Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
When you select the Dash action for your character you are obliged to confirm the selection by clicking on the selected character.

Why?

It is not as though you can Dash for someone else. My fighter selecting Dash is not going make the magic-user faster. The way it works at present is annoying.

veteran
veteran
To prevent a misclick?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
I agree, but I use dash so little in my playthroughs that I don't have to deal with the double click annoyance all that much.

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Tuco
To prevent a misclick?

Possibly, but you can always cancel the choice in the same way as for the other bonus actions. If they want to warn the player that they have selected Dash then maybe the 'extra' move line selection should be in a different colour or dotted or something. At present it is just mildly irritating and annoys me every time I need to double-select it.

Makes the game feel clunky and unresponsive to need to hit this twice to activate.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian really, really needs to go check out most any other modern Turn Based cRPG and see how they handle movement. PKM has a fantastic mechanic for dashing that never once felt clunky.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I do see one issue why they might have not implemented Dash in a sane way like games like Xcom do it:

Rogues can Dash as bonus action.

Essentially, if you were to just point and run the distance of a Dash - which action gets used? Is it a Bonus Action or an Action?

And then if you need to make that distinction for rogues, having all the other classes handle dash in a different way is counterintuitive.

But I do hope Larian figures out a cleaner solution than what they have.

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm all for having the click once on the Dash action icon to activate the Dash (or the special Rogue icon for theirs), what I object to is then having to click on the character to confirm.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sadurian
When you select the Dash action for your character you are obliged to confirm the selection by clicking on the selected character.

Why?

It is not as though you can Dash for someone else. My fighter selecting Dash is not going make the magic-user faster. The way it works at present is annoying.

Because if you accidentally click it and waste an action youre going to be annoyed. You can click anywhere, it doesnt have to be on you.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
Larian really, really needs to go check out most any other modern Turn Based cRPG and see how they handle movement. PKM has a fantastic mechanic for dashing that never once felt clunky.

It's not that "fantastic", really. Serviceable, I'd say. And based on a different rule as well.
In PF:KM dashing ("charge") is a default action of any melee, it doesn't prevent you from attacking but it must be in a straight line from your starting point and done before deciding any other move.
Here's is just extra movement made sacrificing your action (unless you are a rougue).

Overall, in terms of mere presentation, I'd say that with all its rough edges that needs to be worked on, BG3 is already leagues ahead of Kingmaker when it comes to art, effects and animations.
And I liked KM a LOT (after the turn-based mod became a thing, at least).

Last edited by Tuco; 16/10/20 07:49 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Orbax
Because if you accidentally click it and waste an action youre going to be annoyed. You can click anywhere, it doesnt have to be on you.

Originally Posted by Sadurian
Possibly, but you can always cancel the choice in the same way as for the other bonus actions. If they want to warn the player that they have selected Dash then maybe the 'extra' move line selection should be in a different colour or dotted or something. At present it is just mildly irritating and annoys me every time I need to double-select it.

Link Copied to Clipboard