Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by EbenezerSlack
Yeah, because being tortured over and over for 100 years would equal just slightly more than mentally scarred. If I was tortured like this for even 4 hours – killed over and over again – there would be nothing left of my sanity.

She goes through 100 years of this?

If you’re trying to explain it away with god thing, please refer to my comments re: ‘deus ex machina’.

Fantasy is considered thrash fiction, but doesn’t need to be. You’re basically endorsing a ‘no-effort’ approach to storytelling, because deus ex machina can bail out these very poor writers at any point. Maybe they should try and put in some effort instead?

Did you just compare yourself to a literal demi-god?

For a start, we don't know exactly how she feels during this entire ordeal. We don't know if she feels everything that happens to Ketheric Thorm, or if she just gets drained of power (Then if she is drained of power, we don't know how that affects her)

Secondly, there's some heightened level of pain tolerance in general for the setting. My characters can take a literal fireball to the face, be set on fire, have acid poured over them, poisoned, stabbed, shot full of arrows (Also in TT take actual full on cavalry charges) and be completely fine.

ANY SINGLE one of those things happening to a regular real world person will at best cause PTSD, at worst mentally cripple them for life.

It’s almost like this is more deus ex machina nonsense.

BG1 and BG2 had fantasy freaks who believably reacted to scenarios like this. So why are they all immune to believable reactions in BG3?

It’s because they don’t know how to write.

I dunno, I've seen plenty of writers who write characters that are relatively accepting of people. Usually with the trope of "I sense you have a good heart"

Aylin literally knows about Shadowheart's past (The exact reason why, it's never fully acertained. It's possible that when Shadowheart touched her to restore her power she transferred memories) which gives her insight into her character. Something you as a player can find out throughout the game as you get past her initial prickly exterior and find the true Shadowheart behind the brainwashing.

At the start you said she’s immune to 100 years of torture because she’s a god. But now you’re saying she’s not because…???

You can not suffer permenant mental damage from something, yet still illicit an emotional response to it.

Just look at twitter for 5 minutes and see all the emotional responses to things that are not permenantly mentally scarring.

Since I never said she was immune to the torture, just that she wasn't mentally scarred (At least to the point of being non-functional. We don't spend enough time with her character to notice if she has PTSD or such from the ordeal)

LOL – back at ya.

All of friends get plenty of sex. None of them talk about it, because it would be mental to walk into a pub and have your mate just suddenly launch into a lecture about how they banged the wife…

No one does that man – especially friends. My friends are getting non-stop sex because they are married, but they never mention it because they’re not freaking insane.

What are you even talking about here…

There's a difference between "A lecture about how they banged their wife" and a playful comment alluding to having sexual relations.

It's very common in many friendship circles to allude to having some sort of "Private time" on occasion. Notably if it's a reason for the lack of their presence elsewhere (In Aylin's case, she's mentioning it as a reason she won't be at your camp for a while)

E
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
E
Originally Posted by Taril
Did you just compare yourself to a literal demi-god?

Can’t recall I ever did that, no. But you’re welcome to quote me as to where I did (wtf?)

I dunno, I've seen plenty of writers who write characters that are relatively accepting of people. Usually with the trope of "I sense you have a good heart"

Have no idea how ‘accepting of people’ is relevant to what I said.

You can not suffer permenant mental damage from something, yet still illicit an emotional response to it.

The whole sentence here is a contradiction, so I can’t respond.

There's a difference between "A lecture about how they banged their wife" and a playful comment alluding to having sexual relations.

It’s not a ‘playful’ comment, because absolutely no sane person expresses anything about what happens ‘behind closed doors’.

No one mate. None.

Every one of my friends is getting sex all the time. I’m in the same position. It would be completely and utterly mental if I just started saying to a random person ‘I’m going to just ride the brains out of my wife till she can’t even speak’ – it’s a disgrace!

If she was just a normal lesbian, she would’ve kept it to herself. Why would anyone gratuitously advertise they’re going to have sex, if they’re not a) bonkers mad; or b) trying to ‘make a point’.

veteran
veteran
All of friends get plenty of sex. None of them talk about it [...]

No one does that man – especially friends. My friends are getting non-stop sex because they are married, but they never mention it because they’re not freaking insane.

So....

A) Your friends never talk about their sex lives to you, and
B) You know that your friends are all getting non-stop sex.

Which is it? Because unless you're involved in said non-stop sex with them and thus don't need to be told, or you're spying on them, then you're contradicting yourself. You've got no knowledge of that second point and nothing to base the supposition upon, if they don't tell you.
(Though this would not be the first time you've done this, I'll admit; your other dialogues were twisted into such pretzels just so you could boast about yourself in every conflicting and contradicting direction at once, on more than one occasion. It's tiresome, honestly, and detracts from the legitimate points you might otherwise have to make.)

Something that seems to keep coming up with your posts - your experience is not the universal truth and absolute yard stick for experiences for everyone. It's not the 'right' experience, or 'the most valid', or even 'the majority' experience in any way you can reasonably claim - it's An experience, and it has exactly the weight in conversation that others have; that of a single person. I'd appreciate it if you'd calm your vitriol and stopped treating other posters here like idiots or simpletons just for having differing opinions or different experiences to you; their experiences are just as valid as yours.

Larian's writing might be pretty darn bad, riddled with plot holes, late-stage rewrites that forget other elements, unresolved hooks, forgotten threads, and all tied up in a bundle of poorly hung-together coding that caused flags to false-fire or fail to fire all over the place, leading to many elements appearing where they're not supposed to, while the writing surrounding them is so poorly hacked together that its' sometimes difficult to even tell if something was a misfire bug, or intended... But a Great Many people over the past couple of years have managed to have perfectly reasonable discussion about those details without your degree of verbal violence towards the options of other posters, or the haughty, boastful superiority that you seem determined to inject into your every post.

Last edited by Niara; 24/12/23 12:57 AM.
E
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
E
Originally Posted by Niara
Which is it? Because unless you're involved in said non-stop sex with them and thus don't need to be told, or you're spying on them, then you're contradicting yourself.

My friends are very calm, happy people. I’m very calm and happy after I have sex with my gf, and this is TMI, but I’m just trying to address your point. It’s major stress relief… I think it’s disgraceful that I even expressed that – it’s completely gratuitous!

I was the opposite when it wasn’t ‘on drip’. I know my friends are getting loads of sex because they are extremely content people. I don’t need to ask them anything, because I know what’s going on – chill men are getting loads of sex, angry men are getting no sex…

Larian's writing might be pretty darn bad, riddled with plot holes, late-stage rewrites that forget other elements, unresolved hooks, forgotten threads, and all tied up in a bundle of poorly hung-together coding that caused flags to false-fire or fail to fire all over the place, leading to many elements appearing where they're not supposed to, while the writing surrounding them is so poorly hacked together that its' sometimes difficult to even tell if something was a misfire bug, or intended... But a Great Many people over the past couple of years have managed to have perfectly reasonable discussion about those details without your degree of verbal violence towards the options of other posters, or the haughty, boastful superiority that you seem determined to inject into your every post.

You were doing great until you passive-aggressively suggested I was being somehow anti-social.

Quote where I’m doing that please?

veteran
veteran
Soooo... you don't know. You're just making that assumption because you're assuming that everyone's experience is exactly equal to your experience.

Also...

absolutely no sane person expresses anything about what happens ‘behind closed doors’. No one mate. None.

Every one of my friends is getting sex all the time. I’m in the same position. [...] I’m very calm and happy after I have sex with my gf, and this is TMI, but I’m just trying to address your point. It’s major stress relief… [...] I was the opposite when it wasn’t ‘on drip’.

So, unless you're assigning yourself the 'absolutely not sane' card, you've disproved your own assertion; it's not a case of no-one, not ever... there are circumstances where even you deem it worth doing, otherwise you would not have. Hyperbole and exaggerations serve no-one.

Quote where I’m doing that please?

Would you like me to quote back and dissect your unacceptable etiquette and poor behaviour? I can certainly do so, if you want me to; it'll be quite off topic, and I'll put it in a spoiler so others don't have to bother reading, but if you'd legitimately like me to do so, I'll be happy to. Alternatively, because it would be quite off topic, I can message you directly - this isn't about visibility or making a point on a public stage.

Edit: For the record, it wasn't passive-aggressive suggestion of anti-social behaviour... it was advice, given openly.

Last edited by Niara; 24/12/23 01:38 AM.
E
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
E
Would you like me to quote back and dissect your unacceptable etiquette and poor behaviour?

Niara, you are a very intelligent and interesting character, I will give you that.

Such as waspish brilliant energy – I’m quite impressed…

I think you’d wear me down eventually if we kept up this ‘dance’, but I have no inclination…

I don’t fight with girls, and I don’t want to continue this…

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Locking this thread. If someone wants to talk about their complaints about this particular character in a more respectful capacity, they are welcome to make another topic. As it stands, there is little of value here.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard