Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#717577 26/10/20 03:02 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Here are some suggestions/feedback I have on numerous topics. I've tried to group them and be brief but still get the point across. Hope you find it helpful. While this is a list of things to improve, I have really enjoyed this early access so far. Keep up the good work!

1. Inventory management is a bit of a hassle.
1a. We should be able to select multiple items at one time and then decide what to do with them (shift click then check "add to wares"). Management of all the stuff we can pick up requires too many clicks and hurts people with carpel tunnel, etc.
1b. We should also be able to sell all "wares" with a single click. (and junk items like bowls, spoons, etc should default to the wares tab already maybe?)
1c. Dragging an item onto a bag should not swap locations but should go into that bag. (bags should not reset to the top row while adding items)
1d. While in the Character Sheet, it would be nice to be able to drag an item onto the character model and have it equip to the correct slot.
1e. Crates should not randomly be search-able or non-search-able. They should be easily identifiable as something I can search, or just something I can pick up to throw.
1f. Food should maybe tell you it can heal if you eat it. That was never clear and my friend had to tell me that's how you heal.

2. Loot & Rewards
2a. Locked or difficult-to-access chests should have more than 15 gold in them. It's pretty dishearting to find someone bothered to lock a chest with 10 gold when that's the price of a handful of fruit.
2b. There seems to be a lot of great 2 handed weapons to play with, but few really good 1 handed and zero bows. With everyone having a melee/ranged weapon slot, would be nice to find a cool bow or crossbow.

3. Camera work
3a. Multiplayer cinematics - the camera angle should tether to the host active character. During the cinematic with the Gith and dragon I was staring into a rock the entire duration and it is not a short cinematic.
3b. Camera Angles and Height - with the verticality available, it's frustrating sometimes to try to rotate the camera or move between varying heights. This would be much smoother if we could more closely control the active level (height) the camera is tethering to through keyboard or mouse controls. It would also be useful to tilt the camera around. There is often things higher up that only get noticed if you play extremely zoomed out, but that looses the intimacy of the game experience. Being able to control your own view more and look around would be an incredible step to adding immersion.

4. Party Formations & movement
4a. We should be able to set party formations for how the group is oriented as it moves.
4b. It should be easier to chain/unchain/rearrange your party. Currently I have to do big dramatic gestures to unchain/rechain a character and sometimes it instead clicks on the "spell effects" icon of the portrait and then has my character moves unexpectedly.
4c. With the verticality, it's rather obnoxious to have to manually jump each character through things, especially when the others don't make room.
4c.1. We should be able to select the entire party and have them jump (independently, in a sequence, as a group, however) together or the party members should move away from the curser slightly when assigning the next jump.
4c.2. Since jump is so often used, it should be able to be assigned to a keyboard shortcut.
4c.3. Jumps should turn red if they are far enough to make a character take damage and go prone.
4c.4. There are WAY too many pits that auto-kill you when you jump into them (even with Feather Fall on) to not have better indications of what their outcomes are going to be since there is at least 1 pit that leads to the Underdark. Or maybe the dialogue around that Underdark pit is enough... I'm unsure. All I know is now I experiment with jumping in every pit and it's always death.

5. AI & Traps
5a. Once you start to do a perception test it would be helpful to either A) pause the game or B) cancel movement (prefer cancel movement, or at least let this be a toggle feature in settings for people to enable
5b. Once a trap is noticed, the AI should NOT path directly over it. I found while I get into position to try to disarm a trap, the group will rearrange and step on said trap.

6. Quests and the Quest Log
6a. The log should be collapse-able lists
6b. We should be able to use the scroll wheel to move down the list of available quests
6c. Completed quests should go into a new section at the bottom
6d. Several quests don't clear from the map, like Karlach the teethling, after completion. And having the Book of Power and Lost Shipment icons follow you is slightly annoying. Maybe if they are items on the player, they don't display on the mini-map?
6e. The Rescue people from a burning building quest doesn't seem to update even after I rescued 2 people and connected one with the spirit of his dead wife. It only updates after I camp for the day and says I wasn't able to save anyone, which is not accurate.
6f. I'm disappointed there aren't dialogue options to actually get my portrait done by the painter especially considering I was offered one by the owner. Could be a cool in-game cinematic and could further some evil brownie points. I even brought him several blank canvas.
6g. After delivering the supplies to the Zhentarim leader, the trader Brem should have an updated inventory. Instead he says he can't show me the good stuff until we are on their good side, even though the leader expressly says we are on their good side.
6h. Talking to Zhentarim leader, I was given a dialogue option to "give her the flask i found inside the chest" but I was never able to get the chest open.
6i. During the fight at the back of the Zhentarim cave, the camera would constantly pan to just inside the cave wall each time it was Istor the wolf's turn (to the illusionary wall).
6j. I don't understand how the gith dragon rider jumps to the conclusion that just because we were on the ship means we have the odd shaped weapon they are after and it makes no sense for him to fly off. Also Lae'Zel should be more upset to find out her "purification" option is just regular old death. I think that dialogue could be given more depth.

7. Misc thoughts/improvements
7a. The camp doesn't make any sense. It's a random location that we can't even get to naturally. I think it would be better story-telling and immersion if we started with a "find a place to camp" quest and had to find that location. Maybe move the vampire to that location and meet him there. Camping in place would make the most sense, but I'm sure that's hard to do the various in-game cinematics for.
7b. I really want more than 4 characters in my party. Other games may have spoiled me for this, but I do miss the versatility and options. Hopefully the 4 is just an Early Access thing.
7c. A common complaint of the story is that if the tadpole is just going to exit our body upon death, and we have resurrections scrolls and a talkative skeleton to raise us, why not just commit suicide and let it solve itself that way? I think this could be addressed in the story by a cinematic upon the first time you die and/or more information from Lae'zel. Perhaps the tadpole can sense our intentions to be resurrected (or the intentions of our companions to resurrect us) and will therefore stay within. I'm not sure how, but I feel it does need to be addressed.
7d. What does and doesn't show up when ALT is pressed is a little annoying. I'm not sure if I like that I can't see everything I can interact with or not, but I feel plants should definitely be on the highlight list. Why do sacks hightlight but crates don't?

addict
addict
A rather good list ! A agree that every point would be a nice improvement, and some are really needed.

nb : the painting idea might be in game later. This is a rather early build. I think the Zhentarim hideout dialogues are incomplete / work-in-progress : a lot was done still, but I believe it is just the basic components set in place.

Last edited by Baraz; 26/10/20 03:10 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
thanks for reading! Yea the Zhentarim seems incomplete but they did say all of Act 1 was going to be in the EA build. I know it will get fleshed out more but I kind of figured it was a bug rather than they just hadn't gotten to it yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard