Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Im not quite sure if that is conciderable as bug or simply oversight, but even if we are in combat, and therefore turn-based mode, statues are attacking on us either in real time, or much more often than once per round ...
My druid get in sight of one of statues when fighting those Goblins, in my turn i was damaged, when first goblin moved i was turned out of form, when second goblin moved i was dead.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 04/03/21 09:54 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
M
stranger
stranger
M
Yup.
Those statues ignore turns and just burn everything in their range.
I pushed a goblin into range of two statues and they kept on pummeling until it was dead.

A Larian acct and a separate Larian Forum acct!!
Really!?!?!
Cmon!
Why?!?
S
addict
addict
S
I don’t even know why those statues were activated. They offer nothing to the narrative and only create more frustration to the player.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I would not mind them at all, of they were fighting properly. laugh

Originally Posted by Musta
Yup.
Those statues ignore turns and just burn everything in their range.

They ignore turns because they're in the trap category. All traps ignore turns and just fire off once or continuously outside of combat when you trigger them.

As for not adding anything useful, I would guess they're intended as an option for pulling or pushing the goblins into the firing range. Otherwise yeah, they're just annoying.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The first and smaller statue that you can see from the entrance can be destroyed by having a player continually firing at it out of its firing arc. This will allow you to get at the treasure chest and crates/barrels on the upper levels without getting pummeled by the larger statues deeper in the tunnel.

You can stealth past them. As long as you are in stealth mode they don't fire at you. However, strongly advise not being in their line of sight or range when you initiate combat or yeah, you get what you have been saying is annoying. I just simply always attack the goblins from high ground by pushing the one up top down to them and then unloading from the cliff for maximum hit chance. Then to get down to the druid (if you are trying to save him) you can get to him simply stealthing down to his unconscious body to heal him or loot him if he ended up dead. He is in the blind spot of the statues.

Last edited by Ghost King; 04/03/21 10:40 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
They ignore turns because they're in the trap category. All traps ignore turns and just fire off once or continuously outside of combat when you trigger them.
This sounds odd ...
How could they just "ignore turns" ? O_o
Even if you litteraly stands in the fire that is burning you, its burning you only in your turn since meanwhile time is stopped for you. O_o

Also if they were firing outside of combat, it would be acceptable ... especialy when real time is on.
But they are firing continuously IN COMBAT ... and that is kinda problematic, since you have no way to defend and your possibilities in such situation are either bang your head against the desk, or helpless look as your avatar is being reduced to pile of ashes. :-/

enthusiast
enthusiast
The Traps in the underground Passage fullfill a special purpose.
As in most Games, players are either having training missions or Tutorial missions or like in this case easy to enter areas where you can learn the mechanics of traps.

This is here to show you people how to encounter Trapped areas as in later parts of the game, traps will be encountered mroe often. Especially when more Dungeonlike areas will be part of the game in later Acts.
So dont be bothered about the functionality here. Its for the training purpose. Calling out loud: Keep an eye around the area before you carelessly enter it.

Traps should be deadly or else why even implement them, when they dont fullfill their intent of keeping creatures/people away.
And for us players especially. Use your grey matter at every turn of the road.

PS: in the savegame is a small description of difficulty setting. So i assume when game will be released, ther will be a Easy, Normal and some kind of harder difficulty setting possible.
With that difficulty setting Traps could be finetuned to not be deadly but making perc. Damage based on difficulty.

Last edited by TheHero; 05/03/21 11:26 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
That kinda seem like completely different subject. :-/

enthusiast
enthusiast
Turn based mode is not for us to avoid getting damaged. Turn based mode is to keep better track of all the things happening the same time. Alas, we humble humans only have a brain so fast and only two hands to hack the keyboard.
So dont think Turnbased is for making game easy as in "i have turnbased so nothing in the gameworld can harm me anymore. Because i want to exploit to avoid deadly things set up in the area to never make myself learn and master the game as it is intended", no offense meant.
Traps are Traps, wouldnt be named Traps if they dont catch you!

Last edited by TheHero; 05/03/21 04:41 PM.
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This sounds odd ...
How could they just "ignore turns" ? O_o
Even if you litteraly stands in the fire that is burning you, its burning you only in your turn since meanwhile time is stopped for you. O_o

Also if they were firing outside of combat, it would be acceptable ... especialy when real time is on.
But they are firing continuously IN COMBAT ... and that is kinda problematic, since you have no way to defend and your possibilities in such situation are either bang your head against the desk, or helpless look as your avatar is being reduced to pile of ashes. :-/

Agreed. "Ignoring turns" because they're traps doesn't make any sense. The whole suggestion is hardly worth responding to.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheHero
Turn based mode is not for us to avoid getting damaged.
I mean, I don't have internet right now so I can't 100% check, but I'm pretty sure when you trigger the traps in the underground ruins the game freezes and literally tells you that is one of the uses of turn-based mode...

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Turn based mode is to keep better track of all the things happening the same time.
That is the point ...
World around you is suppose to stop and act only in its turns ... so you can manage your moves.

If you are at end of your turn (especialy in COMBAT), and the world is keep working in real time ... you have litteraly no way to manage anything, since you are out of movement, out of actions ... and few moments later out of health. wink
Wich is certainly not corect, even for the most trappest traps that ever trapped. wink

So dont think Turnbased is for making game easy as in "i have turnbased so nothing in the gameworld can harm me anymore.
Because i want to exploit to avoid deadly things set up in the area to never make myself learn and master the game as it is intended", no offense meant.
None taken ... but i really would like to ask you to quote that sentence that give you the idea i want anything like it. O_o

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
That is the point ...
World around you is suppose to stop and act only in its turns ... so you can manage your moves.

If you are at end of your turn (especialy in COMBAT), and the world is keep working in real time ... you have litteraly no way to manage anything, since you are out of movement, out of actions ... and few moments later out of health. wink
Wich is certainly not corect, even for the most trappest traps that ever trapped. wink

There are many hazards in the game world that don't throw you into turn-based mode so you can deal with it. Walk across an area burning with fire, or walk across a pool of acid, and you're going to take damage. Time doesn't stop.

If you trigger the gas and fire trap in the Dank Crypt sarcophagus area, the flaming bolts will continue to fire until you press the right button or get the hell out of the trap area. You don't go into turn-based mode. So the Guardian trap isn't even the only one in Act 1 that works this way.

Just think of traps as an environmental hazard like surface effects. It's not an "enemy," so it doesn't automatically throw you into turn-based combat mode.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I think the circlet that the gnome is carrying is supposed to protect you from them, as the description on it says something like being the key or something like that BUT wearing it didn't protect me from them, so it might just be something that's broken.

JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
If you trigger the gas and fire trap in the Dank Crypt sarcophagus area, the flaming bolts will continue to fire until you press the right button or get the hell out of the trap area. You don't go into turn-based mode. So the Guardian trap isn't even the only one in Act 1 that works this way.

Just think of traps as an environmental hazard like surface effects. It's not an "enemy," so it doesn't automatically throw you into turn-based combat mode.
I believe it does go into turn base mode now. As it should.

The point is that something shouldn't act outside of turns *while* the player is in turn based mode. The player, in that instance, is out of actions while something else has an infinite amount of actions in said turn.

It's clearly a mistake/oversight that has to do with early access.

JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
My problem with the Guardian Statues, by the way:

They have too many hit points.

65 is hit points is enough to be annoying. It takes an unnecessarily long time to shoot them down. If they had 30 hit points, they'd accomplish the same goal without the wasted time.

Also, when they explode, the broken rocks are too much. They get in the way of what can be seen, covering up bodies and such. But it's like the rocks aren't actually there. You can walk right through them, and if you save and then reload, the rocks disappear. So, the tumbling rocks cause no damage and don't hamper movement. It literally only serves to block the player's ability to see what's on the screen.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you trigger the gas and fire trap in the Dank Crypt sarcophagus area, the flaming bolts will continue to fire until you press the right button or get the hell out of the trap area. You don't go into turn-based mode.
Um, yes you do...

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
There are many hazards in the game world that don't throw you into turn-based mode so you can deal with it. Walk across an area burning with fire, or walk across a pool of acid, and you're going to take damage. Time doesn't stop.

Do you even read what i wrote? O_o
Bcs it seem like we are keeping two separate monologues. :-/

See difference:
I say:
Expectation: You stop the world > you step to trap > trap attack > your turn
Reality: You stop the world > you step to trap > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > trap attack > you died > your turn (if you would be alive)
You say: You step to trap > world dont stops automaticly

I say: Statues in secret passage to Druid Groove ...
You say: Burning area, pool of acid, trap in Crypt with sarcophagus, ...

I mean where is there litteraly any conection? O_o

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard