Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#684485 09/10/20 07:26 PM
OP Offline
So can anyone explain (RPwise) how Astarion learned everything my PC said (since he basically disapproves on EVERYTHING she says or does) while parked in the camp?

Ok I get it that Dragon Age system wasn't perfect either letting one be besties with everyone by carefully taking them on walks.

But still dis/approvals based on dialog choices probably shouldn't work long distance, while those based on actions could (yeah I know that's just too complicated to implement but still...)

I completely agree with this. I've seen disapproval pop up from other companions during what should have been very private conversations and it was very immersion breaking. Like, hello? Shadowheart? Are you over in the bushes just... watching?

apprentice
apprentice
Worm in your head told the worm in his head.... Damned snitch xD
But seriously yea, I agree about that .

journeyman
journeyman
honestly... I kinda like it as it means I can gain approval points with a companion even if they're completely uncomplimentry to me

enthusiast
enthusiast
Absolutely yes.
Only ppl who can hear dialog should be able to react positively or negatively to it.
Anyone who is not in immediate vicinity should not be aware of it at all, and thus not reacting to it.

...with exception where information is absolutely guaranty will reach that character sooner or later. As if something character focused at (his personal quest).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
honestly... I kinda like it as it means I can gain approval points with a companion even if they're completely uncomplimentry to me

Would you equally like their disapproval?

stranger
stranger
+1 with that one

And as I said in my post, I think the camp need a good overall, right know it's kina empty/useless compared to bases from other games (DAO, ME, POE, ...)

Also, I get the worm argument but even with the worm the player doesn't hear others' thoughts at all times. The player has to specifically focus and try. I doubt the other characters are investing all their mental energy into being in the player's head at all times when they have their own stuff they're dealing with.

apprentice
apprentice
Agree.
If I plan to do something that certain characters don't want to take part in, I try to pick a team that has no issues with it - UNLESS I want the drama.

Right now, it just doesn't matter, which is a bit of a shame. An option to gain approval or disapproval could be a seperate conversation with characters in the camp. Would be nice, to also have some means for the MC to justify their actions.

Maybe add a skill check based on the character you deal with or the action.

So, Astarion may not like my MC helping people, but giving the MC a chance to explain that this could help in the future (contacts, information, resources or whatever) we could change that frown upside down?

Last edited by Sayen; 10/10/20 02:56 AM. Reason: Typo
I really like this idea. Likewise, if you didn't get the approval bonus/penalty until discussing it at camp with members not in your party. Like your companion approaches you and says something like 'Hey, I heard you handled this situation this way. Wtf man." Then you explain your position which can maybe net less disapproval, more disapproval, or maybe even approval if you pass a persuasion check. It would feel like a far more realistic way of disagreeing with someone while still being able to earn their friendship. (Hey, we've all had friends who we don't agree with all the time, right? But honest, open debate can still foster healthy respect. Unless you murdered an entire orphanage. No real talking your way out of that.)

apprentice
apprentice
Exactly!

I do think that various skills/abilities should be used though, to allow characters that aren't great in persuasion get the same chance. Would otherwise be a bit unfair for players who play different classes or excel at other skills?

Link Copied to Clipboard