Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
stranger
stranger
A
Lae'zel is good companion both story-wise and technically (as she is one of the strongest). Not so good as a romance option, as she is a slut and is proud of it, just as Halsin (well, most companions are, but others were kinda forced). All in all, she is always by my side during my playthroughs.

The worst companions for me are (starting from the worst):
Halsin (no need to explain, I guess);
Gale (really, hate the guy from the days he tried to be my little bitch on all occasions (devs said it was a bug), but he is just overall annoying, and if he becomes a God he just reaches pinnacles of annoyance).
Wyll (hoped to make him my main party member, but it turned out he is incredibly weak, also dumb and over-enthusiastic, full of himself hypocrite).

Last edited by Arcturus; 11/12/23 02:39 PM.
old hand
old hand
Lae'Zel is actually my favorite of the companions.
For one, she is the one that actually drives the main plot; without her - there is no stake in the whole choosing-at-the-end. She is rather rude, for sure... But I kind of respect an honest person that just flat out says what is on her mind. Also, she gives as good as she takes. She actually respects you for it if you stand up to her. I love debating our respective noses.

Now then, she is by no means the most unlikeable character ever created in a video game. Off the top of my head, I can name a bunch from roughly the same genre that would qualify well before Lae'Zel does.

Preston Garvey, Dandelion, Disciple are all waaaay worse. Hells, she's not even the worst Gith Follower in D&D Adventure games, because Zhjaeve was in Neverwinter Nights 2 and she is *the most annoying ever*, "Know the knowledge that is known to be known when its known!"

Lae'zel's not even the most unlikeable character in this game, because the Emperor is in it.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Lae'zel's not even the most unlikeable character in this game, because the Emperor is in it.

Not to forget Wulbren and the dog lady.

old hand
old hand
Wulbren? Wulbren is alright, he's on a quest. I like Wulbren. Volo, on the other hand... He's annoying by design, and gods they nailed it.

Oh, the dog lady. Shit... Has anyone *ever* handed Scratch over to her? Not even when save scummig would I try that 'to see what happens'. I don't want to know. It would break my heart. I'll murder a thousand bards in my camp before I resort to that kind of evil. Dog freedom!

And lets not forget that BG1/2 had tons of stupidly annoying NPC's to hang out with. Ajantis who can;t formulate a sentence without mentioning Helm. Aerie annoys you faster than Chiktikka Fastpaws. Even Minsc and that screeching Boo sound [and the fact that he's one of the WORST companions in the originals]

Oh, and then there's the terrible Beamdog additions. Holy crap, I forgot all about them. Bwegh, Neera's cringey voice just sends shivers down my spine. Neera is *hands down* the least likeable character in all of Baldur's Gate, with Dorn and Rasaad following close behind. Shame, because her class and ToB mission are *awesome*

I definitely don't hate a companion, why should I? I don't think Lae'zel is that bad, and she's my favorite of all the Githyanki.

veteran
veteran

And Halsin and Wulbren.

But in earnest, I like Lae'zel, she is honest with you since the beginning and she is totally inclined to hold herend of the bargain . I can respect that. ANd she has such a great development.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
A
stranger
stranger
A
Oh, forgot about the Emperor (not that I want to remember him). Yeah, indeed, Halsin does have a real competition here.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Wulbren is mean to Barcus, among other things. Halsin is fine until you recruit him as a follower, then he gets a bit creepy at times.

old hand
old hand
Oh, I got Barcus and Wulbren mixed up. I rather like Barcus, but Wulbren is, indeed, a bit of an arse.

journeyman
journeyman
Lae'zel is my favorite companion.

I really hope that should there ever be an expansion or a BG4 and you somehow meet your old companions, or can take a few back with you, that Lae'zel will be back smile

The Githyanki are something like the Klingons from Star Trek hehe...

Out for a fight, honor, don't value anyone else, have their traditions and belief in something.

But Lae`zel is actually the character at heart, with very good traits, because she is very loyal and yet can always adapt.

She is also the best fighter ever. So no matter which class I give her, she always cuts the best figure in it and always seems a tick stronger than the rest ^^

OP, you spelled "Halsin" wrong.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
old hand
old hand
Well, in all of my playthroughs, Lae’zel is an incredible, loyal friend with a spot-on dead-pan sense of humor, and she (Act 3 major spoilers and epilogue spoilers)
practically kills the netherbrain all by herself with a haste potion, and then just letting her loose to spin. She’s not somebody who lets you down, I can say that much. And I adore her. I’m not able to romance her because I have some severe Shadowheart brainrot, as they call it, haha. But Lae’zel is my second favorite character.

And I chose to persuade her to stay in Faerun and figure out what she wants to do with her life, apart from Vlaakith and Orpheus. In the epilogue, she seemed so happy. She had made a lot of new friends with whom she was fighting against Vlaakith’s forces on the Sword Coast, liberating creches. And she was raising the kid from the gith egg as her son. She said that she was raising him to choose his own destiny (a scholar or whatever he wanted to be, not a warrior brutalized like Lae’zel had been). Just like she had been able to determine her own destiny. I was tickled to death. (Btw another theme of breaking generational trauma anyone? Astarion lovers can get behind that.)

She really is a tremendous character and, you know, if you’re writing her off for shallow reasons, then you ought to think better of it. Lae’zel is an absolute boss, one of the best characters I’ve ever seen in a video game (also, love you Shadowheart), and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. Plus, it feels so GOOD when she greets you in the epilogue and calls you “old friend.” She is never not in my party.

Just wanted to gush a little about my favorite little green lizard.
<3

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ValkyrieN7
OP, you spelled "Halsin" wrong.

Best answer laezelapprove

Honestly, I love Lae'zel, she grows so much during our journey.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
S
old hand
old hand
S
I'm generally willing to do companion arcs just to see them at least once in person, but I get it insofar that I kill Minthara every time. I just don't find her compelling

enthusiast
enthusiast
I absolutely love Laezael, has the second best arc in the game, great writing and an great performance.

If this thread was about Gale maybe I'd support it but, no way Laez

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
addict
Online Content
addict
Lae'zel is a great character and the voice acting was amazing.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Lae'zel in Act 3 can be a great companion, depending upon your choices; she's demonstrated personal growth, she returns loyalty and is now generally willing to bang heads for the greater good.

The problem as I see it, though, is that in order to get her to that stage you have to 'game the game' and make some immersion breaking choices along the way.

stranger
stranger
I understand disliking Lae'zel for her actions and words in Act 1, at least. Kind of. But she's just a githyanki trying to do her best for her kin and her leader. I also like how she and Shadowheart bicker in the beginning of the story. And it's not like she is evil, skeezy, or bad-mannered. Now, Cazador and Gortash on the other hand...

Honestly though, I like Lae'zel. She's not my favorite but I understand her character and her motivations. She is commendable for aggressively defending and trusting Vlaakith in Act 1 and 2 despite what others say about her. She is equally as commendable for how she rightfully gives up on Vlaakith after choosing to believe her betrayal. I say, good for her! What a badass.

Well, that's just disgusting.
S
S
Originally Posted by noirangel
I understand disliking Lae'zel for her actions and words in Act 1, at least. Kind of. But she's just a githyanki trying to do her best for her kin and her leader. I also like how she and Shadowheart bicker in the beginning of the story. And it's not like she is evil, skeezy, or bad-mannered. Now, Cazador and Gortash on the other hand...
Laezel is evil, though, as most githyanki are. They are a supremacist, xenophobic race, which view others as their lesser, and whose society is sustained by raiding other worlds. The Lathander monastery is an example of that; the githyanki have invaded the place, murdered all the monks and people looking for healing, in order to establish their creche. If you are familiar with githyanki, there is little reason to trust Laezel in the beginning of the game. Because even if her people had a cure, it is very unlikely they would offer it to an outsider.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by saeran
Laezel is evil, though, as most githyanki are. They are a supremacist, xenophobic race, which view others as their lesser, and whose society is sustained by raiding other worlds.

None of that makes her evil though.

Heck, you can literally use the same description for humans IRL. Does that make every human inherently evil? Are YOU evil?

Lae'zel shows time and again, she is significantly less "Evil" than others of her race. Literally, from the moment you meet her and she DOESN'T just cut you down where you stand.

Beyond that, she allies with you to go looking for the creche. Since she actually gives a damn about life despite the harsh societal values imprinted on her from birth. Any other Githyanki would simply kill your party and go find the creche on their own (Or fight everything they can find looking for a worthy adversary to kill themselves on).

Even when she has a disagreement with Shadowheart. Not only does she NOT kill her (If you pursuade them not to kill other) but then agrees to become amicable with someone she hates. Again, showing that she's not a ruthless murder frog like Githyanki are raised to be.

Lae'zel is a character, who much like Shadowheart, is a caring and sensitive character trapped within a brainwashed hostile shell. Lae'zel is trapped behind the Githyanki upbringing which is a cold, crass and ruthless society. Shadowheart is trapped behind the Sharran ideology which is all about hating on Selunites and being dicks about it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard