Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
It still won't fix the problem. The fact that you can talk to any NPC in the game with every character in your party but the game will treat everyone exactly the same.
That's just a case of unrealistic expectations, frankly.
The game already accounts for an insane amount of permutations. Expecting entirely unique dialogues for any possible character would be insanity. They'll have to wrap it up at some point.

The issue highlighted in this thread is a different one, in any case, and that's the game not DEFAULTING to your created character as the protagonist when a dialogue is started automatically.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
It still won't fix the problem. The fact that you can talk to any NPC in the game with every character in your party but the game will treat everyone exactly the same.
That's just a case of unrealistic expectations, frankly.
The game already accounts for an insane amount of permutations. Expecting entirely unique dialogues for any possible character would be insanity. They'll have to wrap it up at some point.

The issue highlighted in this thread is a different one, in any case, and that's the game not DEFAULTING to your created character as the protagonist when a dialogue is started automatically.
I never expected the game to do it. I just pointed it out as a problem. And the reason no other games of this kind do it is exactly what you said. I think the solution to the problem the op raised (defaulting to the MC) should be the same in the case I mentioned though.

Last edited by Abits; 18/08/21 05:28 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Once Larian implement some option to switch curent talker ...
Personaly i would not care about who started the conversation either. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Veilburner
Sometimes I think it's whoever is closer to the person. Just experienced this with that tiefling by the telescope. Finished the fight with the bugbear and she started talking to Gale. So I reloaded and made sure I was closer. Moved everyone else.

It is whichever character is selected at the end of combat.

Unfortunately, no. Several of the dialogs are one-offs and cause approval/disapproval from other characters. If the MC isn't the one in the dialog, they do not get the option to cause the approval/disapproval. This bug has real effects on relationship mechanics.

It should be the question is is it possible within the limits of a video game rpg

I can see where it would screw up dialog trees if you had the option to switch during dialog and one character had already had the conversation while the other had not. The only controllable option would be a quick choice at the beginning of forced dialog to choose your spokesperson.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RBarbare

Unfortunately, no. Several of the dialogs are one-offs and cause approval/disapproval from other characters. If the MC isn't the one in the dialog, they do not get the option to cause the approval/disapproval. This bug has real effects on relationship mechanics.
Does each (Origin) companion have approval for other companions? That'd be an interesting mechanic, and more in line with Larian wanting all companions to be ~main characters.

I.e., if you respond as Tav, then origin companions' approval of Tav changes. But if you respond as Lae'zel/etc, then every origin companion's approval of Lae'zel changes. To make it work better in multiplayer, I suppose only characters who aren't currently being directly controlled by a player would have their approval change...

Related question: am I remembering correctly that currently, if I have two custom characters and 2 Origin NPCs, each Origin NPC has a separate approval for each custom character? It's been a while since I played multiplayer...but if so, then this means that the mechanic for character-specific approval is already in the game.

addict
addict
+1

T
stranger
stranger
T
+1

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Does each (Origin) companion have approval for other companions? That'd be an interesting mechanic, and more in line with Larian wanting all companions to be ~main characters.

Signs point to yes, but the mechanics are partially hidden and not fully implemented. In one of the earlier releases, you could see popup disposition changes as characters did things and sometimes they would be over one character's head when one of the other characters did an action. For example, Wyll's imp summoning used to cause disposition loss in characters who could see it, including the other companions.

I would agree that it would be interesting to have the full round-robbin of relationship possibilities, but please don't give Larian ideas that will delay the release indefinitely! wink

Last edited by RBarbare; 15/09/21 08:04 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard