Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Yawning Spider
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Seems like every character in the game is *special* somehow. Your companions are all special outliers and exceptions to the rules for what one could expect given race, class, background, and especially starting level. Ditto for all your followers. Ditto for monsters, whether intellect devourers or goblins. The ONLY character in the whole game that is NOT special in any way, and often is mundane and boring, is yourself (as a custom PC).

Yeah there definitely should have been a more careful discussion at Larian about whether their Character Origin idea was an appropriate fit for a series whose players often spent as long in the character creator rolling stats as they did playing game. I don't think it is, but at this point in the development, I doubt they're willing to drop it. Spending so much time on that was probably a mistake though, as it undoubtedly consumed resources that could've been used on more choices and consequences relevant to any given Custom PC.

That said, I've thought a lot about this. And in BG 1&2, most of the companions had something strange going for them. You have a petrified cleric from a time long past, a Witch and her Barbarian bodyguard from a strange, alien culture (not to mention the Giant Miniature Space Hamster), a member of what is essentially Faerun's CIA, a Winged Elf whose race is almost entirely extinct, the descendant of a dimension-hopping Archwizard, etc. There's no shortage of that almost juvenile brand of special you're talking about in BG 1&2... I think the difference you're sussing out is that in BG 1&2, nobody is as pressed for time or resources as you are off the start.

That is to say, either NPCs are recruited for the purpose of completing a quest, or they don't get in your face about their personal quest until something triggers it. It's completely different from having these NPCs sign up, and then one night of camping in they start telling you that you'd better hurry up because there's a bomb in their chest that's going to explode, or you better get moving because they have something way more important to do than talk to you going on in Baldur's Gate, etc. BG3 seems particularly aggressive about reminding you that you aren't all that important to these people, which is a weird, uncomfortable emotion to try to evoke in a single-player RPG. Weird and uncomfortable emotions are fine... if they exist to express some larger theme, and are managed with great intention. And I don't think that's the case here, it seems like these characters were written to be the center of someone's attention for the sake of the Character Origin mechanic.

In divinity if you don't pick an origin PC you miss out on one quest chain and you PC felt kind of empty. The origin was kind of an alignment, as it gave you "in character" dialog options. It was not a problem in divinity as there are no classes and every companion could be played as every class.

In a BG game the PC should be what ever character I like without missing out on content. Not just one of the companions. He should feel special like your character is for you in a P&P game and not like he is for the DM. Right now I feel not much difference between the pc and the companions...

As for the companions, that everyone has the same problem (imminent death) feels too forced for a D&D campaign. In my D&D group my players would be calling me lazy for such a group setting XD

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by KingWilhelm
In divinity if you don't pick an origin PC you miss out on one quest chain and you PC felt kind of empty. The origin was kind of an alignment, as it gave you "in character" dialog options. It was not a problem in divinity as there are no classes and every companion could be played as every class.

In a BG game the PC should be what ever character I like without missing out on content. Not just one of the companions. He should feel special like your character is for you in a P&P game and not like he is for the DM. Right now I feel not much difference between the pc and the companions...

As for the companions, that everyone has the same problem (imminent death) feels too forced for a D&D campaign. In my D&D group my players would be calling me lazy for such a group setting XD

...and they would be right. wink Seriously, though, I think that's another big difference petween how old school CRPG and tabletop players perceive RPGs... we are used to makeing our own characters, we don't need set character paths, that's for NPCs...

...crap, did this whole discussion just get political? laugh

Just kidding... carry on, I made my point.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

...and they would be right. wink Seriously, though, I think that's another big difference petween how old school CRPG and tabletop players perceive RPGs... we are used to makeing our own characters, we don't need set character paths, that's for NPCs...

...crap, did this whole discussion just get political? laugh

Just kidding... carry on, I made my point.

nope I'm out I don't do that p stuff.

And your right it's mostly the different of views by old school crpg players, and new ones. Also between die hard fanatics, and casual players. Though in defense about Origin stories some people don't have notebooks filled with characters, or as I say a massive vault filled with them. So there is an option for them to have a glimpse into what making a character feels like, if properly portrayed in game.

It's kinda like helping new players work on their characters, though in this case you don't ask them questions, or give them hints. You just grab there hand say here this is the one your playing.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Agree 100%

I play Baldurs Gate 3 because its D&D, not because Larian made it, and the area of effect and environ effects really just cheapen the experience for me. I would like to see this majorly toned down.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by HYPERBOLOCO
In regards to surface effects.

A) They shouldn't be an option for cantrips or arrows

B) They shouldn't occur in addition to direct hit damage from throwables or direct damage spells (your coating the enemy in a substance from a small bottle)

C) They shouldn't have guaranteed damage/debuffs or double up damage when trying to leave them (apply damage roll at turn end if inside zone maybe?)

D) They should only exist if 5e specifically states they do or at least limit them to spell critical hits (not cantrips)

E) They should have a more limited radius/quantity/duration (looking at you blood/fire)

F) They should not be nearly as widely available and accessibility/types/potencies/effects should be thematic to the creature in question (not every goblin is an alchemist)

P.S. bonus action jump/shove for everyone can screw off

100% agree.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by clavis

And your right it's mostly the different of views by old school crpg players, and new ones. Also between die hard fanatics, and casual players. Though in defense about Origin stories some people don't have notebooks filled with characters, or as I say a massive vault filled with them. So there is an option for them to have a glimpse into what making a character feels like, if properly portrayed in game.

It's kinda like helping new players work on their characters, though in this case you don't ask them questions, or give them hints. You just grab there hand say here this is the one your playing.

I don't have a problem with this. But it could be done better in my opinion:

1.Start with an origin story like in DA:O (not even as long) for each companion and one for self made characters (something more generic like BG I: for example a orphanage).
2. Give him something special... being a spawn of a god had a nice touch laugh.. and involve him in a special way in the main plot

(you could even skip 1. and let the start be as it is but add some specials for the pc e.g. let him choose a origin story - with quests and all - that no companion has and has a bigger impact on the main story as a normal origin companions)

now you add non origin companion for a more natural party development in later parts of the story and I would argue it feels more like BG

Last edited by KingWilhelm; 12/10/20 09:04 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

1.Start with an origin story like in DA:O (not even as long) for each companion and one for self made characters (something more generic like BG I: for example a orphanage).
2. Give him something special... being a spawn of a god had a nice touch laugh.. and involve him in a special way in the main plot

(you could even skip 1. and let the start be as it is but add some specials for the pc e.g. let him choose a origin story - with quests and all - that no companion has)

now you add non origin companion for a more natural party development in later parts of the story and I would argue it feels more like BG

Yup, that sounds like the right idea there... and since we got that whole "who do you dream about" stuff already in the game, maybe that is something that will actually come for custom characters. Maybe that someone is a personal from the prologue! A tragic death, followed by haunting memories throughout the story, maybe? Would explain the greek/roman outfit that character has, maybe visions from Elysium or something? I actually didn't consider that before...

Last edited by WarBaby2; 12/10/20 09:08 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ReaLMoisan
Originally Posted by HYPERBOLOCO
In regards to surface effects.

A) They shouldn't be an option for cantrips or arrows

B) They shouldn't occur in addition to direct hit damage from throwables or direct damage spells (your coating the enemy in a substance from a small bottle)

C) They shouldn't have guaranteed damage/debuffs or double up damage when trying to leave them (apply damage roll at turn end if inside zone maybe?)

D) They should only exist if 5e specifically states they do or at least limit them to spell critical hits (not cantrips)

E) They should have a more limited radius/quantity/duration (looking at you blood/fire)

F) They should not be nearly as widely available and accessibility/types/potencies/effects should be thematic to the creature in question (not every goblin is an alchemist)

P.S. bonus action jump/shove for everyone can screw off

100% agree.

A = Arrows no the shouldn't be, sense the coating is on the arrow itself. Cantrips open to debate, after all most cantrips with option to have secondary effect have a reduced damage die then what is written in 5e handbook. So they may be factoring in surface effect.

B = did you take into consideration the splash damage that is in the book? That splash damage can be concieved as having an effect on the surface as well. Again whats good for pnp isn't good and logistics of tracking all this on pnp is a major undertaking. Yet again damage of throwables may been reduced to take into consideration for the secondary damage. (I personally don't use throwables very often. not playing an alchemist/artificer)

C = your moving through the zone, which in 5e would have you make a reflex check for each 5 ft. of movement. Easily avoided by jumping (hate to say that not a fan of jump/disengage) out of, or over the area.

D = again whats good/easier for pnp doesn't make it good for games. the reduceing of damage die on spells with secondary effects shows some thought has been put into this by Larian.

E = agree some surfaces should not be able to catch on fire water, blood, should not burn like oil/grease. Still effects of burned areas are usually 2 rounds 12 seconds if using standard D&D rounds. That if your standing it in means 2 ticks. With no (needs experimentation) way of putting out the fire then it results in up to 4 ticks of damage. Maybe the drinkable water jugs can put out fires and such, think they are action? (again need to experiment)

F = agree 100%

enthusiast
enthusiast

(you could even skip 1. and let the start be as it is but add some specials for the pc e.g. let him choose a origin story - with quests and all - that no companion has)

Yup, that sounds like the right idea there... and since we got that whole "who do you dream about" stuff already in the game, maybe that is something that will actually come for custom characters. Maybe that someone is a personal from the prologue! A tragic death, followed by haunting memories throughout the story, maybe? Would explain the greek/roman outfit that character has, maybe visions from Elysium or something? I actually didn't consider that before...

I'll agree an origin story for custom characters would be lovely, hard no to CHOSEN One though, keep it simple. Not though for ones like Wyll, Shadowheart, Ast, Gale, and La (uggg remembering there names is so hard. Can't I just call them what I do in game. Mr. Overcompensating, Fickle Bitch, Annoying Emo, Needs stabbed repeatedly, Bitchy Wench) I feel it would be more hurtful to add their origin story to a proluge then the current way of slowly opening them up to your character.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll agree an origin story for custom characters would be lovely, hard no to CHOSEN One though, keep it simple. Not though for ones like Wyll, Shadowheart, Ast, Gale, and La (uggg remembering there names is so hard. Can't I just call them what I do in game. Mr. Overcompensating, Fickle Bitch, Annoying Emo, Needs stabbed repeatedly, Bitchy Wench) I feel it would be more hurtful to add their origin story to a proluge then the current way of slowly opening them up to your character.

I dunno, I think it would quite nice to see, say Asterion's exploits through the dak streets and bustling taverns of Baldur's Gate for a few hours before jumping into the main story...

enthusiast
enthusiast

I dunno, I think it would quite nice to see, say Asterion's exploits through the dak streets and bustling taverns of Baldur's Gate for a few hours before jumping into the main story...

It could also give away potential spoilers, like who his master is. things that can be kept for shock value in the game. You know the moments, also if you did that you'd be a higher level? Causing a rebalance in the fights....? ugg making me think, I now officially hate you, and I don't even know you!! lol.

Hmmm, would help some people who are currently struggling in game if they started at a slightly higher level. After all 90% (not accurate) of 1st level characters die within before reaching a higher level. slightly lower chance at level 2, etc until level 4 or 5 which most players aren't taking into consideration. (my opinion)

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by TheWhiteRabbit
I keep seeing people wanting it more this way or that, and this is just another example.

I think where it sits, right in the middle, is the correct course of action. Sure things can be improved, but I think pushing it more in either direction is gonna alienate too many people.
And just to be clear, IF! they HAD! to push it, the correct decision, the business decision, would be to push it toward Divinity, NOT toward a more D&D oriented game. DOS2 sold far far more copies than any recent D&D games.
So those of you fighting for more this direction or that (seems to be more complaining to push it further toward D&D TBH) just know that if they Did decide to do this, toward DOS2 is absolutely the direction they'd take.

First of all, the alpha numbers are already insane. Giving us a hint that the BG franchise name, combined with marketing towards "true to 5E experience", is strong. Many of the sales are probably due to Larians name, but considering that DnD has tens of millions more active players than any DoS title ever had, you can be sure those people are part of the reason.

I don't even see how fans of just DoS can feel alienated. This isn't DoS. You should not expect it to be. Larian wanted to make a D&D game from the most famous D&D game franchise. They should be expected to carry the torch for BG, not DoS this time. If CD Projekt Red released DoS3 and made it a third person action game, the DoS fans would be justified in complaining. You can't give a company a pass just because they did well in another franchise. Not when they choose to market the product as something specific. I am not sure how much good will from the DnD fanbase is worth, and speculating is useless.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It could also give away potential spoilers, like who his master is. things that can be kept for shock value in the game. You know the moments, also if you did that you'd be a higher level? Causing a rebalance in the fights....? ugg making me think, I now officially hate you, and I don't even know you!! lol.

Hmmm, would help some people who are currently struggling in game if they started at a slightly higher level. After all 90% (not accurate) of 1st level characters die within before reaching a higher level. slightly lower chance at level 2, etc until level 4 or 5 which most players aren't taking into consideration. (my opinion)

Hate, love, who gives a toss, as long as you read what i write. laugh

Obviously, that would mean to raise the starting level of everything by 2-3 levels... I doubt it would be bad for the believability of the main rnarrative, though. wink

enthusiast
enthusiast

Hate, love, who gives a toss, as long as you read what i write. laugh

Obviously, that would mean to raise the starting level of everything by 2-3 levels... I doubt it would be bad for the believability of the main rnarrative, though. wink

Valid point I personally dislike the whole hate, love blah blah blah, emotions just get in the way. wink

I don't really have a hard time believing the main narrative atm. It makes sense to me. Some of your points have been valid others not so much. Illithid mainly staying in Underdark is one, meeting Volo (has happened in at least one official campaign released by WoTC) at level one is another one I disagree with. There are some others that I didn't reply to, because of food. then I got lost in fighting a Hag with the Fickle one crying behind my back. Really need to gag her at times.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Valid point I personally dislike the whole hate, love blah blah blah, emotions just get in the way. wink

I don't really have a hard time believing the main narrative atm. It makes sense to me. Some of your points have been valid others not so much. Illithid mainly staying in Underdark is one, meeting Volo (has happened in at least one official campaign released by WoTC) at level one is another one I disagree with. There are some others that I didn't reply to, because of food. then I got lost in fighting a Hag with the Fickle one crying behind my back. Really need to gag her at times.

That's a healthy outlook on life... wink

Anywho. Well, yea, I wouldn't write stuff like that for a first level party... but Larian choose to do so. They are the DM around here, so to speak, so all I'm left with is b*tch about it. wink

enthusiast
enthusiast

That's a healthy outlook on life... wink

Anywho. Well, yea, I wouldn't write stuff like that for a first level party... but Larian choose to do so. They are the DM around here, so to speak, so all I'm left with is b*tch about it. wink

They did though make sure that a level 1 character could go through it, can you imagine if they hadn't. You'd die on first meeting of an intellect devourer, do to their ability to nom your intellect. So if done correctly it only enhances the narrative and the intensity. Which imo they did, you didn't have to fight an illithid 1 on 1.. (unless you goofed at some part), or take on a cambion (again unless you goofed.) Okay yes I was experimenting and shit. I mean I HAD to see if there was a bug in everything, plus bad rolls... ugg bane of a D&D'ers existance.

(you could even skip 1. and let the start be as it is but add some specials for the pc e.g. let him choose a origin story - with quests and all - that no companion has and has a bigger impact on the main story as a normal origin companions)

+1 to origin story for a custom protagonist, or at least something that indicates it.

Technically Candlekeep in the beginning was CHARNAME's origin story, so it would fit well imo.

I don't even want origin stories for companions. In DAO it worked because those stories were backgrounds, all they defined were if you chose a human you would be a noble, or if you were an elf you could be from a city or living with nomadic tribes, if you were a mage you were locked in the tower regardless of your race and gender. You were not limited to gender, appearance, and in some cases class (i.e. you could be a male rogue human noble or a female warrior) and those characters were pretty much blank slates. Origin characters are already way too defined.

Last edited by Arideya; 12/10/20 10:55 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard