side you do so as for stories and lore, wich the setting is built into. Not for xp and loot. It's usually more emotionaly inspired, than for ur brains to survive the next encounter.

I wish i could say, this game doesn't completely confuse me. I really do not feel home in here, as for it beeing a Baldurs Gate. Espacially for beeing a Baldurs Gate 2 sequel.

I guess time will tell, tho i think these 2 worlds are quite difficult to merge, the DOS and the DnD.

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 05:18 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
This game uses 5th edition of d&d. As far as i know there are no bonus feats and skill points anymore. Your choose what your character is proficient at and a stat called proficiency rises from 1 to 6 during the 20 levels and this is added to saving throws/attack rolls/skill checks. Also you don't have a 'ton' of feats because you can get every 4th level 2 ability points OR a feat.

Yezam Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Oh i see so i am not up to date... well maybe it will work then, guess they made some harsh changes to a lot of things. Is it still a DnD, mainstream ppl like myself know about?
Tbh it took me a while to get into DnD rules without reading books. But with a change in DnD ruleset it might makes it easier, to adapt to new video game based mechanics.

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 06:16 PM.
Yezam Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I am not up to date with the new DnD, they made some basic changes. Maybe it will work, maybe now there is a change in place, video games can adapt to. (As it is for now i guess everyone playing DnD video games is noob right now, if he does not play Pen & Paper so i will just shut my mouth).

Last edited by Yezam; 08/10/20 06:23 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Yezam

I guess time will tell, tho i think these 2 worlds are quite difficult to merge, the DOS and the DnD.

If you look over the different posts in this forum, you'll see most complains being exactly what you said : people find the combination between DOS and D&D not working well and ultimately the negatives it brings outweight the positives.

In my opinion, Larian should focus on either a strong DOS based system, or a strong D&D system. But you can't have tons of surfaces/combos/spell scrolls for all classes to use and call it D&D based. That's close to marketing bs.

Yezam Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I see... that's what I thought too.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Temperance
Originally Posted by Yezam

If you look over the different posts in this forum, you'll see most complains being exactly what you said : people find the combination between DOS and D&D not working well and ultimately the negatives it brings outweight the positives.

In my opinion, Larian should focus on either a strong DOS based system, or a strong D&D system. But you can't have tons of surfaces/combos/spell scrolls for all classes to use and call it D&D based. That's close to marketing bs.

Combine that with a rather edgy, Michael Bay'esque take on the Forgotten Realms, and I can't really disagree there... but that's what an EA is for, right?

Link Copied to Clipboard