Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
R
R
'Cult classics' are a thing. Planescape: Torment has great writing, but I wouldn't call the entire game a masterpiece. I'd say it has great writing. Most people I talk to would say that. Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines has great options for roleplaying, also unbalanced and buggy AF. People usually own that when recommending and I never hear it called a 'masterpiece.' Fallout: New Vegas is another one. Even things that legitimately defined genres, like Diablo 2 don't get called such lofty words lightly.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
I agree. BG3 has more flashy, sensory overloading content than fights that mechanically engage the brain.
First playthrough was fun but i couldn't dare another go.
Completing the neural network puzzle brought a strange rush though (idk if it was the voice in background).
10/10 game for first playthrough.

Last edited by Harry7T; 17/10/23 09:00 AM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Pretty much. Previous BG games did not have flashy graphics so they had to score with writing and story.

BG3 has bad writing and story and tries to distract from that with animations and sex.
Yes, that wows people that have never played an RPG in their life, but not the people who played the old masterpiece and recognize BG3 for the poser it is.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal
Yes, that wows people that have never played an RPG in their life, but not the people who played the old masterpiece and recognize BG3 for the poser it is.
I do think you are omitting things BG3 does well. Its systems are comprehensive and its design does allow from really impressive player choice and reactivity from system perspective, even if narratively they might not be terribly interesting.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by Ixal
Pretty much. Previous BG games did not have flashy graphics so they had to score with writing and story.

BG3 has bad writing and story and tries to distract from that with animations and sex.

Oh no! No hate against Larian. This game is a master piece of art. I doubt we would get any expansions for this game apart from definitive edition with modding tool kit, however i would wish Larian stick with DnD and give games showcased in portal chamber in house of hope ASAP as well! Those games would appreciatively cover shortcomings of this game lot of which are complained about in forums...

Last edited by Harry7T; 17/10/23 10:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
I think that while the main story's writing is rather poor and clearly unpolished, there's plenty of character writing that's solid and enjoyable. There is a version of this game that doesn't emphasize the main story as much and instead leans on characters and exploration that is far better than what we have now.

J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I think that while the main story's writing is rather poor and clearly unpolished, there's plenty of character writing that's solid and enjoyable. There is a version of this game that doesn't emphasize the main story as much and instead leans on characters and exploration that is far better than what we have now.

To be honest I always felt that way about BG1+2. Never that interested in the main story; it was carried by the exploration and the characters.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rahaya
I am perfectly okay loving to death a game because it's my shit, and I'm also okay with it getting a 6/10 score and would probably agree with it because it's also got huge flaws. I am also cognizant of flaws that may not bother me at all, but am empathetic enough to never dismiss it bothering others or to downplay it as 'not detracting from the experience.' For one, you haven't played it without that flaw, so how do you know it doesn't detract from the experience? It can be fun despite that flaw, but that's not the same thing as the flaw 'not counting'. It doesn't have to be 'perfect' but it also shouldn't be rife with issues, which BG3 IS and using lack of perfection as a defense is a Nirvana Fallacy.
All of this I like and agree with. It is honest, and it gives consideration to how others might see things differently from yourself, and that those other perspectives and perceptions are legitimate and valid.

addict
addict
I don't know if this allowed by mod or not but allow me to inform "muh RTwP" folk of this Kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult?ref=6hhijf

Black Geyser (game already exist) is a RTwP game that inspired by ye olde Badurian's Gata (specifically the original one). It is not popular and thy have been struggling since Day 1, but depsite their financial struggle, the game got released and it was, in all account: "Good".

But apparently RTwP is so niche, the market cannot sustain the company, thus they need help to release their DLC.

I personally like the game, it might be not the best game ever but with its limitation it had done splendidly.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Great find, thanks for pointing it out. BG3 has awaken among many of us the return to our first love, the CPRG and finding there are so many that have slipped under the radar is a gold mine to me. One thing I would wish however is the RTwP design go away. Either be real time or turn based.

Last edited by Zentu; 18/10/23 12:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
I don't know if this allowed by mod or not but allow me to inform "muh RTwP" folk of this Kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult?ref=6hhijf

Black Geyser (game already exist) is a RTwP game that inspired by ye olde Badurian's Gata (specifically the original one). It is not popular and thy have been struggling since Day 1, but depsite their financial struggle, the game got released and it was, in all account: "Good".

But apparently RTwP is so niche, the market cannot sustain the company, thus they need help to release their DLC.

I personally like the game, it might be not the best game ever but with its limitation it had done splendidly.
Thanks for posting this. I love this game; I supported its original KS; and I too have been advertising this KS for the DLC project wherever I can. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zentu
One thing I would wish however is the RTwP design go away. Either be real time or turn based.
Sorry, but I don't get this. What's the difference between a game being RT and RTwP? If you play a RTwP game without pausing it, you get to have your RT game. Pausing is optional. Why would you want to take that option away from people like me who love it and want it?

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
For me it is hassle of needing to pause. If I get distracted the game could keep running while I am looking away.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
One thing I would wish however is the RTwP design go away. Either be real time or turn based.
Sorry, but I don't get this. What's the difference between a game being RT and RTwP? If you play a RTwP game without pausing it, you get to have your RT game. Pausing is optional. Why would you want to take that option away from people like me who love it and want it?

IF I'm not mistaken, BG1 & 2 are not really RT, they are also based on initiative and rounds. Only, the rounds follow eachother without pause. So your archer rolls initiative and does nothing until it is his turn in the round, shoots his arrow and then does nothing again until his turn in the next round.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ldo58

IF I'm not mistaken, BG1 & 2 are not really RT, they are also based on initiative and rounds. Only, the rounds follow eachother without pause. So your archer rolls initiative and does nothing until it is his turn in the round, shoots his arrow and then does nothing again until his turn in the next round.
Correct. And this was also the case with the NwN games, and is the case with the RTwP option in the two Pathfinder games.

R
R
For me it is hassle of needing to pause. If I get distracted the game could keep running while I am looking away.
You do realize the only game type this applies to is pure turn based, even though you said full real time was fine, correct?

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
You do realize the only game type this applies to is pure turn based, even though you said full real time was fine, correct?
Depends on the game type. For a CRPG solo play with party dynamics I feel like (personal opinion) that turn base is better. I love hearing people refer to the fact RTwP was used in the earlier games. When those games launched a LOT of us begged for a turn based option instead.

The idea of RTwP is not in itself bad, it is just a lot of us came from Table Top gaming so the game play dynamic felt off. The idea of RTwP is that the events of the turn happen purely simultaneously so you use the pause to set the action and then unpause to see the effect. I am sure there are many that like it and that is cool, but I feel if you have that dynamic you should allow for a pure turn based mode as well.

As I said the nostalgia crowd however, I feel, are either look back with rosed colored glasses or did not play when these games launched because I recall the various BBS and other forum discussion groups begging for turn based solutions.

R
R

Depends on the game type. For a CRPG solo play with party dynamics I feel like (personal opinion) that turn base is better. I love hearing people refer to the fact RTwP was used in the earlier games. When those games launched a LOT of us begged for a turn based option instead.

The idea of RTwP is not in itself bad, it is just a lot of us came from Table Top gaming so the game play dynamic felt off. The idea of RTwP is that the events of the turn happen purely simultaneously so you use the pause to set the action and then unpause to see the effect. I am sure there are many that like it and that is cool, but I feel if you have that dynamic you should allow for a pure turn based mode as well.

As I said the nostalgia crowd however, I feel, are either look back with rosed colored glasses or did not play when these games launched because I recall the various BBS and other forum discussion groups begging for turn based solutions.
...your opinion is noted, but that does not answer the question in any fashion.

Great find, thanks for pointing it out. BG3 has awaken among many of us the return to our first love, the CPRG and finding there are so many that have slipped under the radar is a gold mine to me. One thing I would wish however is the RTwP design go away. Either be real time or turn based.
Your response was the hassle of pausing. Which is something you need to do in RT as well, as per the initial question was about RT vs RTwP as was mine, not about who felt what way about Turn Based Combat. And as an aside, as I do expect you to answer the actual question, the more considerate, inclusive opinion would be hoping for turn based to be included as an option more regularly going forward instead of forcing it on others because you don't like manually pausing.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
BG3 has actually made me think that RTWP with a turn-based option might be needed.

Let me put it this way. During important fights, I think turn based is clearly the superior option. But not every fight is going to be an important fight. Some fights *in every game* are going to be easy fights. In fact, some fights that are important fights on some playthroughs, are going to be easy fights on other playthroughs (like if you explore more and get to a higher level before you hit them.) And for the easy fights, turn based becomes tedious. It would be much better to have a real-time option to mow through them quickly. The alternative is to intricately balance every fight in the game, including things like level scaling, so that they feel important.

The problem is that it's not simply having it as an option; switching between real time and turn based has big effects on the game. For one, turn-based almost always ends up being much easier. Especially in a high-information environment like BG3. Simply being able to target enemies, knowing their turn order, and exactly how much health they have, so that you can take them out before they can even have a turn is *huge.* You get hit FAR less than you would in a real time environment. Going from turn based to real time really changes the dynamic of combat. Thats why I always thought that the best RT system would be one designed from the bottom up to be real-time, rather than an adaptaton of a turn-based system. Deadfire did that. Then they were pressured to add a turn-based mode, because of DOS2, and we got to see how janky the reverse was, too: Going from a real-time system to a turn-based system, when things were balanced around the idea of real-time combat, REALLY screwed things up.

But still. Though I think turn-based is superior for the battles where it really matters, BG3 convinced me more than ever of the value of RTWP. There needs to be a way to get through the easier combats quickly.

addict
addict
I played BG1 but didn't get very far into it, and one of the reasons was the RTWP. Now maybe if I had persevered longer and gotten to understand it better, it might be different, but I don't like it and would certainly not have bought BG3 if it had not been turnbased.
That said I understand the reasoning behind switching to some kind of auto-mode for "easy" battles. On the other hand you would have to do all kinds of strategy setups, e.g. to prevent your lvl 5 wizard from expending his only fireball slot on a group of spiders.
(I know you set up some priorities for several actions for every character in BG1, but I never got as far as Lvl5 characters, so not sure how you would protect spell slots from being used unnecessarily)

Last edited by ldo58; 21/10/23 01:24 PM.
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard