Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
Better suggestion.
<sarcasm>start
How about making ALL loot once you enter an area to auto transfer to your inventory.
We should also just get auto event waypoints everywhere. So no more moving around busy work.
Same for battles. Auto AI and time skipping so no more busy work pressing buttons.
<sarcasm>end

Point being BUSY WORK IS what defines RPG and immersion. In my book, the more the better.

I LOVE busy work. I really wish Larian could add a bazilion more containers everywhere. But you get clues on what to open/check out through dialogue or LORE/history. Hey, RPG immersion! This ain't Diablo.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 02/04/23 02:43 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
How about making ALL loot once you enter an area to auto transfer to your inventory.
That isn't so far from Pathfinder games, where you can transfer all the loot you didn't pick in a zone before leaving.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
That isn't so far from Pathfinder games, where you can transfer all the loot you didn't pick in a zone before leaving.
approvegauntlet

veteran
veteran
Point being BUSY WORK IS what defines RPG and immersion. In my book, the more the better.
I quite disagree. Roleplaying defines an RPG, and consistent, believable rules lead to immersion. Trying to streamline a game, can lead to a gamification of systems and therefore lesser immersion, but one can have quality of life features, while have the game remain systematically believable, consistent and immersive.

Baldur’s Gate3, impressively, fails on both fronts. It’s systems often don’t make any logical sense, and they can be tedious. In inventory alone, we have:
1) infinite stash - to which we can send anything at any time, and which we can access anything at any time.
2) magic pockets and an ability to send anything to anyone at any point

So about as immersive as Pillars of Eternity’s magic unlimited stash, just more tedious.

There was an interview with the maker of Weird West (ex-arcane Dev), where he said that he likes making systematically consistent games, as from small stuff like inventory, containers, physical items eventually gameplay comes out. What BG3 lacks is…. gameplay.

Yes, BG3 has inventory, containers to search with no gameplay or expression to it. It is JUST a busy work. It is possible that if another studio took Larian engine and systems, they would find a role for box searching. Maybe Larian will get there before 1.0. As it is now, it is just a bit tedious, though I would blame it primary on inefficient UI, rather than the amount of boxes.

Last edited by Wormerine; 02/04/23 04:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
There was an interview with the maker of Weird West (ex-arcane Dev), where he said that he likes making systematically consistent games, as from small stuff like inventory, containers, physical items eventually gameplay comes out. What BG3 lacks is…. gameplay.

Yes, BG3 has inventory, containers to search with no gameplay or expression to it. It is JUST a busy work. It is possible that if another studio took Larian engine and systems, they would find a role for box searching. Maybe Larian will get there before 1.0. As it is now, it is just a bit tedious, though I would blame it primary on inefficient UI, rather than the amount of boxes.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The real problem is that no aspect of BG3s inventory is fun or even interesting to interact with. It's only a chore. Choosing not to interact with chests and stuff isn't an interesting decision. The decision is "do I feel like checking these boxes to see if there's anything interesting?" The only thing really in question is how in the mood you are to deal with looking. The way loot works in the game, it's rare that you're in a position where the loot you find in the wild will be all that useful in the event you're in dire straits. You might have to dig through chests and stuff if you're really broke, but odds are you're not going to find much that's really worth anything. You'll just find little one or two gold items that you'll eventually sell in bulk. And since the contents are randomized, it's not even like they're typically all that flavorful in their contents either.

From what I played of BG1, I would say that actually handled items a little bit better. You were very limited in what items you could carry, moreso than in BG3. So you actually had to make interesting choices about what you would or wouldn't keep in your inventory. Those choices aren't present in BG3. You end up just accumulating stuff that you'll either forget about, keep so you can use later by navigating the tedious inventory menus, or sell via a tedious merchant system. To Turnipsome, the reaon busywork in RPGs is immersive and entertaining is because it actually serves a higher purpose. It's not the busywork itself, it's the fact that you're in a position to have to do it. It's interesting because you need ingredients to craft with, new gear to equip. Ultimately the busywork enables you to interact with another interesting system. What's the interesting system that searching crates and boxes in BG3 leads you to interact with? Instead it leads you to interact with an inventory system that's at best passable and at worst frustating and dull.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
From what I played of BG1, I would say that actually handled items a little bit better. You were very limited in what items you could carry, moreso than in BG3. So you actually had to make interesting choices about what you would or wouldn't keep in your inventory. Those choices aren't present in BG3. You end up just accumulating stuff that you'll either forget about, keep so you can use later by navigating the tedious inventory menus, or sell via a tedious merchant system.
Yes, BG1&2 small inventory space made it more deliberate, but more importantly BG3 is very selective with lootable objects, so there is limited amount of things to click, and in general things are worth clicking - comes with BG1&2 bing 2d games with barrels and crates being part of the background, rather than spawned in objects. Still, for all my dislike of Enhanced Editions, I do appreciate the "loot area" feature - I am fine with saying to the DM "now I loot the bodies", rather than having to click one by one on each.

And for the record, I don't think boxes are a big issue in BG3, though understably it is annoying to some. Back in D:OS2 I wished for highlight button showcasing important objects only, so I am perfectly satisfied with BG3 filtering important stuff for me.

Last edited by Wormerine; 02/04/23 09:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don’t want to start a new thread to ask this, so will ask here. Did the inventory screen get smaller with recent patches? Just fired up game after many months and I feel like the inventory is much smaller now making loot harder to see.

Or I could just be crazy…

O
stranger
stranger
O
i dont think larian should give you an easy life if you want to loot every box in the game. The indication for loot is a lock icon

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard